The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10 Monochrome

Geoff

There are a million reasons this makes no sense. And yet...

Somehow this really is tempting: better shutter, live view, resolution, ISO, croppable with ease. The MM1 always seemed to me to be a quirky but absolutely fine portable B&W handholdable camera that gives medium format quality. This extends that strength in a number of ways. Could imagine cleaning out the closet for this.

D&A

Let's retire this ridiculous phrase.
I cannot speak for others but I find this descriptive phrase quite apt for describing the way a lens optically and viscerally presents an image it captures. Sort of how a lens presents an image in a artistic sense, hence "how it draws" . Sure other factors also contribute to a len's optical properties, some of which can be quantitatively measured....but this descriptive phrase is just that. it's a descriptiion that often (although not always) is an aside from its resolving power and measurement.

Many use this term and it's been widely accepted. So speaking for myself, retirement of this phrase is not in the cards.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So Dante came knocking but reminded me that I still love my M246 and so had me add an upgrade to my GFX50s with a new GFX 100 today.

M10M problem solved for now! :ROTFL:

PeterA

Why do you think I used these words:
"I think buying these type of Leica's is not about economics, it's about buying a pristine piece of kit that can do things no other camera can do.

I don't think you said anything off topic - I was a bit put off by discussion regarding a Voigtlander lens- which can only be bought with a Sony mount - in this thread.
As for monochrome - Leica isn't the only one - Phase One makes a B&W Apochromatic back for those inclined to use such equipment.

Cheers
Pete

kdphotography

M10 Monochrome in hand, and I think I've got a nice kit put together before I leave for Peru ;)

Just an FYI, I had to scrap around quite a bit to get the M10M in time for my trip. The folks over at www.agfcamera.com were tremendously helpful. They are a brick and mortar store but with great resources reaching out here from Hong Kong into the US.

Lots of Leica gear and a good legitimate gear resource. :thumbup:

Email: [email protected]

Really nice camera. I like the simplicity and ease of use.

Ken

ndwgolf

I might be wrong but would a X1D II file converterd to B&W not be as good if not better than a M10 Monichrome. I had an original MM and when I bought my first S006 it knocked the socks off the MM files

Neil

JoelM

I might be wrong but would a X1D II file converterd to B&W not be as good if not better than a M10 Monichrome. I had an original MM and when I bought my first S006 it knocked the socks off the MM files

Neil
You're probably right but I'm not sure that is the point. I think it is more of the fact that you have a camera with only B&W capabilities and using that mindset. Like only having B&W film in your camera.

Joel

ndwgolf

You're probably right but I'm not sure that is the point. I think it is more of the fact that you have a camera with only B&W capabilities and using that mindset. Like only having B&W film in your camera.

Joel
Morning Joe
I get that but when I had my MM or even when I was out shooting 8x10 or 120 film there were always times when I would say to myself **** I wish I had brought some colour film or man that would have been nice shot with my Nikon D7000 i.e. colour.
Walking about with a MM only camera to me became a disappointment because of what I wrote above...........then the S006 came along and the issue went away as the S006 files just blew away the MM files when converted to christianity.

I don't have a X1DII and probably wont ever have one, as I'm more into golf these days.........I did have a H6D100c and that was the dogs in either colour or black and white

Neil

tcdeveau

Neil
I have the original X1D, it does a great job converted to B&W IMHO (especially long exposures). I wouldn't expect the X1DII to perform any different.

Doesn't stop me from wanting a Typ 246 or M10M though (or P1 Achromatic), and it's always good to have options.

PeterA

In theory some argue that a Bayer array sensor with 30% more pixels (minimum) is required to match a monochrom sensor. So in theory a 50MP chip might just match the B&W capability of the monochrom. Then you have to consider the lenses attached to the front of the sensor- and I don't think any MF camera manufacturer can offer the amenity or speed of the top line Leica M lenses. the SonyA7r4 should be able to match the monochrom and has a suit of lenses that in theory can match the better M's up to f1.4 - art a significant 'cost' in terms of weight and PP requirements. Th eonly reason I sold the original MM is i got tired of having to use neutral density filters in front of my M glass as the CCD base ISO was over 300. - the files were of course stunning - the current line of MM does not have the high base ISO issue and therefore fast glass ( why else buy Leica?) is more easily used as it was designed to be used.

I've resisted the allure of the M10M so far having access to both SL2 - with its superior optics and GFX100 with its outstanding optics and happy with my PP routines for B&W conversion - but as a rule I always compose and view through the EVF in B&W -my mantra is shoot colour ONLY when colour is the main subject.

TLDR?

There are PLENTY of reasons why a monochrom camera makes sense - and I dont know why Fuji OR SOny haven't come out with their own versions.

D&A

Peter,

There is a current discussion on LUF that the new M10M measures a base ISO between something like (approx) 400 to 640 (or thereabouts). I believe it was also confirmed at Leica through a discussion. If the camera's ISO dial is set to a lower ISO, the DR seems to be reduced and highlights often blown if one say meters by an external meter and sets ISO on meter according to what the ISO dial reads. Again I am just trying to recall the details I read earlier.

Dave (D&A)

PeterA

Peter,

There is a current discussion on LUF that the new M10M measures a base ISO between something like (approx) 400 to 640 (or thereabouts). I believe it was also confirmed at Leica through a discussion. If the camera's ISO dial is set to a lower ISO, the DR seems to be reduced and highlights often blown if one say meters by an external meter and sets ISO on meter according to what the ISO dial reads. Again I am just trying to recall the details I read earlier.

Dave (D&A)
Thanks Dave - as I said I have resisted the allure of the M10M - so I haven't spent much time looking at all the specs etc - I will check this information out as (for me) the compulsory use of neutral density filters in order to shoot wide open with a Noctilux in particular (why else own it?) lacked amenity.
Pete