The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S3 Review -Reddot Forum

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wow, tough group here to get discussions started.:)
Saw the video, know the camera is the best, as are the lenses, noticed the price, which is somewhere behind the clouds that limit the extent of my wildest dreams.

That said, I'm very happy that Leica is continuing this project, and hope that there are enough photographers around who can afford it.

dave.gt

Saw the video, know the camera is the best, as are the lenses, noticed the price, which is somewhere behind the clouds that limit the extent of my wildest dreams.

That said, I'm very happy that Leica is continuing this project, and hope that there are enough photographers around who can afford it.
Hi, Jorgen!:)

Two things puzzle me in this Covid era, with all the hype and discussions prior to the beginning of the pandemic about two cameras, the Nikon D6 and the Leica S3, the cameras have been announced and reviews seem to show up, but I cannot confirm if any of these two cameras have been shipped to vendors, let alone actual buyers.

There appears to be an absence of communication somewhere, and maybe it is just me.

Sure, both cameras are expensive, and well beyond my means, however, they are not the most expensive either. The S3, in particular, has gotten it right, after all this time. I am curious to see comparisons to images from the older S versions.

I still love the CCD results, and the S3 images from the video are superb. Maybe one day, we will have good discussions if for no other reason than enjoying the beauty of MF images by Leica.:thumbup:

( It sure would beat watching 24/7 news every day!):banghead:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I fear that the camera market is more dead than we can imagine. People are sitting on their hands, and I suspect that the camera companies have put the gunpowder in dry storage for the time being. They launch cameras, but ship in very limited quantities. The last thing they want is lots of high-end gear sitting unsold with retailers that may go bankrupt next week. If you want one of those cameras, I'm sure it can be fixed though.

I stopped to pick up a lens that had been repaired and a for cup of coffee at my pusher's. It's a tiny shop that is normally packed with people. This was Thursday afternoon before a long weekend, and I was the only customer. He had just gotten in an almost brand new (warranty valid till some time next year) Panasonic S1R with 24-105 and 70-200 f/4 lenses. Price: around 60% of RRP, and those cameras have not been discounted much here in Thailand, the lenses not at all.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My extraordinarily uninformed guess is that Leica's greatly COVID limited workforce has been building M10-R's. They have (continuing the uninformed speculation) one high-end production line. It was making SL2's for a while. Sometime or other, they may get around to doing another S3 run - a few production cameras are in the wild, but not even my friendly Leica Ambassador has one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Dave

A few insights ...maybe ..

I was a S3 Beta tester so I used a pre release version of the S3 . It produces superb files ..best ever by a Leica . The color is better than an S 007 looks closer to the CCD color of the S 006 . Skin tones are the biggest improvement . I was able to shoot side by side with a new S1R (same señsor as SL2) and the S3 files were noticeably better . Primarily because of the medium format aesthetic . I used a 90/2 SL lens on the s1r and a 100/2 S lens on the S3. Both systems produced a ridiculous amount of detail ...the rendering from the S3 looked more natural .

AF was the big concern because it appears to be the same AF as the S 007/006. Compared to almost any modern AF system its very inadequate . That being said ..just like the S 006/007 you can learn when and how to use the AF system and when you will need to over ride with manual focus . If you want to use an OVF ..you need to have sufficient eye sight to see if its sharp .

The first batch of S3 bodies arrived in the USA a few weeks ago ...as best I can tell a few per Leica store .

There has been a lot of confusion (OK primarily by me and few others ) about a S3 promotion for trade in s . Leica appears to be holding off on a previously promised trade in bonus . This has stopped some of us from pursuing a body .

The S3 is really an extension of the S 007 with a new and much better sensor . The sensor is the same as the M10R only larger . So Leica has found a way to deliver an S3 without a full R&D effort . It is highly doubtful that Leica will ever produce an S4 .

dave.gt

I fear that the camera market is more dead than we can imagine. People are sitting on their hands, and I suspect that the camera companies have put the gunpowder in dry storage for the time being. They launch cameras, but ship in very limited quantities. The last thing they want is lots of high-end gear sitting unsold with retailers that may go bankrupt next week. If you want one of those cameras, I'm sure it can be fixed though.

I stopped to pick up a lens that had been repaired and a for cup of coffee at my pusher's. It's a tiny shop that is normally packed with people. This was Thursday afternoon before a long weekend, and I was the only customer. He had just gotten in an almost brand new (warranty valid till some time next year) Panasonic S1R with 24-105 and 70-200 f/4 lenses. Price: around 60% of RRP, and those cameras have not been discounted much here in Thailand, the lenses not at all.
Your "pusher"? :grin: Jorgensen, I love your descriptions!:):):)
Pretty much on target I think.:salute:

dave.gt

Dave

A few insights ...maybe ..

I was a S3 Beta tester so I used a pre release version of the S3 . It produces superb files ..best ever by a Leica . The color is better than an S 007 looks closer to the CCD color of the S 006 . Skin tones are the biggest improvement . I was able to shoot side by side with a new S1R (same señsor as SL2) and the S3 files were noticeably better . Primarily because of the medium format aesthetic . I used a 90/2 SL lens on the s1r and a 100/2 S lens on the S3. Both systems produced a ridiculous amount of detail ...the rendering from the S3 looked more natural .

AF was the big concern because it appears to be the same AF as the S 007/006. Compared to almost any modern AF system its very inadequate . That being said ..just like the S 006/007 you can learn when and how to use the AF system and when you will need to over ride with manual focus . If you want to use an OVF ..you need to have sufficient eye sight to see if its sharp .

The first batch of S3 bodies arrived in the USA a few weeks ago ...as best I can tell a few per Leica store .

There has been a lot of confusion (OK primarily by me and few others ) about a S3 promotion for trade in s . Leica appears to be holding off on a previously promised trade in bonus . This has stopped some of us from pursuing a body .

The S3 is really an extension of the S 007 with a new and much better sensor . The sensor is the same as the M10R only larger . So Leica has found a way to deliver an S3 without a full R&D effort . It is highly doubtful that Leica will ever produce an S4 .
Thanks, Roger, as usual your insight is immeasurably helpful, especially describing the sensor and its relationship to the M10. I had not heard that before.:thumbup:

dave.gt

My extraordinarily uninformed guess is that Leica's greatly COVID limited workforce has been building M10-R's. They have (continuing the uninformed speculation) one high-end production line. It was making SL2's for a while. Sometime or other, they may get around to doing another S3 run - a few production cameras are in the wild, but not even my friendly Leica Ambassador has one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matt
Thanks, Matt!
Sounds like a limited production camera that may be a prized edition over time.:)

Last edited:

jrp

At the price, this is a camera that is really only for those that have the lenses that they need and want to upgrade their body. Why would anyone buy into this system over the SL system, the slight difference in image quality notwithstanding.

Giorgio

Good discussion, thanks to all that posted.

Lots of very useful information here.

The image is very low Rez from a few years back when I finally had an assignment where I could use the Leica 006 system.
Can't wait to use an S3, but this time I'll rent it.

Attachments