The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tips for IR photography?

etrigan63

I picked up a B&W 092 filter to dabble in IR photos with my M8. Any tips on how to get the amazing effects I see everyone else doing?

etrigan63

Well I've been rooting around the Net finding more info. I've managed to dig some up and present this first attempt.

Comments welcome as always...

Infrared Palms

robsteve

Subscriber
If you look in the Moab picture thread, Jack just posted an IR shot. I think you need to use the IR filter that also passes a little visible light as well.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Carlos,
Try shooting early in the day before the sun comes up.
Once the sun is near to rising, very large amounts of IR flood the scene and all it becomes impossible to extract the small amount of color information that is passed by the 092 filter. Because the sun is a very strong ir emitter, the contrast gets very large and hard to handle.
Before sunrise, the sky is a diffuse ir source that provides soft and pleasant light without washing out detail. The sky appears light since it is the strongest source of ir at that time. After sunrise, the sky appears dark because it is so much less bright in ir compared to the strong reflections caused by sunlight.
-bob

etrigan63

And just because I like to fiddle with things...

I kind of like the hand-tint effect on the grass courtesy of LR Split Tone controls.