The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Irwin Puts Says Farewell to Leica?

PeterA

I sure I am given that the A7Rii has been my primary camera for the last 4+ years. I’m used to resolution but I’m not sure how many zooms I’ll buy to be honest... I go back and forth on the 70-200/2.8 with a 2x teleconverter... but mostly I’m focusing on primes on this system with the zooms remaining on the Sony... well except the 24-105 that came with the camera... time will tell though. There is the built in “zoom” converter option that crops the sensor to get more “zoom.”
Sometimes I 'regret' not going Sony ( IBIS+ resolution + great lenses) - but the form factor in hand never suited. I bought myself a clutch handgrip from peak design - makes it easy to hand hold the long 90-280, wish I had come across it sooner. Looking forward to seeing Some of your shots with the S1R - I am now confused where to post on here since the Leica forum is basically dead now - L mount forum? OR will I upset Bart and post leica shots in Mt Fuji Active thread :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

iiiNelson

Sometimes I 'regret' not going Sony ( IBIS+ resolution + great lenses) - but the form factor in hand never suited. I bought myself a clutch handgrip from peak design - makes it easy to hand hold the long 90-280, wish I had come across it sooner. Looking forward to seeing Some of your shots with the S1R - I am now confused where to post on here since the Leica forum is basically dead now - L mount forum? OR will I upset Bart and post leica shots in Mt Fuji Active thread :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Sony Pro Support sent me a free PD Clutch last fall. I keep it on the A7RII now and use the slide strap on other cameras now. I’m still keeping my Sony gear for pro work at least. I trust the gear to do what it’s supposed to with little fuss... no real complaints other than body size when using their largest lenses. They’re great with the Tamron zooms.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Port Moresby - I'm sure you take necessary precautions!:bugeyes:
Port Moresby is rather safe compared to some other places I go to in PNG, like Lae and Madang. There was a slight panic when I arrived at the airport in Lae recently and my host had forgotten to send an armoured car with an armed guard. Luckily, there was a spare crew available that took me downtown :grin:

But enough off topic on this body piercing thread :OT:

PeterA

Port Moresby is rather safe compared to some other places I go to in PNG, like Lae and Madang. There was a slight panic when I arrived at the airport in Lae recently and my host had forgotten to send an armoured car with an armed guard. Luckily, there was a spare crew available that took me downtown :grin:

But enough off topic on this body piercing thread :OT:
Since you asked - look carefully...SL2/75@ISO5000

John Black

If I only shot color, I might be able to let go of the M gear. But as long as I'm shooting the M-246, there will be M lenses. As long as there are M-lenses, I want a color M to go with. If Hasselblad made a monochrome X1D II, I'd sell the Leica stuff in a blink of an eye. Or, if Leica did a SL2 Monochrom... holy smokes...

The other thing that keeps me firmly ground in M gear is lens size - the size / performance ratio is excellent. I know the new SL primes are better or at least have Leica's latest & greatest tech underneath, but the SL Summicron weigh essentially 2X of the equivalent M primes. That adds up really fast. The SL2 with a 35 SL, 90 SL and maybe some R lenses sprinkled in for each... that's alot to carry. But again, if I only shot color cameras, I'd probably be more open to the idea of shedding the M gear. Maybe... :)

As for Puts... isn't amazing that the Leica M10-P is essentially the same size/weight as a M7, has a silky smooth shutter, a nice OVF, and an EVF shooting experience that isn't half bad. Today's digital M's can use lenses dating back to almost a 100 years ago - and those lenses operate on the M10 just as intended (with a M39/Leica M mount adapter ring) --- RF coupled focusing, metering, and in some cases even nifty 6-bit coding for some EXIF capture. In the same period of time, the other camera makers (eg - Canon, Nikon, etc.) have gone through 3 or 4 lens mounts and their backwards compatibility was sketchy or non-existent.

From my POV, Leica is fighting very hard to preserve the M heritage. Do we see Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. doing special top glass sensor to keep their legacy F / FD lenses relevant? Nope... So, how has Leica lost its soul? And if digital, software & code is okay for the digital M's, then why not a SL system or Huawei phones? And if taking a moment to think about SL, isn't maybe just a little cool that via adapter the L-mount can use M lenses, R lenses, S lenses, TL lenses... Kudos to Leica keeping the R system alive, especially if the lens has a ROM unit.

If Puts wants to check out, I wish him well. But to take a crack at Leica as a company that's lost its soul. A cliche about looking in a mirror comes to mind.