Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Irwin Puts Says Farewell to Leica?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Irwin Puts Says Farewell to Leica?

I am not feeling sad about Erwin, I did not like his attitude during the last years anyway, so better let him go.

WRT modern Leica mirrorless bodies (and lenses) - after a while now I start liking the idea to buy an SL2 body just for using my M lenses. It is cheaper as an M10 (or whatever will come in the next years), has a perfect EVF that makes manual focusing a breeze, has IBIS that probably never will come in a digital M and finally if I decide I could get one or two of the modern clinical SL lenses and use it with decent AF.

IMO Leica is just on the right way
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I am not feeling sad about Erwin, I did not like his attitude during the last years anyway, so better let him go.

WRT modern Leica mirrorless bodies (and lenses) - after a while now I start liking the idea to buy an SL2 body just for using my M lenses. It is cheaper as an M10 (or whatever will come in the next years), has a perfect EVF that makes manual focusing a breeze, has IBIS that probably never will come in a digital M and finally if I decide I could get one or two of the modern clinical SL lenses and use it with decent AF.

IMO Leica is just on the right way
    Also, keep in mind itís going to be about the same size as the LUMIX S that you stated was too large for your personal desires. The SL2 looks great on paper and in practice... but is it actually right for YOU based on your list of desired features?
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Also, keep in mind it’s going to be about the same size as the LUMIX S that you stated was too large for your personal desires. The SL2 looks great on paper and in practice... but is it actually right for YOU based on your list of desired features?
    Well, I kind of gave up on finding a right camera for my M lenses that is not Leica, as it always also implies for me to build a native non Leica FF system which duplicates a number of the lenses I already have in my M lineup. I am sure no 3rd party camera can be as good as a native Leica with M lenses.

Why the SL2? Because I would use it mainly as a digital M replacement - as I mentioned it is cheaper than any modern M that interests me and IF I want I could also add a few native SL lenses (maybe zooms, maybe just non Leica L-mount lenses) and call it a day. And shoot this in parallel to my Olympus m43 gear I already own and will most probably never sell as I will not get much money out of that.

So 2 systems - Olympus for "fast, quick and dirty shooting" and also extreme telephoto use and Leica SL for when I really want to work with my M glass. And for that the SL2 seems to be the best piece of gear hands down.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I kind of gave up on finding a right camera for my M lenses that is not Leica, as it always also implies for me to build a native non Leica FF system which duplicates a number of the lenses I already have in my M lineup. I am sure no 3rd party camera can be as good as a native Leica with M lenses.

Why the SL2? Because I would use it mainly as a digital M replacement - as I mentioned it is cheaper than any modern M that interests me and IF I want I could also add a few native SL lenses (maybe zooms, maybe just non Leica L-mount lenses) and call it a day. And shoot this in parallel to my Olympus m43 gear I already own and will most probably never sell as I will not get much money out of that.

So 2 systems - Olympus for "fast, quick and dirty shooting" and also extreme telephoto use and Leica SL for when I really want to work with my M glass. And for that the SL2 seems to be the best piece of gear hands down.
    Makes sense... and also a similar conclusion that Iíve come to.

Sony for my business kit and Iím heavily leaning towards adding a LUMIX S body for my personal kit... or maybe a G9 too since theyíve cut the price heavily. I thought about the GFX but I donít want the 100 megapixels and older bodies give up a certain amount of speed. I like the SL2 but I canít deal with not having a tilting screen personally. Itís really the thing that took it out of consideration. I think the video specs are good enough that theyíre worth the premium over the S1R (if one wanted to utilize them) but perhaps Panasonic will firmware update the S1R (to add 10-bit, LOG key option, and maybe C4K) since its nearly the same price as the S1H.

Post Thanks / Like

Who?

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense... and also a similar conclusion that Iíve come to.

Sony for my business kit and Iím heavily leaning towards adding a LUMIX S body for my personal kit... or maybe a G9 too since theyíve cut the price heavily. I thought about the GFX but I donít want the 100 megapixels and older bodies give up a certain amount of speed. I like the SL2 but I canít deal with not having a tilting screen personally. Itís really the thing that took it out of consideration. I think the video specs are good enough that theyíre worth the premium over the S1R (if one wanted to utilize them) but perhaps Panasonic will firmware update the S1R (to add 10-bit, LOG key option, and maybe C4K) since its nearly the same price as the S1H.
    Yes absolutely agree!

