The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Take on the Leica SL2

jonoslack

Hi Jono,
thank you for the excellent article and many great images.
For me the SL-system has become my most used camera. Besides IBIS and the improved viewfinder I see also benefit in 47MP when one wants occasionally use Cl lenses on the SL, for example use it during day in FF mode, and in the evening put a 23CL prime for the family snaps during dinner. In theory the SL(1) does most things I need...there is still a strong desire growing in me to update to the SL2.
There are 3 things why - after checking out many systems - I am still with Leica. Lenses - expensive but excellent, and I am not so much talking about sharpness alone but about "3-D-look" and color as well.
Also the color tweaking of the camera-lens-combo. For my taste I do not do much color tweaking in post at all.
Third-and for me very important as well: Simple user interface. For it is just easier, more intuitive and more fun to use compared to overloaded user-interfaces from some other brands. It is also cool to have comarable menues and buttons in M/CL and SL for those who use more than 1 system.

Thank you Tom - glad you liked the article and the snaps
As you say:
1. Lenses
2. Colour (feel - whatever)
3. Interface

. . Oh, and “thingness” as well perhaps?
Best
Jono

jonoslack

Hey Jono

thanks for the wonderful article. Always a great pleasure to read - I particularly enjoy the relaxed way of looking at things. The SL2 is clearly bringing Leica back into the competitors' cage, adding mega pixels and IBIS. Feature wise (not so much from the looks ...) it seems to be a very well rounded update release of an already great camera. I am also delighted Wetzlar in their eternal wisdom now decided to make LENR optional. Do you know what the longest expose time would be with the SL2 now?

Thanks
Ivo
Hi There Ivo
I’m glad you enjoyed it, and even more glad that it seemed ‘relaxed’ . . . I actually left it with two days to write it, and was completely panicking!
I think the longest exposure time is 30 minutes (but it might be 60)
All the best
Jono

jonoslack

I am actually now looking forward to Leica camera releases. Not that I will ever be a Leica customer--nothing against the cameras, they are just not in my sphere. But when Leica puts out a new camera, Jono puts out a new review. And I get to see his dog pictures again!

Jono, you outdid yourself this time. There are some really nice images of of your dog--the gale image is priceless.
Oh Will!
Thank you!
I’m flattered and touched - and so is Matty (who is asleep at my feet right now!)

All the best
Jono

jonoslack

+1! You mentioned it previously Jono, but what breed are your dogs? Thanks.

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave
She’s a Pyrenean sheepdog - we did have two (Matty and Caspar), but Caspar (the blonde one) has gone to live with Emma’s cousin, where he is very happy.
Matty and Caspar (despite the pictures) didn’t like each other, and they are much happier apart - She (Matty) is now jolly and calm and lots of fun and lives with us . .
Best
Jono

D&A

Hi Dave
She’s a Pyrenean sheepdog - we did have two (Matty and Caspar), but Caspar (the blonde one) has gone to live with Emma’s cousin, where he is very happy.
Matty and Caspar (despite the pictures) didn’t like each other, and they are much happier apart - She (Matty) is now jolly and calm and lots of fun and lives with us . .
Best
Jono
Thanks so much Jono! Lovely dogs indeed and a breed I've yet to come across here personally in the States. I have some canines with flowing hair but yours takes the cake. Guess dogs are like people (and couples)...sometimes they simply don't get along. In their case alimony probably consists of bones and prized possessions :).

Dave (D&A)