The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Filters Do you Like ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leica filters are very very expensive . During the time of the UV/IR filters for the M8 ...I watched a woman at the factory take them out of a large bulk Hoya box and repackage them in individual silver Leica boxes . Of course they could have been made to a Leica specification as the UV/IR situation might require . Makes me wonder about buying Leica filters .

Normally I would either just buy the Leica filters knowing that the coatings etc would be consistent with the lenses (or at least I hope so ) . Nothing wrong for example with Zeiss filters on Zeiss lenses as an example. B&H ,Heliopan and Hoya all made professional quality filters and I hear that Breakthru Technologies sells exception filters (if you want a neutral transmission ).

Any thoughts .

Normally I would go without but I am headed to the Beach soon and like to have a surface to wipe the salt spray off .

PeterA

I live on a beach in Sydney and salt in the air is the silent killer of all things. I make it a rule to have a UV filter in front of all my glass protecting against splash as well. For Leica lenses I always buy a new Leica badged UV filter and put it on as soon as I get the lens out of the box.

I don't bother with coloured filters in front of glass - if I want to add some drama I do it via PP these days...