If I would not want to use (reuse) all my M glass than I would not even consider the SL2 but go with Panasonic FF.

But hey, owning the 1/50 Nocti, the 1.4/75, the WATE, the 2.8/24, 2.8/28, 2/35 ASPH, 1.4/35 ASPH, 1.4/50 ASPH, 2/75, 2/90 ASPH and finally the 3.4/135/ASPH why should I want to buy new glass replacing these beauties? If I can make them shine on a SL2 again

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes absolutely agree!

If I would not want to use (reuse) all my M glass than I would not even consider the SL2 but go with Panasonic FF.

But hey, owning the 1/50 Nocti, the 1.4/75, the WATE, the 2.8/24, 2.8/28, 2/35 ASPH, 1.4/35 ASPH, 1.4/50 ASPH, 2/75, 2/90 ASPH and finally the 3.4/135/ASPH why should I want to buy new glass replacing these beauties? If I can make them shine on a SL2 again
    It is a very very tough decision to exit M glass - took me 2 years of back and forth in my thinking. What I realised was I was holding on to gear that I 'used to love' shooting with - nostalgia is a drug.

What tipped the scales for me was a combination of Fuji when the GFX100 was announced but more importantly - when I started really testing the new Leica L primes on my SL.

I've bought an SL2 because of the primes - best glass Leica has ever made- by a long way - only things that come close are the best of the TL lenses on a CL. I think Peter, you might consider an SL body to use your M lenses on - the SL2 is 'wasted' on M glass - you don't have autofocus and you don't have the resolving power or to be frank the rendering beauty of the new crons - they are all outstanding - and really how many focal lengths does one really need?

My GFX is for landscapes and when I want to print very large...my SL's are for events and some lifestyle/editorial shooting I occasionally get roped in for.If I was just making happy snaps - I'd probably just use a CL with the 11-23 | 35/1.4 and 60 macro as a kit - hard to beat for quality.

You are 'stuck' because of your M lens inventory - difficult place to be - I've been there.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Although the SL and SL2 are more optimized for M glass than the Panasonic S1 and S1R etc., not all is a panacea with M glass on the SL...most notably some (not all) of the wide's and ultra wide's (even though obviously they are better than on the Panasonic's and unaltered Sony's). Clearly they work best on an M body and although a different beast, work extremely well on the APS Leica CL, due to it's crop factor. I'm not suggesting image wise, there is no difference between a Leica SL and CL, but I almost think money wise and also performance wise regarding some of the wide's and ultra wide's M glass, that a CL might actually be a better choice. Then again lenses like the 50mm Noct and 74mm f1.4, do balance better on a SL. There really is no one perfect, ideal solution and it comes down to where one is willing to make compromises for their type of work/photography.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 1 Week Ago at 22:12.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes absolutely agree!

I hear you but personally I’d trade in the M versions of my favorite focal lengths for the SL Summicron versions. For me that would include the 35, 90, and the upcoming 21. For a 50 I think I’d look at the LUMIX S Pro 50/1.4 even though it’s large. From the shots I’ve seen it’s hardly distinguishable from the Leica Summilux. The Leica is better but I don’t know that it’s $3k more better. For the other lenses the M’a would be fine because frankly they wouldn’t be my most used lenses. I could also see foregoing any 50’s other than your Noctilux too.

Update... just decided to buy an S1R kit which will be here on Tuesday.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 1 Week Ago at 01:42.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    It is a very very tough decision to exit M glass - took me 2 years of back and forth in my thinking. What I realised was I was holding on to gear that I 'used to love' shooting with - nostalgia is a drug.

What tipped the scales for me was a combination of Fuji when the GFX100 was announced but more importantly - when I started really testing the new Leica L primes on my SL.

I've bought an SL2 because of the primes - best glass Leica has ever made- by a long way - only things that come close are the best of the TL lenses on a CL. I think Peter, you might consider an SL body to use your M lenses on - the SL2 is 'wasted' on M glass - you don't have autofocus and you don't have the resolving power or to be frank the rendering beauty of the new crons - they are all outstanding - and really how many focal lengths does one really need?

