The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica sl2 should be around the corner

iiiNelson

Good points. To me, the ergonomics of SL2 and the camera itself look better than S1R. S1R overlaps with my Z 7, so I am not interested in S1R. But SL2's simplicity, M lens compatibility, and abeing able to use my existing Leica L-mount zooms, make SL2 interesting. Hope Leica will add focus shift shooting and mutiple exposure in a later firmware update.
Fair enough and I understand that. I’d also say the SL2 overlaps and perhaps exceeds the function of a Z7 in many ways where video is concerned. Personally I get the subjective taste of the individual, functionally though the cameras are largely the same between the LUMIX S and the SL2. Which is a good thing in that there’s some differentiation within the L-Mount system. Personally I feel like it would be a real positive for Leica to follow up the SL2 with a 24 megapixel QL camera that’s essentially something that gives a “M-like” form factor in a L-Mount body.

According to DPReview, the sensor shift is already planned with the intent to deliver by Summer 2020 via firmware upgrade.

iiiNelson

Hi There
I think one of the interesting things about the SL2 is how video centric it is, supporting anamorphic lenses, 400 mbps to SD card Vlog etc. etc. As I understand it, it is only really inferior to the Panasonic S1H in that it has no internal fan - and of course it has more resolution.

Best
I agree with all you say but most of that largely seems to be a function of the software and firmware choices. Judging by the specs the internals are nearly identical which leads me to the belief that either camera could likely support similar features as evidenced by the talk of the image shifting features coming to the SL2 in Summer 2020.

This is kinda reinforced given the firmware updates Panasonic has recently bounced for the LUMIX G cameras. Clearly many cameras can do a lot more than companies allow initially... which also brings me to a philosophical dilemma about firmware updates and the use of them for marketing purposes but I guess it’s a discussion for another day. Not so much for bug fixes but for adding huge features present in “sister” cameras.

bab

We will have wait for honest reviews that have a little more depth vs hype to see how the cameras functionality will preform. Very skimpy or general comments about AF except for a few who say it’s just wont cut it. All the marketing fuzz with most reviews showing similar images and some even using the exact same video footage is suspect. There is a lot to like about this new version and if you already own some glass it’s a no brainer...however to re invest AF needs to be an 8-9 on a scale of 1=10!

iiiNelson

We will have wait for honest reviews that have a little more depth vs hype to see how the cameras functionality will preform. Very skimpy or general comments about AF except for a few who say it’s just wont cut it. All the marketing fuzz with most reviews showing similar images and some even using the exact same video footage is suspect. There is a lot to like about this new version and if you already own some glass it’s a no brainer...however to re invest AF needs to be an 8-9 on a scale of 1=10!
Hello, I don’t want to suggest that any of the reviewers aren’t being “honest” about their impressions though I can understand the reluctance to take everything at face value given that many of the people invited to the event have specific usage needs that may not overlap with a traditional photographer. There’s also the reality that Leica paid for accommodations for people to visit their HQ at Wetzler. I believe as a professional, a person can remain objective and critical without harshness (as I feel the DPReview crew, Petapixel, Hugh Brownstone, The Snapchick, and some others were being) and to the point I also feel Jonoslack always is though perhaps even less harsh than many want from him. I believe that’s called professional courtesy and it’s why people receive invitations to work. People have personal/professional relationships with the people behind the company and it’s a little harder to want to tear into a company when you understand how hard they work on products... and I don’t know that it’s necessary in a time where many opinions come across as hit pieces for clickbait whether it’s people comparing card slots numbers, mount sizes, death of Micro 4/3, menu system organization, death of Medium Format, etc. I do believe that a person can be critical without harshness and I think a more telling thing is that many are looking at the SL2 and trying to figure out how to buy one. The reality is that there hasn’t been a bad camera produced by a major manufacturer in the last 5+ years. Surely some are better at some things than others but that may just suggest the need for a workaround workflow.

I did find it interesting to see Leica reach out to so many of the most popular content creators in the Youtube community which I do believe is a smart thing for them to do for a number of reasons but primarily to get a younger demographic more interested in Leica cameras. Many of the people review tech in general and not just cameras so they had perhaps a different take on the camera in that pretty much any camera from a smartphone/action cam to a RED cinema camera will “do” for them.

I think by most accounts AF performance is very dependent on the type of photography that one does. Most reviewers will objectively state that for sports and birds in flight - it’s best to pick a different camera right now that employs PDAF for a higher keeper rate. A number I kept hearing thrown around is 80-90% accuracy hit rates. This doesn’t sound bad in theory until you think about the expectation of having to cull 200-500 shots off the top due to missed focus before you even get to figure out which are keepers if one was shooting a wedding or event where you took 2000-2500 shots throughout the day... assuming one is depending on the AF system being pushed to the edge of its potential. In any case perhaps this is only in extreme usage and perhaps the keeper rate is higher for less demanding and slower shooters.

