The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shots from the Moab workshop

Terry

Terry looks like the IR shot has too much visible light in it and washed out your sky.
Thanks,
The only IR shots I took were unfortunately in the late afternoon. So the effect just looks like I desaturated the color image. I may try and get out in Central Park before sunrise one morning and try it again....or get up early in Carmel :). I think I at least understand the merging process.

Off to bed...and then off to work I go. Gotta afford that second body:cussing:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We will do more in Carmel together in the morning. I want to do more myself there. I am also going to do the desert here one morning when i get some time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like the IR shots. I was wondering if the only time you can shot IR is first thing in the morning?
Hi Joseph:

You can shoot IR all day long, it's just that later day the IR overpowers most of the color that seeps through the 720 cut filter so you get more of the grayscale tones. In the 30 to 60 minutes before sunrise and after sunset, you get (IMO) the most interesting effects for landscapes.

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

I shot that angle also along with Charlie, really liked this view of the Arch. I shot mine with a Zeiss 18mm

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Terry, Charlie and Jack, thank you for you comments. That little canyon was magical. Here's two more pines from there: first one is a Juniper the second a Pinon.(I don't know how to put the ~ over the middle n in Pinyon)

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
I shot that angle also along with Charlie, really liked this view of the Arch. I shot mine with a Zeiss 18mm
I noticed the similar shots when they were first posted. It seems to me the DMR did a better job with handling the the red highlights in the arch. Actually on all the Moab shots, the DMR seemed to have better or richer colour.

DMR:

M8:

Guy Mancuso

Just different white balances Robert. I see no advantage from the DMR over the M8 sorry my friend. Go back and look at my M8 images throughout this thread and there killer with color. Remember i shot both and love the DMR but the DMR also is very warm coming out of the box about 400 kelvin warm. Just a matter a different WB on this image , i did not WB mine and not sure Charlie did either. Bottom line there both extremely good at what they do. Also he shot a Leica lens and i shot a Zeiss which there is a big difference between the two with color.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I had a great time, and truly enjoyed meeting all of you. As usual, Jack and Guy did a tremendous job to make this workshop successful. Thanks for incluing me!

I'm home now, and starting to process some images. I thought I'd start here by throwing up some of the portraits of workshop members. I'm not sure how you all feel about me posting your images, so I'm not going to put any specific names with the images - but we all know who we are :D

One of my favorite parts of the workshop was haning out in the restaurants, after either the morning shoot or evening shoot, and talking about photography. I really enjoyed these conversations. Most of these shots are from those "restaurant meetings". Some are shot with the R 80 Lux, and some with my Canon 135 f2.

Enjoy,
Mike

Last edited:
C

Chris Herbert

Hey Mike H,

Kinda looks to me like you had that special infrared filter on when you shot my pic. Can't think of any other possible explanation as to why my hair would seem so gray!!!!!!

Chris