My GFX is for landscapes and when I want to print very large...my SL's are for events and some lifestyle/editorial shooting I occasionally get roped in for.If I was just making happy snaps - I'd probably just use a CL with the 11-23 | 35/1.4 and 60 macro as a kit - hard to beat for quality.

You are 'stuck' because of your M lens inventory - difficult place to be - I've been there.
    I am stuck there as well.
    Some years ago I started a first attemp to reduce my m-glass collection - when I relized I couldnt focus some lenses reliable anyways. Got rid of my Nocti 0,95, 75/1.4, 50/1.4.
    After getting some SL primes I use my M10 less and less. I am not willing to give it up but I really think I will get rid of some more lenses. For me M works best with 28/35 and 50mm.
    For 21mm I dont need AF so I will keep the 21/3,4 M and have that as a compact UWA for both M and SL2.
    But I really dont think I will be using any longer lenses tha 50mm on my M in the future.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I am stuck there as well.
    Some years ago I started a first attemp to reduce my m-glass collection - when I relized I couldnt focus some lenses reliable anyways. Got rid of my Nocti 0,95, 75/1.4, 50/1.4.
    After getting some SL primes I use my M10 less and less. I am not willing to give it up but I really think I will get rid of some more lenses. For me M works best with 28/35 and 50mm.
    For 21mm I dont need AF so I will keep the 21/3,4 M and have that as a compact UWA for both M and SL2.
    But I really dont think I will be using any longer lenses tha 50mm on my M in the future.
    Here is my short last 2 years camera / lens history:

1. Thinking about exiting Leica M AND SL
    2. Getting GFX50S as soon as GFX100 was announced - plus a bunch of lenses
    3. Adding Fuji XT-3 to test aps ahead of expected XPro-3
    4. Thinking I need teleconvertor for SL 90-280 so I bought a Leica CL ( plu scould use my m lenses and SL lenses on it
    5. Selling all M gear M10/MM/ WATE,Nocti, 24 Lux/35FLE Lux, 70 cron, 90AA ( keeping 50 lux)
    6. Selling GFX50S
    7. Buying GFX100
    8. Thinking about dumping SL
    9. Testing SL primes
    10. Buying SL2 with 75 cron ordering 35 cron. Keeping SL ( thinking about selling 24-90 and 90-280 because I prefer primes)
    11. Preparing to sell CL and XT-3

So my shooting kit will be reduced to SL and GFX100
    BUT soon I think

12. will either buy an XPro3 or Xpro-2 for lightweight to go with 16/1.4 | 23 /2 and 56/1.2 lenses I've already got -plus keep a right eye rangefinder style camera.

Fuji will be XPro2 or 3 + GFX100
    Leica will be SL/SL2 and 35/75 primes adding a wide when it comes out next year..for fill in I will look at Sigma L mount lenses in ART.

Hope this logic/rationale /history helps.

Pete

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my short last 2 years camera / lens history:

1. Thinking about exiting Leica M AND SL
    2. Getting GFX50S as soon as GFX100 was announced - plus a bunch of lenses
    3. Adding Fuji XT-3 to test aps ahead of expected XPro-3
    4. Thinking I need teleconvertor for SL 90-280 so I bought a Leica CL ( plu scould use my m lenses and SL lenses on it
    5. Selling all M gear M10/MM/ WATE,Nocti, 24 Lux/35FLE Lux, 70 cron, 90AA ( keeping 50 lux)
    6. Selling GFX50S
    7. Buying GFX100
    8. Thinking about dumping SL
    9. Testing SL primes
    10. Buying SL2 with 75 cron ordering 35 cron. Keeping SL ( thinking about selling 24-90 and 90-280 because I prefer primes)
    11. Preparing to sell CL and XT-3

So my shooting kit will be reduced to SL and GFX100
    BUT soon I think

12. will either buy an XPro3 or Xpro-2 for lightweight to go with 16/1.4 | 23 /2 and 56/1.2 lenses I've already got -plus keep a right eye rangefinder style camera.

Fuji will be XPro2 or 3 + GFX100
    Leica will be SL/SL2 and 35/75 primes adding a wide when it comes out next year..for fill in I will look at Sigma L mount lenses in ART.

