The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica Compact Cameras

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I saw it. I shot it.

Then I shot it again.:)

Leica X1:
It took me several tries before I figured out what I was seeing and then got the joke. It's beautiful even without "getting it", which makes it all the better.

M

Robert Campbell

We put some holographic stickers on the windows recently; they are supposed to stop birds flying into the windows. They are quite successful. The colours vary with the viewing angle; they can be remarkably vibrant at times, particularly the green. They are surprisingly difficult to photograph, for the colours come out quite muted. I had a go on the CL thread recently (here). This is today's effort with the DL7:

dave.gt

We put some holographic stickers on the windows recently; they are supposed to stop birds flying into the windows. They are quite successful. The colours vary with the viewing angle; they can be remarkably vibrant at times, particularly the green. They are surprisingly difficult to photograph, for the colours come out quite muted. I had a go on the CL thread recently (here). This is today's effort with the DL7:

Hi, Robert,

Looks great to me!:thumbup:

What do you think about comparing the results with the CL?:)

Robert Campbell

Hi, Robert,

Looks great to me!:thumbup:

What do you think about comparing the results with the CL?:)
Thanks, Dave. The CL pix were taken from a slightly different position, rather closer to the window.

If you look at the right-hand pane of the window on the left, you can just see the green birdie through the bush. Green really is a bright "neon" colour, much more vibrant than the others. I have fiddled with both the CL and the DL pix in Lr, adding vibrance, trying to add saturation, but I find that to reproduce the reality of the birdie colours the flowers in the foreground become very unnaturally saturated. (They were both raw images, converted in Lr.)

The birdie colours and their vibrance is very dependent on position. I was sitting for the DL ones, but even so just raising the camera to my eye slightly changed things. If someone sits in the seat to my left they see different colours.

I tried without the UV filter; there was no change. I was hoping to see what effect a polarizing filter has, but there's no sun at present; in dull weather the birdies are silver-grey.

It's obviously a fairly trivial point; the perceived colours aren't anyway natural, yet they don't record faithfully, and it puzzles me why this is so.

dave.gt

Thanks, Dave. The CL pix were taken from a slightly different position, rather closer to the window.

If you look at the right-hand pane of the window on the left, you can just see the green birdie through the bush. Green really is a bright "neon" colour, much more vibrant than the others. I have fiddled with both the CL and the DL pix in Lr, adding vibrance, trying to add saturation, but I find that to reproduce the reality of the birdie colours the flowers in the foreground become very unnaturally saturated. (They were both raw images, converted in Lr.)

The birdie colours and their vibrance is very dependent on position. I was sitting for the DL ones, but even so just raising the camera to my eye slightly changed things. If someone sits in the seat to my left they see different colours.

I tried without the UV filter; there was no change. I was hoping to see what effect a polarizing filter has, but there's no sun at present; in dull weather the birdies are silver-grey.

It's obviously a fairly trivial point; the perceived colours aren't anyway natural, yet they don't record faithfully, and it puzzles me why this is so.
You know ... I have had many instances like that. Using different cameras, different lenses, and even trying different filters. The polarizer may work... but however both images look good to me!

It may be that you would need to select each bird and use PS to independently make color changes without affecting the rest of the image.

I gave up on most of my problems that were similar, but a few worked ok. I will be watching for your results!:thumbup:

Robert Campbell

Ah, all so very English, Keith. Charming rusticality.

You might need to explain to some here, that you still have to pay for the ale in a "Free House"! :)

KeithDM

Sadly indeed there is no such thing as free beer. :( The designation means that the pub is not tied to a particular brewery and so is "free" to stock and sell beers from various breweries.