The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Will New S3 Have PDAF?

pegelli

When I pan a mirrored camera I don't have any lag in setting up the shot - none under any lighting conditions none - same for a Leica M. I think this is where all EVF devices (currently) are still behind so called old tech. I also don't particularly like having to become familiar with different refresh rates for different conditions - when all I want to do is is focus on the subject at hand - just as one example. Yes EVF (IMHO) is a superior shooting experience - generally speaking - but for some it isn't and I understand why. My choice was an SL2 not an S and it has the features that 35mm market seems to want - including high capability in video.
Thanks Peter, I see where you're coming from but I would call that "no time lag" and not "no blackout" but that might be semantics. As far as I know every camera with a flapping mirror will have a blackout and I only know of one mirrorless camera that doesn't have it (the A9). Only rangefinder cameras truly have "no blackout" and "no timelag" either.

Roger, sorry for another off-topic post, and I don't know the answer to your question. However the Leica Forum S3 thread is now 22 pages, so maybe you can find the answer in there somewhere.

Auni

S camera has 80msec black out. Like most DSLRs.
SL camera has 80msec black out! Not like any? mirrorless cameras which have longer BO times. At least at the time SL came out this was true, don't know about now.

Leica wanted the SL with its great EVF to not suffer BO lag and wanted the VF to be as close to a DSLR experience as possible, so they shot for 80msec. The video specs and the EVF refresh rate had to be top notch to accomplish this.

I love the shooting experience of both and the output is great as these systems have incredible glass as well. I don't own either, I own the M system.

Sorry to digress but, the main OP's question has been lost here anyway.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Not a clue here, or else I would have responded. Either Leica changed the sensor for 2020, or it’s marketing speak or a translation error. My sources have all moved to the SL2, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matt
thanks Matt I believe you understand why I am asking for clarification on the rumor

B L

At the time of writing post, the thread has been viwed 529 times.
I am sure some one from Leica also viewed this thread. Is it too much to expect a Leica spokesperson to write some clarification and answer OP's question?

JeRuFo

At the time of writing post, the thread has been viwed 529 times.
I am sure some one from Leica also viewed this thread. Is it too much to expect a Leica spokesperson to write some clarification and answer OP's question?
No, it isn't, but I could understand if they wouldn't do it in a thread with such negative undertone. If they did, people might refer to it from other places.
500 is not a lot depending on how they count, especially when people go back and forth. But even if they didn't see it, it would be good if they had someone who would.
Someone could ask them to make sure they know the question is out there, though I'd just wait and see how it works in the real world (on the GFX100 for instance you do get the speed, but the eye af is unreliable.)