Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 83

Thread: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Seems I just can't win lately. A 75/2 ASPH I got a few weeks ago (and immediately returned) was back focusing by 1" to 1.5" @ 4 ft distance.

    Now this:

    Received my brand new M 24/1.4 ASPH yesterday and immediately tested it in the type of conditions where you would use a f/1.4 lens.

    For me it is for lower light work ... with f/1.4 being important on the M8 because it can either increase the hand held shutter speed, or lower the ISO compared to the 24/2.8 ASPH.

    The very first shots I took exhibited fairly aggressive color fringing on a back-lit subject. My heart sank.

    I then methodically ran a side-by-side test of the 24 Lux against the M 24/2.8 ASPH, Nikon 24-70/2.8 @ 32mm (for the same field of view), and Sony/Zeiss 24-70/2.8 @ 32mm.

    The M 24/2.8 ASPH and Zeiss zoom showed little to no color fringing. The Nikon was minimal and acceptable ... with the 24 LUX clearly the worst of the lot with an unacceptable level of image degradation due to fringing IMHO. I then tried the lens at f/2, 2.8 and 4, with f/4 still showing CA.

    Not what I was expecting from an M ASPH lenses in this stratospheric price range.

    Pictures in broad daylight are one thing ... but that isn't what I would buy a f/1.4 lens for. Contrasty lighting and back-lit subjects are inevitable when shooting available light in dimmer ambient conditions.

    Caveat: it could well be it is just this copy of the 24/1.4 ASPH ... however, my question would be how the heck could such an expensive lens make it out the door with this sort of CA?

    You be the judge. Buyer Beware!

    Marc

  2. #2
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Marc

    Sean Reid reported this behavior in the 24 1.4 in his recent review. He found ,in his tests for CA, that at 1.4 the levels would bother some photographers but that at 2.0 it was greatly improved. At 2.8 the lux had barely distinguishable CA and was better than the elmarit at 2.8. Is that what you found as well?

    I understand why you expect and require better performance wide open...but am equally concerned about the possibility for sample variation.

    Roger

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Do you have a shot of the 24/1.4 @ 2.8 for a direct comparison at the same aperture?

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Do you have a shot of the 24/1.4 @ 2.8 for a direct comparison at the same aperture?
    Yes I do @ f/2, 2.8, and 4 none of which quite matches the Zeiss Zoom for control of CA IMO.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    To achieve such fast aperture must be a serious engineering challenge, appears to be one of those pesky compromise situations. Seems to be reduced as it is stopped down. What magnification are these?

  6. #6
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    I would be interested in seeing what happens if a raw file is processed in C1 with its lens fixes enabled.
    thanks
    -bob

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    In C1 (4.8) not a trace.... 100% crop of a 1.4 shot

    I must admit I noticed some purple fringing in an earlier shot, which I developed in an older version of C4. I just redeveloped it in 4.8 and it had totally disappeared. It seems to be a question of the RAW developer. This lens needs C1 4.8 it seems.
    Last edited by jaapv; 14th May 2009 at 14:58.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  8. #8
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    The same image in ACR. It is clearly a RAW converter issue.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    In C1 (4.8) not a trace.... 100% crop of a 1.4 shot

    I must admit I noticed some purple fringing in an earlier shot, which I developed in an older version of C4. I just redeveloped it in 4.8 and it had totally disappeared. It seems to be a question of the RAW developer. This lens needs C1 4.8 it seems.
    Sorry, even this image looks soft to me. But, it's definitely better.

    How is C1 fixing the issue? I mean, what is employed to correct it? Is this lens already mapped by Phase One?

    That it is sensor blooming is speculative ... wouldn't we have to shoot some film shots with medium to low contrast emulsions to see if that's true?

    Also, my very first back-lit shots with the lens were far worse than those I posted here. I deleted them because I had not shot the same scene with a different lens as a control. In all honesty, I cannot imagine software fixing such severe fringing.

    My experience to date is that a lens prone to color fringing can be generally corrected with software, but never really produces the same edge definition as a lens that doesn't exhibit it. The examples I showed are at the focus point, not out of focus areas which are less worrisome since software color corrections are okay on soft edges IMO.

    I haven't updated my C1 version for some time now, and only have v 4.1.3 on my machine ... with one update left I think ... so I'd have to pay yet more money to even see if I can make this lens acceptable for my applications ... which include a lot of lower light, back-lit and rim lit subjects.

    Like many wedding shooters, I use Lightroom for speed of workflow reasons and to integrate different cameras into one working file. LR has advanced to point that I need resort to PS only for extreme retouching needs. I could never get C1 to work that fast with that many files.

    I do dearly wish I could make this lens work for me. I need the speed because ISO 640 is the stopping point for wedding work with the M8. It's a lens I saw as making up for the shortcomings of the M8 compared to other non-cropped frame, higher ISO capable cameras.

