The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S3 released today March 6, 2020 - new review

dave.gt

Jesse,

That is by far the best camera review I have ever read.
:thumbs:

It was actually fun reading it!:):):)

Thank you for that!!!!

GMB

Thanks for the review. One question, if I may. You write "The S Typ 006 and S Typ 007 already delivered superb image quality and easy operation. The S3 improves on them noticeably." Could you please expand on that. Where exactly is the noticeable improvement and how does it play out in practice? Of course, the higher ISO capabilities are an obvious improvement (and as I like to shoot handheld, quite important). But what else?

Reason I am asking is that I am on the brink to decide whether to stay with the 006, get a 007, or open the wallet to get the S3.

Thanks.

dj may

Thanks for the review. One question, if I may. You write "The S Typ 006 and S Typ 007 already delivered superb image quality and easy operation. The S3 improves on them noticeably." Could you please expand on that. Where exactly is the noticeable improvement and how does it play out in practice? Of course, the higher ISO capabilities are an obvious improvement (and as I like to shoot handheld, quite important). But what else?

Reason I am asking is that I am on the brink to decide whether to stay with the 006, get a 007, or open the wallet to get the S3.

Thanks.
1. Color rendition - as I mentioned flesh tones, reds, blues and greens are natural-looking.
2. Better tonality - transitions among tones are very smooth. So are the other S cameras; this is more so.
3. Better detail - as long as one does not destroy the look with too much sharpening. For me this is important for digitizing negatives and transparencies also.
4. Higher ISO - all of the above are particularly noticeable at higher ISO. I was quite surprised at how good everything looked at 12,500. As you mentioned, for handheld shooters, this is useful.

All of the above have a greater impact on printing. If only screen viewing is done, then the improvements may not be very noticeable.

If the wallet feels good, get the S3.

scott kirkpatrick

Very impressive results, and a reminder of the quality of the S lenses. Thanks for putting this review together. Would it be possible to download a full-resolution jpeg, processed as you have done, for the second shot (harbor and traditional buildings) and/or one of the snowy black and white pictures for personal viewing on a big calibrated scree?

dave.gt

Yes, great start!

I think it is time for someone to start a "Fun with Leica S3" thread!!!:thumbup:

dave.gt

Well, four months later... just wondering.

Has anyone actually bought an S3? Are they even available? :facesmack:

Well, four months later... just wondering.

Has anyone actually bought an S3? Are they even available? :facesmack:
Andreas Kaufmann surely has one and he bought it with his own money as he stated here @53m18s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqmregxhbQ

The German Leica Online Store had some in stock before the shutdown in Wetzlar, but they are now sold out (seems factory has been working now for around 1 month). Leica Store Hamburg has stock.

Don't know about US.

Look also here for some discussion:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307652-lets-have-a-look-at-some-dng-files-from-the-s3/