Hope this logic/rationale /history helps.

Pete
    One thing I find cool is the flexibility between the different Leica systems. One can use the 23/2.0 on the SL2 if you want a compact kit in the evening, or you can put a 90-280 on a dx sensor if you want more reach, or an M lens on either, even use S glass with AF on the SL/SL2.

In earlier times I had M and Nikon DSLR and Leica S, so I needed each focal length for each system.

I wonder if you gain much adding a Fuji X-Pro instead of the CL?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I need to rethink all my M glass strategy again when I watch all your thoughts ....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    One thing I find cool is the flexibility between the different Leica systems. One can use the 23/2.0 on the SL2 if you want a compact kit in the evening, or you can put a 90-280 on a dx sensor if you want more reach, or an M lens on either, even use S glass with AF on the SL/SL2.

In earlier times I had M and Nikon DSLR and Leica S, so I needed each focal length for each system.

I wonder if you gain much adding a Fuji X-Pro instead of the CL?
    No I don't - which is why I am going back and forth between these two. On the positive side (for Fuji) I have the lenses I would use with it - but I must say the CL is nicer in hand and as you say lenses are interchangeable.

there is no 'wrong decision' these days, I mention all the above in context of what I said to Peter - a large inventory of expensive M glass was a nostalgic constraint on my photography - the stuff just sat there. I like autofocus and prefer EVF.

Pete

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I need to rethink all my M glass strategy again when I watch all your thoughts ....
    I guess the decision really so much about the idea of M glass versus L-mount glass. The decision is really about two contracting decisions of whether the option of autofocus and the Mandler designed look is a priority over clinically more perfect Karbe designs with the benefit of autofocusing ability. Once you figure that out then the rest is easier. Thereís a benefit to the less perfect designs and the autofocusing is partially solved by EVF design and practice. Things like zone focusing also come into play when you talk about the speed of getting ďthe shot.Ē For some the fastest autofocus is a priority and for others repeatable performance with non-focus by word lenses have their strengths too.

Sorry if this adds confusion but the reality is that selling the M lenses can reduc the direct out of pocket costs. It can als simplify your kit to the essential 2-3 lenses that you may need to do 90%+ of your FF work. You plan on keeping the Olympus for telephoto so really you only have to worry about ultra wide angle to the medium telephoto focal lengths. This can be solved with an SL2 and at 24-90... or you can just add an APO-Summicron in 21/24/28, 35/50, and 75/90 depending on your preferences for focal length.

Post Thanks / Like

Is their any evidence that the sensor cover glass or whatever of the SL2 has been tweaked to benefit M lenses or is it just wishful thinking?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Is their any evidence that the sensor cover glass or whatever of the SL2 has been tweaked to benefit M lenses or is it just wishful thinking?
    I believe itís a combination of the sensor cover glass and the in-built lens profile corrections. You can see examples here.

https://youtu.be/TXGEf7ZMDfE

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Yes the sl1 and SL2 performs very well with M lenses - in some cases better than a Leica M - this has been long established and experienced for years now by actual users of the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys don t guess subscribe to ReidReviews and look at the tests of the M glass on the M,SL,SL2 and S1R . The M is best ,,,followed by the Sl2 ,SL and S1R . The Leica sensors all have micro lenses to support the M wide angles . The S1R does not .

As has been stated above ..The SL primes just totally blow away 99% of the M lenses .

The S1R of course only has issues with the wide angle M lenses . So if you want to use a Noctilux it should be fine .

Back to Puts issues ...as new products rely more and more on computation solutions ...the character is beaten out of the products . Your files become perfect and now you work backwards to create a personal aesthetic . Leica was built on optical and mechanical precision ... in the future it will need software .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Guys don t guess subscribe to ReidReviews and look at the tests of the M glass on the M,SL,SL2 and S1R . The M is best ,,,followed by the Sl2 ,SL and S1R . The Leica sensors all have micro lenses to support the M wide angles . The S1R does not .

As has been stated above ..The SL primes just totally blow away 99% of the M lenses .

The S1R of course only has issues with the wide angle M lenses . So if you want to use a Noctilux it should be fine .

