The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10 Monochrome

Shashin

Agree, you only need one and it will cost less than this camera will depreciate in value the next 4-6 years so you can throw it away and not have to deal with selling it and still come out ahead economically.
But you have to consider the business plan that supports the purchase. What can you expect to get for a shoot? If you are doing high-end work, the investment may be worth it in terms of the business plan.

If you are simply a hobbyist, then the economics are irrelevant beyond that you have the disposable income to afford it. Then it is simply the indirect value in the pleasure you may have from using a particular camera. I don't recommend buying cameras as an investment for future returns on its value. Stock will be better.

PeterA

Agree, you only need one and it will cost less than this camera will depreciate in value the next 4-6 years so you can throw it away and not have to deal with selling it and still come out ahead economically.

But I agree with Godfrey's other part, I think buying these type of Leica's is not about economics, it's about buying a pristine piece of kit that can do things no other camera can do. Wether you're willing to pay the price for that is up to every individual to decide. I have as much respect for people who are willing to pay the price and show us the results here as for people who don't want or can't pay the price and show us good work with different (lower cost?) cameras. To each their own and I see no reason to diss the buyers or the non-buyers.
Do you think that converted cameras actually produce monochrom files?

This is just ONE factor I am considering before having my SL converted to monochrom ( which I now wont) - a process which also removes the micro lens array so using M lenses (in particular ) becomes less than ideal. THEN I have to put up with a two stage file conversion with intermediary software between file and CI /LR/PS...

not so simple as people think,....

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Another thread derailed by Sony conversation....:SPAM:
Sony exceptionalism and Leica hatred are an irresistible combination. Not the only one, sadly. Look what happened to the thread where the OP asked how best to configure a Mac Pro. :banghead:

iiiNelson

Sony exceptionalism and Leica hatred are an irresistible combination. Not the only one, sadly. Look what happened to the thread where the OP asked how best to configure a Mac Pro. :banghead:
What about the Nikon guys? Do they get a pass? I think they were the ones hurling the insults... If we are being honest, it’s not like there haven’t been SOME Leica owners that have hurled insults to the effect of Leica exceptionalism coupled with Sony hatred. The point isn’t to inflame but to point out that a lot of fanboys exist on all sides and sometimes people are overly defensive which can lead to a misunderstanding. It’s the internet afterall... just saying. There are great people that use all brands of cameras and crappy ones too. I try to engage with the great ones which the vast majority of people here fall under IMO. Even when I may disagree with them. Everyone has a different personalized experience.

I have disclosed that I’m primarily a FE and L-Mount shooter... I used to shoot M and I did say that I’d love to own this version of the M Monochrom if it were in my budget. With Christmas and a new house I’m kind of out the camera adding game for a little bit right now but I don’t think anyone needs to be tribal. I think it’s the nature of a forum to discuss open ended questions (initially anyway) of why someone is or is not interested in a product. I don’t believe it fully gets to troll level until the negative justification is continually reiterated within the same thread but I could be wrong.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just think that the world is a better place with manufacturers like Leica in it. Sure, the monochrom is a niche camera but I’m glad that they fill it.

Now the question is do I trade my M246 for one? I too think that a monochrom Q2 would be an awesome option in the future!

richardman

If I have the money, this is a no-brainer decision for me. Of course I will get the M10M...

Too bad I don't have the money, ha ha.

pegelli

But you have to consider the business plan that supports the purchase. What can you expect to get for a shoot? If you are doing high-end work, the investment may be worth it in terms of the business plan.

If you are simply a hobbyist, then the economics are irrelevant beyond that you have the disposable income to afford it. Then it is simply the indirect value in the pleasure you may have from using a particular camera. I don't recommend buying cameras as an investment for future returns on its value. Stock will be better.
I was replying to Godfrey, who now is a hobbyist like me. So I think for neither of us a business plan is needed :toocool:

pegelli

Do you think that converted cameras actually produce monochrom files?
Why do you think I used these words:
"I think buying these type of Leica's is not about economics, it's about buying a pristine piece of kit that can do things no other camera can do.

JohnBrew

I know that if I buy one I will do my best to wear that sucker out.

(But I want one in classic chrome!)

gnuyork

Yes, very tempted! (if only I had the cash)... it's one of two digital cameras that actually excite me... The other is the new Hasselblad back that I can pair with my 500 c/m.

Question: I have seen several YouTube videos out on the new M10M... one reviewer states that it's difficult to nail focus with this amount of resolution when shooting wide open. What do you all think about that? And the other thing mentioned was that you would need Leica's very top glass to get the most out of the sensor. Wondering if my lowly circa 90s Summicron 50 would suffice?

D&A

Yes, very tempted! (if only I had the cash)... it's one of two digital cameras that actually excite me... The other is the new Hasselblad back that I can pair with my 500 c/m.

Question: I have seen several YouTube videos out on the new M10M... one reviewer states that it's difficult to nail focus with this amount of resolution when shooting wide open. What do you all think about that? And the other thing mentioned was that you would need Leica's very top glass to get the most out of the sensor. Wondering if my lowly circa 90s Summicron 50 would suffice?
This is just my opinion (and general observation), that with regards to getting most out of the sensor such as that in the new M10-M....as with any modern current high end sensor with regards to resolution, of course the highest resolution, best performing lenses will "generally" yield the greatest detail. Yet it's not always about resolution but also the way a lens "draws" and especially (but not exclusively) with regards to Leica, many users love to use many classic lenses from the 1950's on up. This is especially so when B&W imagery is the objective and users of the original MM1 monochrome for example, often resort to using many classic lenses (such as the rigid cron) where primarily the way the lens draws an image is of paramount importance. Each type of lens has it's place.

Dave (D&A)

pegelli

Not for me, I shoot both :grin:
Look at all the hatred spilled in the early Sony mirrorless threads, what's happening here is very gentle and soft in comparison. If you don't like what's happening here take a look at what happened there a few years ago and ask yourself why any Sony shooter is still a member and contributer of GetDPI. It's a pity when arms cannot reach far enough to avoid stepping on someone else's toes.

Last edited:

KeithDM

Ordered on Saturday. It will replace my M240 and may well lead to a cull of two of my 35mm film cameras (M7, MP alc, R5). My MF film cameras are definitely safe from such thoughts. Digital colour? My A7III.

Shashin

For 100% monitor view, yes. For a print, no.

Higher resolutions sensors do not affect focusing accuracy or things like depth of field or other lens qualities under normal viewing conditions. If you like the look of your lens on a lower resolution sensor, a high-resolution one will not change that in a print. Also, the idea that a lens can only take advantage of a sensor with X MP is not true. A higher resolution sensor will always result in recording higher-frequency detail--assuming your lens is not cut out of the bottom of a Coke bottle, which is not the case of your Summicron.

The problem with 100% view is that it is not a real viewing condition. And as resolution increases, the magnification an image is viewed also increases making things you might not notice in a print more obvious on a screen.

However, none of that will be useful if you are OCD (not that you could find anyone here that would qualify). If you have to consistently have a "perfect" image at 100% monitor view, there are better systems than Leica M that will maximize quality at 100% monitor view.

BTW, that one reviewer, how is his (I doubt a woman wrote that) eyesight and focusing skill? There is a single sample problem with that.