The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shots from the Moab workshop

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget you are processing in Lightroom and Charlie is using C1
Excellent point Terry --- C1 and LR do very different things with color and often even gamma with the same camera, let alone different ones.

One of my favorite parts of the workshop was haning out in the restaurants, after either the morning shoot or evening shoot, and talking about photography.
Mike, GREAT captures and thanks for posting these --- what a wonderful group!

~~~

Here are a few of mine, fun memories:

Playing around with the 12 -- A new arch forming, come back in a million years and this will be bigger :):

The last morning --- bittersweet for this trip --- with the "Three Gossips":

And then, that special morning we will all fondly remember as the "coldest freaking morning we have ever felt, let's get to that diner and get some coffee now!" :D:

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike great shots of the folks attending Moab. I still have my week long beard growth and my kids hated it. I pick my wife up this afternoon coming from Chicago we will see what she thinks. BTW she called me last night going out to dinner in Chicago and it was -23 degrees with the wind chill. And we thought we froze our arch off that one morning. Sorry folks but now you know why i reside in Arizona 76 degrees today. :thumbs:

W

wbrandsma

I was just lurking here from the Small Sensor Cameras, but I am stunned by all your superb and wonderful photos you all made in the Moab region :salute:. Really WOW!! You guys make those Leicas sing :clap:.

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Heh, Mike those pics are cool. Here are two posted primarily for content, not necessarily quality. Guy and Jack, thanks again for all your work.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Mike Hatam - thanks for posting the Moab Diner images, very cool. Also, it was a great experience to go out shooting with you, I truly enjoyed it.

Here is another Diner photo.

Sorry, the focus is not on the eye - I was busy admiring the equipment!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike Hatam - thanks for posting the Moab Diner images, very cool. Also, it was a great experience to go out shooting with you, I truly enjoyed it.

Here is another Diner photo.

Sorry, the focus is not on the eye - I was busy admiring the equipment!

Don't let my wife see this shot!!! :eek:

Just playing around with Jim's "big gun"...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack love the last one. Print it
Definitely Bud! Will be printing several of these for the Carmel Printing workshop :)

BTW for those interested, Mike and Jim will be on hand in Carmel too, assisting with printing!

Cheers,

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Charlie,

I really like this angle --- totally unique for one of the most photographed natural structures in Moab!
Thanks Jack but Guy needs to get credit for the composition. I took my camera off the tripod and started walking around shooting. At one point I followed guy up on this rock at his recommendation.

And boy was I glad I had my Yak Trax on for this shot and the one I posted of Mesa Arch several pages back because the snow covered rocks were treacherous and I really could of went right off the edge.
But I was thinking, for next year if I do slide of the edge and plummet down I will send a signal:
- wave my arm over my head one time - does not mean I am ok, just means throw the tripod down because I have a good angle
- wave my arm over my head two times - throw down a spare battery :)
- wave both my arms over my head - tell the freeking rescue copters to back off for a minute because they are in my frame!!!

C

Chris Herbert

I thought it was just Jack's attempt at doing Tai Chi sitting down. Note that zoned-out Zen expression. This was obviously pre-green chili!

Chris

robsteve

Subscriber
Just different white balances Robert. I see no advantage from the DMR over the M8 sorry my friend. Go back and look at my M8 images throughout this thread and there killer with color. Remember i shot both and love the DMR but the DMR also is very warm coming out of the box about 400 kelvin warm. Just a matter a different WB on this image , i did not WB mine and not sure Charlie did either. Bottom line there both extremely good at what they do. Also he shot a Leica lens and i shot a Zeiss which there is a big difference between the two with color.
Guy:

I don't think it is just white balance. I think the M8 is overexposed in one of the colour channels in the illuminated area under the arch. There is no detail in the M8 shots, while the DMR still has it. Was there an UV/IR filter fitted to your 18mm?

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This was Jack's response when the waitress said: "Today's special is the Mamiya with the Aptus back, who's gonna order that?"

I think that was in response to "Who wants coffee?" after that freezing morning... Sheesh, I look horrible...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's one of balanced rock, but mine is not nearly as good as most I saw from the participants:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy:

I don't think it is just white balance. I think the M8 is overexposed in one of the colour channels in the illuminated area under the arch. There is no detail in the M8 shots, while the DMR still has it. Was there an UV/IR filter fitted to your 18mm?

Robert
Robert we have different lenses, framing and different focus points and completely differnt raw processors with different sharpening . We really need to test with same lenses and same everything , you know that as well as I do

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
OK, here's a few of my shots, quickly processed.

This first set is from the "Garden of Eden" - right off the road, where we shot a few times during the week. These were all taken on the same evening, but at different times (as the sun was setting) and with different lenses.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
This next set was taken at the "Windows" (Window Arch at Turret Arch) on a cold cloudy morning. Just Charlie, Mike, and I went out that morning.

The light sucked, but we ventured in to the area behind Window Arch, and shot back through it toward Turret Arch.