The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Confirmed: Leica, Nikon and Olympus won't be attending Photokina 2020

msadat

I am not sure how to interpret this news! these companies have no new products or what! the cost of attending won't be that much for this size companies

darr

I am not sure how to interpret this news! these companies have no new products or what! the cost of attending won't be that much for this size companies
Yes I read that too. A sign of the times ...

Kind regards,
Darr

scho

Coming full circle? I've already started shooting mostly film again and if need be I can go back further to glass plates with my Rollei. Digital perfection is not always the best end result.

Shashin

Perhaps trade shows are not the best avenue for promotion any longer. And they are expensive for camera divisions.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
IMO Photokina (and other trade shows) have lost a lot of appeal. To be serious I can easily keep up to date with the latest camera news following the right Youtube channels and if I need to handle a camera there are several stores in town where I can do just that. At a trade show usually all is much more crowded and one cannot really spend time with the product.

For vendors it is obviously better (and maybe cheaper) to organise special events whenever they launch significant new product, so attention is definitely much higher if this is not during a trade show.

I guess this will become more and more how the future may look like for photography trade shows.

iiiNelson

IMO Photokina (and other trade shows) have lost a lot of appeal. To be serious I can easily keep up to date with the latest camera news following the right Youtube channels and if I need to handle a camera there are several stores in town where I can do just that. At a trade show usually all is much more crowded and one cannot really spend time with the product.

For vendors it is obviously better (and maybe cheaper) to organise special events whenever they launch significant new product, so attention is definitely much higher if this is not during a trade show.

I guess this will become more and more how the future may look like for photography trade shows.
I think it’s a sign of economic times and more effectively getting your products the spotlight with either a pre or post event press coverage. The Z had a few weeks of near exclusive coverage when they announced until Canon did their announcement. Photokina 2018 was highlighted by the GFX 100 and LUMIX S cameras. Pretty much everything else was mostly an afterthought. It’s easy to get lost in the shuffle there and it’s why companies like Sony and Fuji have been doing off cycle press events with established entities and social media personalities for years now. I assume they spend their Photokina budget across the span of what 3-5 events would cost.