The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10-R

scott kirkpatrick

Jono Slack's impressions: https://www.slack.co.uk/leica-m10-r.html

It looks to be a fine development in the M10 line. Jono's comments about the image files and their editability would excite me if I were still shooting with Leica M bodies.

However, since I've exited the M line and moved to the CL as my standard hand-held camera, and the Hasselblad 907x as my larger format 50Mpixel camera, I can't really see any serious motivation for me personally. I may well acquire another M at some point, but right now I'd likely pick the M10-D because I prefer the ergonomics of an M without an LCD in the way. I have no plans or urge to buy one at present, however.

Everyone seems to get hung up on the price whenever a new Leica is released. I can't say as I understand this; I choose not to. It's expensive, yes. Like so many other things, that's simply a matter of choice coupled with what you personally are willing to spend. I don't see much point to complaining about it.

G
Jono's impressions seem to be holding up. I borrowed a few of his files and can see that they render just fine in Capture One. Adobe already supports the 10-R, but that may not be the best solution. There was a bug in the firmware released to the press the week before the announcement but that seems to have been sorted out now. The current firmware has a complicated four-part number. I would expect something simpler and more confidence-inspiring like firmware 1.0 to appear soon. There was a rushed, pandemic flavor to the whole announcement process. For example, the prices and statements of commitment to various M models are very inconsistent at the moment. The M10-D is enduring bad press, because they apparently are not going to make any more. Since we are still several years away from an M10-RD, they might become available at a good price soon. I'm quite happy with mine, although there are a few things that they never got around to adding to its firmware. No show-stoppers, though.