Back to Puts issues ...as new products rely more and more on computation solutions ...the character is beaten out of the products . Your files become perfect and now you work backwards to create a personal aesthetic . Leica was built on optical and mechanical precision ... in the future it will need software .
    I havenít had a subscription to Reid Reviews for more than a few years now but since I have a S1R on the way I may do another subscription to see what he has to say on lens combinations. Does anyone know if applying the software corrections in post levels the playing field more or not? It doesnít really matter to me personally... I sold all my M lenses (save for a CV 35/1.2) years ago but Iím curious as to the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Angry Re: Irwin Puts Says Farewell to Leica?

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post

Well said, Roger.

Working backwards.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

I donít object to perfect lenses. Means that I have to make the picture interesting, though, and not rely on artefacts. M lenses are less perfect than SL lenses, optically, and they donít do AF, but they are significantly easier to carry and they will last, as they have no electronic parts to rot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the sl1 and SL2 performs very well with M lenses - in some cases better than a Leica M - this has been long established and experienced for years now by actual users of the system.
    Do you mean better in terms of ergonomics (easier focusing) or in terms of better image quality? The later would surprise me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regarding Mr. Puts, I wish him well. Anyone who has amassed that amount of technical and historical information has my respect. well done, Mr. Puts.

Not that I ever read his work prior to this thread... But changes are constant and more so than ever in this contemporary universe we all know. But that is ok, I still shoot film!

I guess that makes me a hopeless retro kind of person in addition to being a hopeless romantic.

Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica sent Erwin Puts an SL2 + Summilux-SL lens. He is evaluating it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    Leica sent Erwin Puts an SL2 + Summilux-SL lens. He is evaluating it.
    How classy is that - eh? Well done Leica - if nothing else respecting a long term collaborator.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How classy is that - eh? Well done Leica - if nothing else respecting a long term collaborator.
    Either that or ďhushĒ money.

*Iím kidding.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Either that or ďhushĒ money.

*Iím kidding.
    If he can manage to use some interesting subject matter his 'writing' might be more interesting...he will definitely find that high ISO - this one @ 5000 with the fabulous 75SL cron +IBIS is a game changer for Leica SL2

or maybe even this one shot @256mm with the 90-280

shows what the camera/lens combinations are capable of....sans a proper ICC profile from C1 yet...( a 100% crop shows the nose ring in the girls face quite clearly from 70 meters away )

amazing lenses and camera...i think you are going to enjoy your Panasonic SIR

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yet...( a 100% crop shows the nose ring in the girls face quite clearly from 70 meters away )
    Yeah... girls' nose rings have always been a strong reason to use Leica cameras

In this country, buffalos have nose rings, girls not so much

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If he can manage to use some interesting subject matter his 'writing' might be more interesting...he will definitely find that high ISO - this one @ 5000 with the fabulous 75SL cron +IBIS is a game changer for Leica SL2

or maybe even this one shot @256mm with the 90-280

shows what the camera/lens combinations are capable of....sans a proper ICC profile from C1 yet...( a 100% crop shows the nose ring in the girls face quite clearly from 70 meters away )

amazing lenses and camera...i think you are going to enjoy your Panasonic SIR

I sure I am given that the A7Rii has been my primary camera for the last 4+ years. Iím used to resolution but Iím not sure how many zooms Iíll buy to be honest... I go back and forth on the 70-200/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter... but mostly Iím focusing on primes on this system with the zooms remaining on the Sony... well except the 24-105 that came with the camera... time will tell though. There is the built in ďzoomĒ converter option that crops the sensor to get more ďzoom.Ē

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Yeah... girls' nose rings have always been a strong reason to use Leica cameras

In this country, buffalos have nose rings, girls not so much
    You should visit! Most beautiful city in the world - Sydney!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sure I am given that the A7Rii has been my primary camera for the last 4+ years. Iím used to resolution but Iím not sure how many zooms Iíll buy to be honest... I go back and forth on the 70-200/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter... but mostly Iím focusing on primes on this system with the zooms remaining on the Sony... well except the 24-105 that came with the camera... time will tell though. There is the built in ďzoomĒ converter option that crops the sensor to get more ďzoom.Ē
    Sometimes I 'regret' not going Sony ( IBIS+ resolution + great lenses) - but the form factor in hand never suited. I bought myself a clutch handgrip from peak design - makes it easy to hand hold the long 90-280, wish I had come across it sooner. Looking forward to seeing Some of your shots with the S1R - I am now confused where to post on here since the Leica forum is basically dead now - L mount forum? OR will I upset Bart and post leica shots in Mt Fuji Active thread

