Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leica SL adds Multishot capability 187MP

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica SL adds Multishot capability 187MP

Joe Wrote --->"And here's a 100% crop from the center of the multi-shot frame. I applied Topaz Sharpen AI to the multi-shot file since Topaz Gigapixel AI added a dose of sharpening when uprezzing the standard rez file. As a result, this is more of an apples to apples comparision."<<<---

Joe, my mistake. I obviously missed your posting where you compared 100% crops from the Topaz uprez file vs. the multishot file (with added Topaz sharpening). Clearly it shows the superiority of the multishot file. I too try to avoid most all uprez programs, no matter how good they are unless it's a "must" situation for large scale printing, as it adds too many artifacts for my liking. I am also not on a Retina display (using the NEC I purchased from you), but that clearly shows the advantages of the Leica SL2 multishot capability if and when a larger file size is required.

Appreciate your additional comments and observations in your post just prior to this one. Useful and informative

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 2 Weeks Ago at 15:38.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    The mathematics and modeling discussion is waaay above my pay grade, so I thought I'd bring the conversation back to actual photos.

Here's the scene:

Per Roger's earlier post, I uprezzed the standard resolution file using Topaz Gigapixel AI, the best uprezzing app I have. Here's a 100% crop from the center of the uprezzed frame:

And here's a 100% crop from the center of the multi-shot frame. I applied Topaz Sharpen AI to the multi-shot file since Topaz Gigapixel AI added a dose of sharpening when uprezzing the standard rez file. As a result, this is more of an apples to apples comparision.

To my eye, the multi-shot file is significantly better than the uprezzed file. The multi-shot file shows detail (the veins in the leaves, for example) that the uprezzing tried to create but failed. The multi-shot file appears more "natural" and would look better in print, IMHO.

I'm not addressing the issue Matt raised regarding whether I/we need 187MP files for printing. That's a separate conversation. What I wanted to address was whether the Leica SL2 multi-shot feature produces better IQ than uprezzing, and I'd say that it does. Appreciably better.

OK, talk amongst yourselves.

Joe
    Thanks for providing this comparison Joe.

Which mode did you use for the multi-shot? I've never shot scenes like this with my S1R in multi-shot mode, just watches. When the watch is running the second mode handles the movement of the second hand absolutely perfectly - this was one of the things that really surprised me about the capability of the camera.

Here though it is clear that the camera has made a right mess of dealing with the movement of the leaves.

Where there is no movement, the difference between the multishot and the uprezzed file is very significant, but where the camera has failed to deal with the movement, it would seem to make the multishot file almost unusable (if one is interested in detail at the pixel level of course).

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe

Excellent test thank you . I think we are saying the same things . A larger file (mps) is almost always desirable . The need for and degree of improvement depends on the end users perspective . Do you frequently print large ,do you need or desire to crop , what screen will be viewing the images on ?

We all try to find the right combination of gear, technique and post processing/printing to create the very best rendering of or photographs . Multishot can provide another option that will be right for many situations .

FYI the DL test I was referring to was of the Panasonic S1R which DL indicated was the best multishot application he had seen .

There is a good and enjoyable description of Multi Shot on the Leica Australia You Tube Channel ....by Nick Rains .

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Joe

There is a good and enjoyable description of Multi Shot on the Leica Australia You Tube Channel ....by Nick Rains .

Roger
    Thanks Roger. Nick's video is very good indeed. I like his presentation style.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Thanks for providing this comparison Joe.

Which mode did you use for the multi-shot?

Gerald.
    Gerald, I shot the scene using both modes (motion suppression "on" and "off") and found that it didn't make much of a difference with moving leaves. So I only illustrated my post with one set of photos. The moral of the story is that SL2 multi-shot is not very useful when photographing landscape scenes with leaf movement. YMMV with the S1R.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerald, I shot the scene using both modes (motion suppression "on" and "off") and found that it didn't make much of a difference with moving leaves. So I only illustrated my post with one set of photos. The moral of the story is that SL2 multi-shot is not very useful when photographing landscape scenes with leaf movement. YMMV with the S1R.

Joe
    Interestingly, I had a different experience.
    There was a huge difference in leaves with Motion Artefacts Correction Off (blurry, unusable) and On (very good, everything sharp). It may depend on the situation and shutter speed as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These excerpts (1122 x 1122 crop) are typical for Motion Artefact Correction on vs off.

Name:  L1000139.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  173.7 KBName:  L1000141.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  189.4 KB
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    These excerpts (1122 x 1122 crop) are typical for Motion Artefact Correction on vs off.
    SL2 or S1R? Shutter speed?

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 1 Week Ago at 04:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SL2 or S1R? Shutter speed?

Joe
    SL2, 1/50 sec, 35mm lens.
    Last edited by SrMphoto; 1 Week Ago at 06:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    SL2, 1/50 sec, 35mm lens.
    Thanks. Those results are very encouraging.

Joe