The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10-R

msadat

the sensor is new, the rest of it is recycled old parts. dpreview says its best to focus bracket to get the focusing right. we need a electronic rangerfinder m. i hope they are working on it.

airfrogusmc

the sensor is new, the rest of it is recycled old parts. dpreview says its best to focus bracket to get the focusing right. we need a electronic rangerfinder m. i hope they are working on it.
I would never buy that Leica M rangefinder. Then it would just be like all the rest. I by far prefer an optical rangefinder. I don't have issues with focus. In fact I find the focus far more reliable than any auto focus. If you want what you are discribing those cameras are already out there. Lots of room to move around there. Leica digital M is a real alternative to all of that. I love my M 10s. I liked my forst M 10 so muchI bought another for my pro work. I also own an M 262, MM and M-E. My next camera will be the M 10 Mono. Not for the MPs but for the improved ISO and DR.

SrMphoto

That is not what they wrote.

They write here:

"From my shooting on the M10-R so far, focus accuracy is about what I'd expect from shooting with the original M10. When working wide-open, it's sensible (if you can) to focus bracket a little bit, but with practice, it's not too hard to get focus where you want it, in most situations – despite the higher pixel count. For critical work, the optional Typ 020 viewfinder (shown above on an M10) allows for precise manual focus."

iiiNelson

The sensor seems to be a color modified version of the M10 Monochrom sensor with the updated features of the M10-P... so not really all “recycled” parts per se. Focusing an M can be hard with fast lenses and poor eyesight but I’d argue the user experience is likely subjective. Maybe the M is better suited for those with poorer eyesight to use wide and normal lenses with medium apertures (f/2-f/8).

I think the “best” anyone could hope for is that Leica brings out a “Leica QL” in the future to bridge small form factor with lens flexibility. That would fly off the shelves IMO for those not adverse to EVF’s and perhaps even bringing a younger audience to Leica over the course of time.

msadat

That is not what they wrote.

They write here:

"From my shooting on the M10-R so far, focus accuracy is about what I'd expect from shooting with the original M10. When working wide-open, it's sensible (if you can) to focus bracket a little bit, but with practice, it's not too hard to get focus where you want it, in most situations – despite the higher pixel count. For critical work, the optional Typ 020 viewfinder (shown above on an M10) allows for precise manual focus."
the 020 finder, i cant get use to, hopefully they will now make dipoters for the m10, till now u have buy the m240 which is smaller and then buy the adpter which makes the finder smaller

bab

The sensor seems to be a color modified version of the M10 Monochrom sensor with the updated features of the M10-P... so not really all “recycled” parts per se. Focusing an M can be hard with fast lenses and poor eyesight but I’d argue the user experience is likely subjective. Maybe the M is better suited for those with poorer eyesight to use wide and normal lenses with medium apertures (f/2-f/8).

I think the “best” anyone could hope for is that Leica brings out a “Leica QL” in the future to bridge small form factor with lens flexibility. That would fly off the shelves IMO for those not adverse to EVF’s and perhaps even bringing a younger audience to Leica over the course of time.
Hmm...maybe the eye hole (they call it a view finder) could be the size of a dime or a quarter then they get my money forget about 40mp.

Godfrey

Jono Slack's impressions: https://www.slack.co.uk/leica-m10-r.html

It looks to be a fine development in the M10 line. Jono's comments about the image files and their editability would excite me if I were still shooting with Leica M bodies.

However, since I've exited the M line and moved to the CL as my standard hand-held camera, and the Hasselblad 907x as my larger format 50Mpixel camera, I can't really see any serious motivation for me personally. I may well acquire another M at some point, but right now I'd likely pick the M10-D because I prefer the ergonomics of an M without an LCD in the way. I have no plans or urge to buy one at present, however.

Everyone seems to get hung up on the price whenever a new Leica is released. I can't say as I understand this; I choose not to. It's expensive, yes. Like so many other things, that's simply a matter of choice coupled with what you personally are willing to spend. I don't see much point to complaining about it.

G

Robert Campbell

Everyone seems to get hung up on the price whenever a new Leica is released. I can't say as I understand this; I choose not to. It's expensive, yes. Like so many other things, that's simply a matter of choice coupled with what you personally are willing to spend. I don't see much point to complaining about it.

G
As Sir Henry Royce said:
The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten.

Sanford Lavine

My initial reaction to the M10R was very different to my reaction to the M10M.

I owned an M10. But since my early love for my M3 and B&W, I had been waiting for a Monochrom. I was disappointed with it’s predecessors for one reason or another. I loved everything about the M10 and would have seriously considered a 24MB M10M, but when the M10M specs were announced I immediately put my name on the list.

If I had an older Digital M or Film version I’d put my name on the list for the M10R. It’s the unique Leica Rangefinder experience and the images I get using them that draws me to the system.

Full disclosure: when I bought the M10M I traded my M10 for an SL2. It’s great with my M lenses and the SL lenses are superb. Had I kept the M10, I probably would not trade up to the M10R.

I also have a Hasselblad X1DMK2. What camera do I grab when I just go out for the day?

The M10M😎

Different strokes for different folks .