The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First grabs with the Summilux 24

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I wanted and had one on order but I opted for the 24 3,8. I hope I don't regret it. Congrats jaapv! Lets see some more.
I think you won't; I've seen a few images and it is yet another great lens, more in the Summicron asph style.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
i agree the separation and quality of the oof is outstanding, in your image in particular. the wider aperture you go the better that works, eh?
i would think that with a wide angle in particular, that separation is harder to get, so the 1.4 is a boon.

i'll have to go back to sean's tome; usually i only have the patience to skim read
Well, yes that is what I wanted the lens for and I was not disappointed:salute:
I was looking at the 21 too, but opted out on that one for the bulk and the weight. It seems to be the right decision, because referring to Sean it seems the 24 has more of the fingerprint I was looking for.As for the price - err..yes, it is a bit of a pound of flesh and don't tell my wife:scry::ROTFL:, but then Leica seems to postpone the R10 or whatever to next year and I had allowed myself some budget...;)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
i'll have to go back to sean's tome; usually i only have the patience to skim read
Take a look at Erwin Puts' review as well, he has some good info on the new 24, 21, and 18.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/

Scroll down and look for Leica SX21mm and SX24mm: the report part 1
There are 2 parts to the review, same with the 18mm.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Well, in his example shots, he DID use the lens without filter and with UV/IR and detection on so he got beautiful red corners.I did not find that very confidence-inspiring.

fotografz

Recieved mine yesterday. It goes back immediately. Horrible purple color fringing in lighting conditions that you would use a f/1.4 lens for.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Which we figured out in another thread. It is probably sensor blooming,this is a lens with a very high contrast, especially wide open and a very high microcontrast too.
Capture One 4.8 deals with it efficiently.

skimmel

Hi Jaap:

Thanks for posting your images. Really nice!

Any new ones to add? Would love to see more of your work with the 24.