The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Unhealthy Forums

wilsonlaidlaw

Welcome to getdpi Wilson! I have enjoyed your posts at the LUF for a number of years now...
Ed,

I have actually been an occasional poster on the Getdpi forum since its very earliest days but my post count for some reason seems to have gone back to zero.

Wilson

wattsy

I agree with these clipped opinions, and it's no coincidence that I'm posting this here rather than LUF. I used to post there but realised it wasn't fun when I was libelled at LUF by a self appointed Cardinal of the Faith [after one mildly 'heretical' post perceived as too critical and dissenting for LUF]; he has risen through the serving priests and cardinals to now be a 'Moderator' there. That was a few years ago, I look in there most days but do not post. That 'Moderator' at LUF remains [after all this time] the only person on my LUF 'ignore' list, which works extremely well!
I didn't think it was possible to add a moderator to your ignore list at the LUF. Lord knows how many times I've tried to do that in the past. Perhaps I should take another look.

Chris C

I didn't think it was possible to add a moderator to your ignore list at the LUF. Lord knows how many times I've tried to do that in the past. Perhaps I should take another look.
Ian – the 'ignored' in question became so before his ordination as a Moderator. Maybe I got in early? And no; it wasn't Jaap.

........... Chris

jvansmit

One of the posters above is part of the reason I left LUF.

I was tired of his over-bearing ‘I know best’ attitude and, sadly, his occasional racist/political Anti-Chinese slurs.

Moderators should also encourage a positive forum contribution, and not resort to bullying behaviour.

My experience as a two-time beta tester was also unpleasant. Leica would do well to try and use their influence to re-shape some of their LUF relationship, in my view.

JohnBrew

I was tired of his over-bearing ‘I know best’ attitude and, sadly, his occasional racist/political Anti-Chinese slurs.

Moderators should also encourage a positive forum contribution, and not resort to bullying /QUOTE]

Ditto

dj may

Rule #1 the moderator is always right
Rule #2 when the moderator is wrong refer to Rule #1
😂

ndwgolf

Moderators should also encourage a positive forum contribution, and not resort to bullying behaviour.

My experience as a two-time beta tester was also unpleasant. Leica would do well to try and use their influence to re-shape some of their LUF relationship, in my view.
+1

And there was the "I know it all printing expert" who would kiss the above mods backside to feed the frenzie.

I had an email once from the Getdpi forum mods saying that I had posted a picture in the wrong section, and the way that email was written to me made me say to myself "man Im glad i moved over here" These guys really care about having a nice friendly community
Neil

gnuyork

+1

And there was the "I know it all printing expert" who would kiss the above mods backside to feed the frenzie.

I had an email once from the Getdpi forum mods saying that I had posted a picture in the wrong section, and the way that email was written to me made me say to myself "man Im glad i moved over here" These guys really care about having a nice friendly community
Neil
Lol, the wrong section?? That's a sin, don't you know?? I think I'm guilty of that as well over there (a few times), or more recently that I posted "too many" film examples in a topic about Leica M film vs a digi monochrom. This was the film forum, btw :facesmack:.

JorisV

Two things that personally disturbed me the most when I was a member:

1) To say that most of the forum members are rather conservative would be an understatement...

2) Fanboy-ism and ultra defensiveness to anything that even remotely could be perceived as critique is definitely on the rise, especially in the SL-forum

At the end of the day I felt better not being a member anymore, even though I own 6 Leica bodies and the forum should really be my home...

pegelli

Based on the "recommendations" in this thread I took a look at LUF, after all I have a Leica body and 7 lenses so I think I qualify to be a member there :).

So far for me it's been a pretty good experience, not much different from GetDPI or some other photography fora I visit.

Granted, I don't visit the SL2 forum (no interest from me there), mainly the historica-, photo- and M-fora.

I think it's a bit like the perfect camera (it doesn't exist), a photo forum where you never see spats between members or never meet jerks doesn't exist.

Satrycon

funny..someone said that to me there the other day too..that im posting too many pics in the 50mm thread and that person isnt even a mod

Lol, the wrong section?? That's a sin, don't you know?? I think I'm guilty of that as well over there (a few times), or more recently that I posted "too many" film examples in a topic about Leica M film vs a digi monochrom. This was the film forum, btw :facesmack:.

PeterA

funny..someone said that to me there the other day too..that im posting too many pics in the 50mm thread and that person isnt even a mod
hahaah I saw that - and I still don't understand how your posting can push everyone else off 'the' page?

PeterA

exactly

and now i see the same group of people spewing on the "Tatuso Suzuki" thread.
Not a lot of people are versed in 'Street' or familiar with the subgenres within Street let alone the photographers who are exemplars. I don't even bother trying to have conversations with people on forums re Street. It is like trying to explain Jazz or a sub genre of Jazz- you either dig it and get or you don't.

Then you have the inevitable 'bias' of what is known and memed over the years- like HCB was a great Street Photographer - makes me laugh tbh.

The journalistic/documentary style most people are familiar with is not what Street is - it like saying hip hop is blues.

meh.

btw: Thanks for the video links in the thread.

pegelli

Saw that too, really made me question why someone would post something like that. Isn't the purpose of such a thread to post as many examples to share as one would like to :loco:

But fortunately nobody reacted, following Jack's great advice in another thread here:
Remember that a jerk cannot be one if he's completely ignored.
:clap:

erudolph

Saw that too, really made me question why someone would post something like that. Isn't the purpose of such a thread to post as many examples to share as one would like to :loco:

But fortunately nobody reacted, following Jack's great advice in another thread here:
:clap:
I'm not so sure about the "as many examples as one would like" part. For example, I was following a thread in which someone made half a dozen posts in a row, all with the exact same gear, and each photo looked quite a bit like the others, same subject matter, parameters, etcetera. To me, it seemed a bit like spamming the thread. I didn't say anything because, as you've mentioned, some people believe the purpose of certain threads is to post images. I'm just saying that in my opinion which I kept to myself, one or two would've done the job. Also would've decreased the download time and data use... :)

ndwgolf

I'm not so sure about the "as many examples as one would like" part. For example, I was following a thread in which someone made half a dozen posts in a row, all with the exact same gear, and each photo looked quite a bit like the others, same subject matter, parameters, etcetera. To me, it seemed a bit like spamming the thread. I didn't say anything because, as you've mentioned, some people believe the purpose of certain threads is to post images. I'm just saying that in my opinion which I kept to myself, one or two would've done the job. Also would've decreased the download time and data use... :)
Rudolf
Lots of FB groups limit say 3 posts per day, which is something I really never understood, if you have a tread/group of pictures of trees or pictures taken with a medium format camera, then my take on it is to let people post as many as they like.............the more the merrier. It is there for exactly that reason "isn't it"
Neil