The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shots from the Moab workshop

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK, my final set at the end of the workshop

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From a very target rich environment even the freaking garbage cans have good color , don't mind the shadow from the idiot shooting it. LOL
View attachment 1555

Wait maybe I should have shot this with the IR to get that Leica glow

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You do garbage, I do crap(ers) --- and yes, even they look pretty good :D :

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I couldn't get close to any of the sites in Moab because there was always one of these blocking the view:

:salute:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To Guy and Jack!

I am really sorry I could not participate this time, but the results I can see here and all the positive comments make me kind of fix starter for one of your next workshops.

Really enjoy to read and watch here :)

Great work and great team!

Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, I made the airport! Here is one I just processed while waiting for my plane in Phoenix. Guy and I saw this on the drive home this morning, the back side of Monument Valley shortly after sunrise. (Moab to Phoenix took us 7 hours with stops for food, gas and shots like this one.) BTW, this is a hand-held capture, 7 frames total, M8 with 90 Summarit, stitched in photoshop --- again, all hand-held with no tripod.

The level of detail in the final image is stunning and it will print to 8 feet wide pretty easily and maintain good print detail; you get a good idea of the detail even in the jpeg I posted. (Tell me again why I need a medium format digital camera? :ROTFL:) I used a clickable link as this pano is large, about 400 pixels high and 2400 wide --- click once for 900px wide, click a second time for the 2400px wide version:

scott

"all hand-held with no tripod."

Jack, I am interested to know a bit of what it took in the way of handholding style to accomplish this shot without a tripod.
I do a lot of panoramas with my M8 and have never ventured off tripod to try and achieve a good stitch that lines up.
Nice shot and even more impressive when you hear no tripod was used!

Scott

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Scott:

This is one of the things I demonstrate on a workshop and also one that would take 3 pages to describe in writing and about 30 seconds to show you. But the short version is you still pivot the camera around the lens nodal point as closely as possible while keeping it as level as possible ;)

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Hey bud, I made it home put everything away and now i hit the wall. LOL

Nap time , but what a wonderful shot .

Just a public thanks you to all that came to Moab and also a thank you to Leica with Jim and Linda and there support. I also want to thank everyone on the forum for looking in on us and watching the workshop unfold with images. The workshop was a huge success and we had a great time and everyone really enjoyed it very much . The good bye's were tough to do , we all really bonded very nicely and the images these folks cranked out are amazing. Next is Carmel California starting on March 26th through the 29th I believe , please pencil this in and we will also include a complete printing modules with 3 large format printers. so this will be a shoot and print workshop in the beautiful setting of Carmel california and surrounding area's. More hard details coming in the next several days so please keep a eye out for that and don't forget San Juan Puerto Rico in early May. Thanks again and more images will be posted as everyone get's settled in to there homes. Thanks Guy. It's nap time for me. LOL

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Made it home safely. Downloading images now. Hope to be up all night processing :bugeyes:

Nice pano Jack! Get some rest Guy, you deserve it.

Off to Photoshop to play.

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Guy & Jack count me in for Carmel. Let me know what I need to do to sign up? I will be coming with my wife and new born baby. Finally will be able to meet you guys. Have you guys thought about talking to Sean at Camera West to see if he would like to be involved?

Guy Mancuso

Already contacted Sean about it and he is very interested in promoting the workshop at his stores there and being a part of it. Sean is a good friend of mine and Jacks although we have never meet he has taken good care of everyone I have sent to him for gear and i lost a college fund there myself. LOL