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I 'regret' not going Sony ( IBIS+ resolution + great lenses) - but the form factor in hand never suited. I bought myself a clutch handgrip from peak design - makes it easy to hand hold the long 90-280, wish I had come across it sooner. Looking forward to seeing Some of your shots with the S1R - I am now confused where to post on here since the Leica forum is basically dead now - L mount forum? OR will I upset Bart and post leica shots in Mt Fuji Active thread
    Sony Pro Support sent me a free PD Clutch last fall. I keep it on the A7RII now and use the slide strap on other cameras now. Iím still keeping my Sony gear for pro work at least. I trust the gear to do what itís supposed to with little fuss... no real complaints other than body size when using their largest lenses. Theyíre great with the Tamron zooms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should visit! Most beautiful city in the world - Sydney!
    I know I should. Unfortunately... work, and I'm not responsible for Australia. The closest I get is Port Moresby. Not really the same

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know I should. Unfortunately... work, and I'm not responsible for Australia. The closest I get is Port Moresby. Not really the same
    Port Moresby - I'm sure you take necessary precautions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Port Moresby - I'm sure you take necessary precautions!
    Port Moresby is rather safe compared to some other places I go to in PNG, like Lae and Madang. There was a slight panic when I arrived at the airport in Lae recently and my host had forgotten to send an armoured car with an armed guard. Luckily, there was a spare crew available that took me downtown

But enough off topic on this body piercing thread

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Port Moresby is rather safe compared to some other places I go to in PNG, like Lae and Madang. There was a slight panic when I arrived at the airport in Lae recently and my host had forgotten to send an armoured car with an armed guard. Luckily, there was a spare crew available that took me downtown

But enough off topic on this body piercing thread
    Since you asked - look carefully...SL2/[email protected]ISO5000

Post Thanks / Like

If I only shot color, I might be able to let go of the M gear. But as long as I'm shooting the M-246, there will be M lenses. As long as there are M-lenses, I want a color M to go with. If Hasselblad made a monochrome X1D II, I'd sell the Leica stuff in a blink of an eye. Or, if Leica did a SL2 Monochrom... holy smokes...

The other thing that keeps me firmly ground in M gear is lens size - the size / performance ratio is excellent. I know the new SL primes are better or at least have Leica's latest & greatest tech underneath, but the SL Summicron weigh essentially 2X of the equivalent M primes. That adds up really fast. The SL2 with a 35 SL, 90 SL and maybe some R lenses sprinkled in for each... that's alot to carry. But again, if I only shot color cameras, I'd probably be more open to the idea of shedding the M gear. Maybe...

As for Puts... isn't amazing that the Leica M10-P is essentially the same size/weight as a M7, has a silky smooth shutter, a nice OVF, and an EVF shooting experience that isn't half bad. Today's digital M's can use lenses dating back to almost a 100 years ago - and those lenses operate on the M10 just as intended (with a M39/Leica M mount adapter ring) --- RF coupled focusing, metering, and in some cases even nifty 6-bit coding for some EXIF capture. In the same period of time, the other camera makers (eg - Canon, Nikon, etc.) have gone through 3 or 4 lens mounts and their backwards compatibility was sketchy or non-existent.

From my POV, Leica is fighting very hard to preserve the M heritage. Do we see Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. doing special top glass sensor to keep their legacy F / FD lenses relevant? Nope... So, how has Leica lost its soul? And if digital, software & code is okay for the digital M's, then why not a SL system or Huawei phones? And if taking a moment to think about SL, isn't maybe just a little cool that via adapter the L-mount can use M lenses, R lenses, S lenses, TL lenses... Kudos to Leica keeping the R system alive, especially if the lens has a ROM unit.

If Puts wants to check out, I wish him well. But to take a crack at Leica as a company that's lost its soul. A cliche about looking in a mirror comes to mind.