The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica SL2

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Vancouver BC, Christmas Market, SL APO-SC 35

U1000046 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

U1000042 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr
Scott

I am interested in what you think about the color . When I tested my SL against the S1R (essential same sensor as SL2 ) ..I found straight out of camera in LR to be somewhat flat . I know it takes some time for the profiles and calibration to catch up with a new release . Its also common on the high resolution pro cameras to produce a linear contrast curve as it gives you more to work with in post . Still I see the color as less saturated . No issues with resolution more than I need most of the time .

Roger

FYI ...I am all in on the SL2 and two bodies should be here this week .

scott kirkpatrick

Scott

I am interested in what you think about the color . When I tested my SL against the S1R (essential same sensor as SL2 ) ..I found straight out of camera in LR to be somewhat flat . I know it takes some time for the profiles and calibration to catch up with a new release . Its also common on the high resolution pro cameras to produce a linear contrast curve as it gives you more to work with in post . Still I see the color as less saturated . No issues with resolution more than I need most of the time .

Roger

It's too soon to tell. I've had a comment that the skin tones above are too pale, but frankly Canadians at this latitude and time of year look a little pale to me. We'll see how people look when I get home, where we are darker on average and cover a wide range of national origins. I've had the camera for about 3 days. Still working through the AF options and haven't let the IBIS really do its thing yet.

PeterA

Scott

Roger

All shots JPEG straight out of SL2 in Capture One - no adjustments

Very fair skin , natural light

Fair Skin Sunlight

Early tan fair skin

Mid tan Fair Skin

Very fair skin Mixed Lighting with pink LED in background

Very Dark Skin Mixed lighting

C1 rendering both DNG and JPG I find to have more 'life' in files - across all cameras it supports

All photos could do with some PP - posted in answer to question quoted above.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Peter Scott

Thank you for the examples . These reinforce my perspective .. the SL2 files are very close to the S1R in aesthetic . Straight from the camera with default profiles ....they have a linear tone curve and less color saturation than my other Leicas (S007,SL,M10) . They look similar to the LR portrait profile (which is flat ) . Skin tones appear neutral somewhat desaturated ..yet I can see no color caste . They appear very accurate but lacking adequate SNAP ( a technical perspective for contrast and saturation ) .

Files look to be a good starting point for a photographer skilled in post processing that wants to develop a personal aesthetic . They are not so great if you just want near finished files straight from the camera with a std . profile in post .

This is not unlike what I have experienced with other Leica CMOS cameras as it seems to take a while for the profiles to catch up .

I have my twin SL2 s and I am just full of excuses as to why ...I haven t established my own profiles ..:facesmack:

Roger

dave.gt

Peter Scott

Thank you for the examples . These reinforce my perspective .. the SL2 files are very close to the S1R in aesthetic . Straight from the camera with default profiles ....they have a linear tone curve and less color saturation than my other Leicas (S007,SL,M10) . They look similar to the LR portrait profile (which is flat ) . Skin tones appear neutral somewhat desaturated ..yet I can see no color caste . They appear very accurate but lacking adequate SNAP ( a technical perspective for contrast and saturation ) .

Files look to be a good starting point for a photographer skilled in post processing that wants to develop a personal aesthetic . They are not so great if you just want near finished files straight from the camera with a std . profile in post .

This is not unlike what I have experienced with other Leica CMOS cameras as it seems to take a while for the profiles to catch up .

I have my twin SL2 s and I am just full of excuses as to why ...I haven t established my own profiles ..:facesmack:

Roger
Roger,

Happy Holidays to you and your family. :):):)

Just passing through this thread and I am wondering how the files compare with the M10. Any thoughts?

PeterA

Peter Scott

Roger
the only annoying thing I've noticed about the DNG standard profile being used by C1 atm is a slight magenta cast that sometimes needs attending to - especially as far as fair skin goes, too pinky - easily fixed of course but nonetheless in a better standard default profile one wouldn't need to adress it as much.