The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8: One, and only one, lens...

J

jsb

Hi, all.

I'm a Leica "newbie" (never owned one). I've got some dollars set aside for a purchase, and I'm most concerned about image quality. Having looked at several of the outstanding images posted on this forum, I'm contemplating the purchase of an M8, but I can only afford one lens for now.

Would it be possible to solicit your opinions on which lens to buy? Also, if you have any advice for me (a possible, future M8 owner), please share your thoughts and don't be afraid to speak your mind...

Thanks much!

Sincerely,

jon

JWW

I find my most used lens is my 28mm Summicron ASPH although sometimes I prefer the less wide FOV of the 35mm Summicron ASPH. They are both superb in my opinion.

Jan

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Its according to what you want to shoot..i.e. landscapes, portraits. The 28mm cron or elmarit is a good compromise with the 1.33 sensor crop, however that might change if they go to a FF sensor in the future, then a 35mm might be the compromise. If you shoot only landscapes you might want to consider the CV15, or the Leica 21 ASPH.

Its hard to have just one. :thumbup:

Last edited:

hdrmd

With the current sensor, the 28 2.0 is very hard to beat. It is like the 35 used to be before the 1.33 factor. DR

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
28 cron ASPH is my most used (and it is a fantastic lens), but don't overlook the Cosina Voigtlander lenses if funds are limited. I would read Sean Reid's reviews at www.reidreviews.com. Maybe you could buy two or three CV lenses within your lens budget. I have CV 15mm for landscape and architecture and CV 35 f/2.5, and love them both.

simonclivehughes

I concur on the choice of 28mm, although if you need to be price conscious, look for a Voitlander Ultron 28mm f1.9 lens, it's superb!

jonoslack

Hi There
Seems to me that if you want one lens, and you take these good people's advice and buy the 28 'cron (clearly an excellent lens, and one I'd like). Then you could, for the same price, buy the 28 elmarit (f2.8) and the 50 'cron (f2).
Or you could buy the 35 and 75 summarits (if you fancy a longer focal length).

On the other hand you could go for CV lenses and get:
15mm f4.5
21mm f4
25mm f4
28mm f1.9
40mm f1.4
75mm f2.5

for the price of the 28 'cron

Of course, they wouldn't be the same, and it's nice to have leica lenses, but . . . . . . .

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I have not yet gotten a Leica 28mm because I'm very happy with the CV Ultron 28/1.9 I had for my RD-1.

But what ever 28 you settle on I would suggest you look at the CV 28/3.5 Color-Skopar. It is so small. It make the M8 into a real pocket camera. It just so cheap and sharp you need it.

Here's a comparison with the 28/1.9 Ultron.

Maggie O

I've got nothing but Voigtländer lenses and I love 'em! So far, I've got:

35mmASPH 1.7 Ultron (gorgeous bokeh and a winning combination of sharpness and lower contrast)

28mm 3.5 Color-Skopar (small, sharp, excellent contrast, and my silver one is chrome and gorgeous)

21mm 4.0 Color-Skopar (see comments for the 28 and add close-in focusing in to 18")

Jack's old 15mm Super-Wide Heliar (fantastic lens, small, sharp and kinda gorgeous)

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
All depends how one sees, I prefer a slightly longer focal length then many, like a 40 or 50 on the M8. While my 50mm 'cron is "being worked on", I bought a CV 40mm 1.4 multicoated. I have found that I like this very much, although I still prefer a 50mm view. The 40mm is compact and inexpensive and fast. Just another opinion....

fordfanjpn

I've got nothing but Voigtländer lenses and I love 'em! So far, I've got:
So far! Those are the keywords there. I also have all CV lenses, and I love 'em all. Here's what I have (so far!):

25/4 Color-Skopar
28/1.9 Aspherical Ultron
35/2.5 Color-Skopar P Type II
40/1.4 Nokton
50/2 Collapsible Heliar
75/2.5 Color Heliar
90/3.5 APO Lanthar

The 35 Color-Skopar is probably my favorite lens, so far, but I'll probably get the new 35 Nokton at some point. After all, you can never have too many lenses! :rolleyes:

Bill

fordfanjpn

All depends how one sees, I prefer a slightly longer focal length then many, like a 40 or 50 on the M8. While my 50mm 'cron is "being worked on", I bought a CV 40mm 1.4 multicoated. I have found that I like this very much, although I still prefer a 50mm view. The 40mm is compact and inexpensive and fast. Just another opinion....
The Nokton 40 is a fun lens. I had to send mine in to be adjusted, but since getting it back it has been pretty much glued to the M8. I like that it gives you pretty close to a "standard" lens on the M8. And it is fast.

Bill

Maggie O

Say Bill, how do you like the 50/2 Collapsible Heliar? I'm thinking of getting one, along with the new 1.4 35 Nokton.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
2/28 ASPH - the best choice.

if you are lucky, you could get a used one in good condition for at least 30% less than a new one.