The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Irwin Puts Says Farewell to Leica?

PeterA

I am stuck there as well.
Some years ago I started a first attemp to reduce my m-glass collection - when I relized I couldnt focus some lenses reliable anyways. Got rid of my Nocti 0,95, 75/1.4, 50/1.4.
After getting some SL primes I use my M10 less and less. I am not willing to give it up but I really think I will get rid of some more lenses. For me M works best with 28/35 and 50mm.
For 21mm I dont need AF so I will keep the 21/3,4 M and have that as a compact UWA for both M and SL2.
But I really dont think I will be using any longer lenses tha 50mm on my M in the future.
Here is my short last 2 years camera / lens history:

1. Thinking about exiting Leica M AND SL
2. Getting GFX50S as soon as GFX100 was announced - plus a bunch of lenses
3. Adding Fuji XT-3 to test aps ahead of expected XPro-3
4. Thinking I need teleconvertor for SL 90-280 so I bought a Leica CL ( plu scould use my m lenses and SL lenses on it
5. Selling all M gear M10/MM/ WATE,Nocti, 24 Lux/35FLE Lux, 70 cron, 90AA ( keeping 50 lux)
6. Selling GFX50S
7. Buying GFX100
8. Thinking about dumping SL
9. Testing SL primes
10. Buying SL2 with 75 cron ordering 35 cron. Keeping SL ( thinking about selling 24-90 and 90-280 because I prefer primes)
11. Preparing to sell CL and XT-3

So my shooting kit will be reduced to SL and GFX100
BUT soon I think

12. will either buy an XPro3 or Xpro-2 for lightweight to go with 16/1.4 | 23 /2 and 56/1.2 lenses I've already got -plus keep a right eye rangefinder style camera.

Fuji will be XPro2 or 3 + GFX100
Leica will be SL/SL2 and 35/75 primes adding a wide when it comes out next year..for fill in I will look at Sigma L mount lenses in ART.

Hope this logic/rationale /history helps.

Pete

Paratom

Here is my short last 2 years camera / lens history:

1. Thinking about exiting Leica M AND SL
2. Getting GFX50S as soon as GFX100 was announced - plus a bunch of lenses
3. Adding Fuji XT-3 to test aps ahead of expected XPro-3
4. Thinking I need teleconvertor for SL 90-280 so I bought a Leica CL ( plu scould use my m lenses and SL lenses on it
5. Selling all M gear M10/MM/ WATE,Nocti, 24 Lux/35FLE Lux, 70 cron, 90AA ( keeping 50 lux)
6. Selling GFX50S
7. Buying GFX100
8. Thinking about dumping SL
9. Testing SL primes
10. Buying SL2 with 75 cron ordering 35 cron. Keeping SL ( thinking about selling 24-90 and 90-280 because I prefer primes)
11. Preparing to sell CL and XT-3

So my shooting kit will be reduced to SL and GFX100
BUT soon I think

12. will either buy an XPro3 or Xpro-2 for lightweight to go with 16/1.4 | 23 /2 and 56/1.2 lenses I've already got -plus keep a right eye rangefinder style camera.

Fuji will be XPro2 or 3 + GFX100
Leica will be SL/SL2 and 35/75 primes adding a wide when it comes out next year..for fill in I will look at Sigma L mount lenses in ART.

Hope this logic/rationale /history helps.

Pete
One thing I find cool is the flexibility between the different Leica systems. One can use the 23/2.0 on the SL2 if you want a compact kit in the evening, or you can put a 90-280 on a dx sensor if you want more reach, or an M lens on either, even use S glass with AF on the SL/SL2.

In earlier times I had M and Nikon DSLR and Leica S, so I needed each focal length for each system.

I wonder if you gain much adding a Fuji X-Pro instead of the CL?

PeterA

One thing I find cool is the flexibility between the different Leica systems. One can use the 23/2.0 on the SL2 if you want a compact kit in the evening, or you can put a 90-280 on a dx sensor if you want more reach, or an M lens on either, even use S glass with AF on the SL/SL2.

In earlier times I had M and Nikon DSLR and Leica S, so I needed each focal length for each system.

I wonder if you gain much adding a Fuji X-Pro instead of the CL?
No I don't - which is why I am going back and forth between these two. On the positive side (for Fuji) I have the lenses I would use with it - but I must say the CL is nicer in hand and as you say lenses are interchangeable.

there is no 'wrong decision' these days, I mention all the above in context of what I said to Peter - a large inventory of expensive M glass was a nostalgic constraint on my photography - the stuff just sat there. I like autofocus and prefer EVF.

Pete

iiiNelson

Maybe I need to rethink all my M glass strategy again when I watch all your thoughts ....
I guess the decision really so much about the idea of M glass versus L-mount glass. The decision is really about two contracting decisions of whether the option of autofocus and the Mandler designed look is a priority over clinically more perfect Karbe designs with the benefit of autofocusing ability. Once you figure that out then the rest is easier. There’s a benefit to the less perfect designs and the autofocusing is partially solved by EVF design and practice. Things like zone focusing also come into play when you talk about the speed of getting “the shot.” For some the fastest autofocus is a priority and for others repeatable performance with non-focus by word lenses have their strengths too.