I‘m a person that believes that eventually CDAF/DFD will eventually get to a point to where the difference between it and PDAF will become a negligible one once the processing power to perform the necessary calculations and the mathematical functions/computer code improves much further. This may take another generation or two IMO. For many uses (such as portraits, weddings, travel, landscape, commercial, etc.) I understand that it’s already there. Most tend to voice opinions that where speed and accuracy is concerned, in erratically moving photo subjects, that it’s not to be fully trusted yet with the caveat of depending on WHAT you shoot. I think for most it’ll be fine but that’s a lot of money to pay for uncertainty without personal hands-on time.

Leica seems to be doing the usual touch and try events throughout their network of Leica stores soon. Got an email about it yesterday but I’m not living close to a Leica store anymore. I used to visit the one in the Bay Area when I lived in California and DC when I had meetings (often) in that area. Now I’d have to wait and see if the local dealer gets a body. They don’t move many Leica’s (though they are a dealer) and they stopped carrying Panasonic (for what I personally feel is a bit of an “elitist” argument on their end) which I personally asked about if that will ever change again. I mean they carry Olympus and I’m sure there are more GH bodies being sold than OM-D’s in USA but that’s a topic for another board.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Well you've kind hit the nail on the head regarding the SL2 - if it is 'just' a Panasonic it could be a tricky sell to existing users.

Leica see the SL series as where they want to spend their most digital development dollar (fwiw).

There are a few issues with SL and Leica that 'bug' a lot of users the two most prominent being - autofocus capability V eg Sony/Fuji and the silly Leica 'standard' for lighting - which means using studio lighting able to employ TTL and HSS is not on . It seems that the lighting 'issue' isn't being addressed and the SL2 will have the same autofocus system as panasonic we will know in a day.
Peter

You are correct in that those are the two BIG limitations of the S1R and I expect the SL2 . It appears that they may have made some improvement in Focus Tracking (which was not really usable in the SL ) . They have a dedicated preset for Sports and claim to have AI learning capabilities . Target acquisition was faster and better with the S1R than the SL but tracking was not good . Because its CDAF it will not match the N/C/S PDAF but it might be getting closer . (and no banding issues from PDAF) .

The lack of a common strobe interface is not excusable ...as the Panasonic S1 now has a Profoto compatibility . A Pro Camera must have flash compatibility .

The other difference that could matter is the addition of microlenses to the sensor making use of the M wide angles reasonable .

Its very close to what I hoped for and better in many areas . The SL Primes are the very best Leica Glass ..no doubts .

Roger

Paratom

Based on personal experience, or by reported technical measurements?
I compared the Z 50/1.8 to the Leica 50/1.4 SL for some shots and the Nikon lens held up pretty well. One area where I prefer Leica is color, I dont know how much is from sensor, how much from lens and how much from profiles/SW.
In regards of zooms I would think that the SL Zooms are class leading.

PeterA

Peter

You are correct in that those are the two BIG limitations of the S1R and I expect the SL2 . It appears that they may have made some improvement in Focus Tracking (which was not really usable in the SL ) . They have a dedicated preset for Sports and claim to have AI learning capabilities . Target acquisition was faster and better with the S1R than the SL but tracking was not good . Because its CDAF it will not match the N/C/S PDAF but it might be getting closer . (and no banding issues from PDAF) .

The lack of a common strobe interface is not excusable ...as the Panasonic S1 now has a Profoto compatibility . A Pro Camera must have flash compatibility .

The other difference that could matter is the addition of microlenses to the sensor making use of the M wide angles reasonable .

Its very close to what I hoped for and better in many areas . The SL Primes are the very best Leica Glass ..no doubts .

Roger
Hi Roger,

Yes the SL primes ( and TL) are according to Leica at themselves - the 'best' they make. I'll be adding a 35 and 75 to my kit - and it is an added bonus to be able to use them on an CL body as well - for a 'gain' in reach if required. With all the primes coming out - the SL is starting to look like a genuine replacement for the R series camera - except with autofocus.

happy shooting.
Pete

Paratom

Hi Roger,

Yes the SL primes ( and TL) are according to Leica at themselves - the 'best' they make. I'll be adding a 35 and 75 to my kit - and it is an added bonus to be able to use them on an CL body as well - for a 'gain' in reach if required. With all the primes coming out - the SL is starting to look like a genuine replacement for the R series camera - except with autofocus.

happy shooting.
Pete
The new SL-Summicrons really balance great on the Leica-body, very high priced but handling and more important IQ is excellent. I like the flexibility of the 24-90 or 16-35, but for me the Summicrons are just the right size for this system-therefore I plan to use the primes more often in the future. I really love the handling and the results.