The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S3 Trade In Program Details

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Back at end of March Leica Miami posted a TRADE IN PROMOTION for existing S owners . I think it is pretty clear that the Trade Up Credit would be in addition to the trade in value of any S body traded. For example lets say you trade a mint S 007 ..and the FMV is about $6K . So if a dealer was giving you 70-80% of FMV you would get a credit of $4,000(Trade in Credit ) and an additional $4200-4800 for you S 007 body .

No after checking several dealers it appears that Leica has not told the dealers how the Trade In Promotion ($4K in my example ) would be handled and I am getting double speak how the trade in value would be applied .

Attachments

Paul Spinnler

Back at end of March Leica Miami posted a TRADE IN PROMOTION for existing S owners . I think it is pretty clear that the Trade Up Credit would be in addition to the trade in value of any S body traded. For example lets say you trade a mint S 007 ..and the FMV is about $6K . So if a dealer was giving you 70-80% of FMV you would get a credit of $4,000(Trade in Credit ) and an additional $4200-4800 for you S 007 body .

No after checking several dealers it appears that Leica has not told the dealers how the Trade In Promotion ($4K in my example ) would be handled and I am getting double speak how the trade in value would be applied .
The trade in value is not that high ... Leica wants you to fully pony up

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The trade in value is not that high ... Leica wants you to fully pony up
Paul Is that intended as a “Sanrky Comment “ ?

I also have an S 006 that I listed and could have sold a dozen times for over $3K net to me(decided to keep it for the CCD) ...so I know just a little bit about what FMV is .

iiiNelson

I wonder if the trade in promotion is going to still happen since they lowered the actual retail price significantly from the original target price of the S3 when it was first announced... also with the pandemic I wonder if that’s affecting anything. Hopefully it gets sorted out for you. I watched the S3 preview from Red Dot Forum on YouTube a few days ago and it seems like a big upgrade (even beyond the megapixel size) for the system.

bab

Might be room in the S3 pricing for trade-in’s of mirrorless cameras also ex..xt3, or any Sony because it seems the money factor is 10%! Basically your dropping 50k to start the S3system w some glass one would think 2-5k headroom is built in.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Might be room in the S3 pricing for trade-in’s of mirrorless cameras also ex..xt3, or any Sony because it seems the money factor is 10%! Basically your dropping 50k to start the S3system w some glass one would think 2-5k headroom is built in.
It appears ,after checking several sources , that the above promotion has not officially been released by Leica . Right now all S3 trade ins follow the normal process of a negotiated trade in with each customer . Anything beyond that is pure speculation . :banghead:

Since I really can not travel .....I can wait .

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Have you tried one? If it's not your cuppa, then it's not for you. I had an A7II and three Sony lenses. I gave them away. Everyone has different priorities and values. To some people, an S system is not a lot of money. To others, the Sony is vastly too expensive. The ladders of wealth and talent are both VERY tall, and we are all somewhere on them.

cbserota

ALERT---Bad experience dealing with Leica Store Boston (owned by Leica).
First-The store assistant general manager denies knowledge of the $4,000 rebate offered by Leica on my trade in of an S007 toward purchase of S3.
When confronted by evidence-(Notice of Leica rebate published on Red Dot Forum by David Farkis, owner of Leica Store Miami), and numerous consultations with her bosses, she then agrees to credit the $4,000 rebate toward a S3 purchase, but offers an insultingly low amount on my S007 trade, thereby neutralizing most of the rebate incentive.

Be very careful.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
ALERT---Bad experience dealing with Leica Store Boston (owned by Leica).
First-The store assistant general manager denies knowledge of the $4,000 rebate offered by Leica on my trade in of an S007 toward purchase of S3.
When confronted by evidence-(Notice of Leica rebate published on Red Dot Forum by David Farkis, owner of Leica Store Miami), and numerous consultations with her bosses, she then agrees to credit the $4,000 rebate toward a S3 purchase, but offers an insultingly low amount on my S007 trade, thereby neutralizing most of the rebate incentive.

Be very careful.
Almost my exact experience at two different Leica Stores . This is speculation.... but it appears that Leica USA has never clarified ..how the promotion would be funded and they have to my knowledge never published the program (beyond the RED DOT blog post ). :wtf:

Just what they needed ....mishandling what could have been a good launch of the S3 ....pissing off their most loyal customers ..owners of the S 007 . :banghead:

MGrayson

Loyalty is a funny word. One may have sunk costs, and so prefer to stay with a system, but loyalty? "I would get better results, save money, and earn more from my clients if I switched, but I'm going to stay with this system" is something that I doubt anyone has ever said.

And anyone who has dealt with Leica's version of retail should not be in the least surprised by the confusion, lack of clarity, and frustration. If getting a good deal matters, then you have to wait for the stars to align. This has happened to me twice, and those times I upgraded. When the "good enough" deal isn't available, don't upgrade. Granted, I have the luxury of timing.

If you want to see much more capricious comings and goings of upgrade deals, look at Phase One. I chose between two identically priced used backs (bought from a dealer). I chose wrong. The other one got the big trade-in credit for the next level. If I'd chosen "correctly", I would probably be screaming about IQ4 150 firmware updates about now! :LOL: Come to think of it, those used backs were the same price as a new S3. At least the S3 comes with a camera!

Matt

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Matt

I am sure you understood what I meant by loyalty . I have a huge brand preference for Leica gear ..that is based on a lifetime of using their gear . That I would call brand loyalty .

There are plenty of other camera manufacturers that make great stuff and for many applications clearly superior to Leica s offerings . For example when I was shooting Polo in Florida a few years ago I used a Nikon D5 and 600mm AF telephoto . Leica has never made anything that could follow focus on a horse and rider coming straight at you . I know I will never match my friends Alpa/Phase/rodenstock kit for landscape .

For 90% of what I shoot Leica has the best gear for ME .

Like many Leica customers ...I am not making any money with my gear ...I have no customers ...I buy what I want and require no justification . But on the other hand ..I don t have a customer dead line or requirement to buy . Especially now I have more gear than I can master .

So like you ....I will just wait for a better offer from Leica .

Roger

MGrayson

Roger,

I certainly do understand what you meant. We become attached to certain gear. I took better photos with the S(006) than anything more modern precisely because I couldn't check focus with magnified live view. As a result, I wasn't distracted with perfection. There was a satisfaction using that camera that I have not felt before or since.

It is a completely human thing to feel that our attachment should be recognized by the manufacturer, or at least by the local dealers with whom we do business. But that feeling is not reciprocated. When I get good treatment, it is because I know someone, or luck, but it's never personal. I try to remember that - not always successfully!

Well, we wait and hope!

Best,

Matt