Sorry if this adds confusion but the reality is that selling the M lenses can reduc the direct out of pocket costs. It can als simplify your kit to the essential 2-3 lenses that you may need to do 90%+ of your FF work. You plan on keeping the Olympus for telephoto so really you only have to worry about ultra wide angle to the medium telephoto focal lengths. This can be solved with an SL2 and at 24-90... or you can just add an APO-Summicron in 21/24/28, 35/50, and 75/90 depending on your preferences for focal length.

Is their any evidence that the sensor cover glass or whatever of the SL2 has been tweaked to benefit M lenses or is it just wishful thinking?

PeterA

Is their any evidence that the sensor cover glass or whatever of the SL2 has been tweaked to benefit M lenses or is it just wishful thinking?
Yes the sl1 and SL2 performs very well with M lenses - in some cases better than a Leica M - this has been long established and experienced for years now by actual users of the system.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Guys don t guess subscribe to ReidReviews and look at the tests of the M glass on the M,SL,SL2 and S1R . The M is best ,,,followed by the Sl2 ,SL and S1R . The Leica sensors all have micro lenses to support the M wide angles . The S1R does not .

As has been stated above ..The SL primes just totally blow away 99% of the M lenses .

The S1R of course only has issues with the wide angle M lenses . So if you want to use a Noctilux it should be fine .

Back to Puts issues ...as new products rely more and more on computation solutions ...the character is beaten out of the products . Your files become perfect and now you work backwards to create a personal aesthetic . Leica was built on optical and mechanical precision ... in the future it will need software .

iiiNelson

Guys don t guess subscribe to ReidReviews and look at the tests of the M glass on the M,SL,SL2 and S1R . The M is best ,,,followed by the Sl2 ,SL and S1R . The Leica sensors all have micro lenses to support the M wide angles . The S1R does not .

As has been stated above ..The SL primes just totally blow away 99% of the M lenses .

The S1R of course only has issues with the wide angle M lenses . So if you want to use a Noctilux it should be fine .

Back to Puts issues ...as new products rely more and more on computation solutions ...the character is beaten out of the products . Your files become perfect and now you work backwards to create a personal aesthetic . Leica was built on optical and mechanical precision ... in the future it will need software .
I haven’t had a subscription to Reid Reviews for more than a few years now but since I have a S1R on the way I may do another subscription to see what he has to say on lens combinations. Does anyone know if applying the software corrections in post levels the playing field more or not? It doesn’t really matter to me personally... I sold all my M lenses (save for a CV 35/1.2) years ago but I’m curious as to the results.

dave.gt

Well said, Roger.

Working backwards.:):):)

jrp

I don’t object to perfect lenses. Means that I have to make the picture interesting, though, and not rely on artefacts. M lenses are less perfect than SL lenses, optically, and they don’t do AF, but they are significantly easier to carry and they will last, as they have no electronic parts to rot.

SrMphoto

Yes the sl1 and SL2 performs very well with M lenses - in some cases better than a Leica M - this has been long established and experienced for years now by actual users of the system.
Do you mean better in terms of ergonomics (easier focusing) or in terms of better image quality? The later would surprise me.

dave.gt

Regarding Mr. Puts, I wish him well. Anyone who has amassed that amount of technical and historical information has my respect. :) well done, Mr. Puts.

Not that I ever read his work prior to this thread... But changes are constant and more so than ever in this contemporary universe we all know. But that is ok, I still shoot film!:thumbup:

I guess that makes me a hopeless retro kind of person in addition to being a hopeless romantic.

:ROTFL:

PeterA

Either that or “hush” money. :ROTFL:

*I’m kidding.
If he can manage to use some interesting subject matter his 'writing' might be more interesting...he will definitely find that high ISO - this one @ 5000 with the fabulous 75SL cron +IBIS is a game changer for Leica SL2

or maybe even this one shot @256mm with the 90-280

shows what the camera/lens combinations are capable of....sans a proper ICC profile from C1 yet...( a 100% crop shows the nose ring in the girls face quite clearly from 70 meters away )

amazing lenses and camera...i think you are going to enjoy your Panasonic SIR

:bugeyes::ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
yet...( a 100% crop shows the nose ring in the girls face quite clearly from 70 meters away )
Yeah... girls' nose rings have always been a strong reason to use Leica cameras :ROTFL:

In this country, buffalos have nose rings, girls not so much :rolleyes:

iiiNelson

If he can manage to use some interesting subject matter his 'writing' might be more interesting...he will definitely find that high ISO - this one @ 5000 with the fabulous 75SL cron +IBIS is a game changer for Leica SL2

or maybe even this one shot @256mm with the 90-280

shows what the camera/lens combinations are capable of....sans a proper ICC profile from C1 yet...( a 100% crop shows the nose ring in the girls face quite clearly from 70 meters away )

amazing lenses and camera...i think you are going to enjoy your Panasonic SIR

:bugeyes::ROTFL:
I sure I am given that the A7Rii has been my primary camera for the last 4+ years. I’m used to resolution but I’m not sure how many zooms I’ll buy to be honest... I go back and forth on the 70-200/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter... but mostly I’m focusing on primes on this system with the zooms remaining on the Sony... well except the 24-105 that came with the camera... time will tell though. There is the built in “zoom” converter option that crops the sensor to get more “zoom.”