    I guess I'll really look the fool if I decide to keep it and re-list my 24/2.8 ASPH

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    If you <yousendit> send me a DNG, I can load it into C4.8 and mail you the result. Let me know. You can use info#jaapvphotography^eu. I may be able to get it in late tonight. (Guests tomorrow and I have to do the Tiramisu and the Asperagus Mousse and some other things...) Yes it is slightly soft, a quicky handheld shot of my desklamp... No tripod etc and at 100%... It was about the CA
    I can understand that you are not keen to use the evaluation version of C4.8, those kind of things tend to upset your current version.
    Last edited by jaapv; 15th May 2009 at 02:38.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    If you <yousendit> send me a DNG, I can load it into C4.8 and mail you the result. Let me know. You can use info#jaapvphotography^eu. I may be able to get it in late tonight. (Guests tomorrow and I have to do the Tiramisu and the Asperagus Mousse and some other things...) Yes it is slightly soft, a quicky handheld shot of my desklamp... No tripod etc and at 100%... It was about the CA
    I can understand that you are not keen to use the evaluation version of C4.8, those kind of things tend to upset your current version.
    Jaapv you are a gem ... and the type of person that makes this forum worth visiting on a daily basis.

    I occurred to me that if indeed the new version of C1 handles the issue, there is no need to do EVERY shot in that program. I can do my usual work flow in Lightroom which handles most of the M 24/1.4 ASPH shots just fine. Then when there is the occasional shot with strong back lighting or rim lighting, and it's a keeper ... then bring C1 to bear on it.

    F/1.4 is something I need very much for my available light work ... which is why I sacrificed a lot of other gear to get this lens. I really want it to work for me. Your help is very much appreciated.

    Let me play with the lens longer, and shoot with it in more diverse conditions where a lens like this is needed. My dealer has given me permission to do so, so I can take my time. Afterwards, I may have something to send you to see if C1 handles it before I incur more costs upgrading my older version.

    Thank you so much,

    Marc

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    It doesn't take much time to remove fringing in Photoshop, I don't use Lightroom, maybe it can be done there as well?

    Found this link:

    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=650125
    Last edited by monza; 15th May 2009 at 07:27.

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Jaapv you are a gem ... and the type of person that makes this forum worth visiting on a daily basis.

    I occurred to me that if indeed the new version of C1 handles the issue, there is no need to do EVERY shot in that program. I can do my usual work flow in Lightroom which handles most of the M 24/1.4 ASPH shots just fine. Then when there is the occasional shot with strong back lighting or rim lighting, and it's a keeper ... then bring C1 to bear on it.

    F/1.4 is something I need very much for my available light work ... which is why I sacrificed a lot of other gear to get this lens. I really want it to work for me. Your help is very much appreciated.

    Let me play with the lens longer, and shoot with it in more diverse conditions where a lens like this is needed. My dealer has given me permission to do so, so I can take my time. Afterwards, I may have something to send you to see if C1 handles it before I incur more costs upgrading my older version.

    Thank you so much,

    Marc
    No problem, I hope it works out for you. Just give me a shout.
    Btw, given your profession and your interest, there is a nice article in LFI on Brett, which you might find relevant
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belg´e
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Marc -- just an FYI. i'm getting a 35 Lux Asph from a wedding photographer who is reluctantly letting it go after he picked up the 24/1.4 and found it met his needs much better. i'd seriously look at your lens you closer. it may be a PITA to put some images through C1, but i think it will ultimately serve your needs better.

    i don't normally do events (how do you do it?), but just shot my nephews bar-mitzvah. i would have died without f/1 - f/1.4!

    no need to be embarrassed if you put the Elmarit back for sale. i am honestly amazed at how quickly you all adjust to new lenses. i typically will only shoot with that one lens for a couple of weeks to get a handle on one -- whereas many here seem to know immediately.... perhaps, sometimes, taking a little more time is necessary?

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Marc -- just an FYI. i'm getting a 35 Lux Asph from a wedding photographer who is reluctantly letting it go after he picked up the 24/1.4 and found it met his needs much better.
    Congratulations Cam - I know it is what you really wanted

    Marc - good luck with the further testing . I know only too well how easy it is to reject something out of initial disappointment . . . and then fall in love with it's good qualities later.

    Just this guy you know

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Did you write that with your wife looking over your shoulder?
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  17. #17
    Member ElvisKennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    I have to do the Tiramisu .
    Really? It's my favorite. What time will you be serving?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belg´e
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisKennedy View Post
    Really? It's my favorite. What time will you be serving?
    LOL! i controlled myself myself from commenting (i side-track far too many threads), but i happen to love it as well as the mousse. Jaap -- can you PM the recipes?

    and, Jono, thank you. it's a beaut! just received it and i think i'm seriously in love!!! indeed all i wanted

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Cam - Did you buy Jason's 35 lux? FYI, that was my first lux lens which I used to make many beautiful images all over the world... Enjoy!

  20. #20
    Subscriber Member mwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    74

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    cam you'll love it...my favorite lens. It stays on my M8 90% of the time.
    Mike

    website under construction

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Congratulations Cam - I know it is what you really wanted

    Marc - good luck with the further testing . I know only too well how easy it is to reject something out of initial disappointment . . . and then fall in love with it's good qualities later.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    I'm not sure what C1 does, but it eliminate purple fringe that other raw editors do not. I did this back in '08 with the Mamiya ZD & 80mm lens -



    So, it has nothing to do with Phase One "mapping" a lens. I think they've tuned their C1 profiles to seek a specific hue of magenta and desaturate it.

  23. #23
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    LOL! i controlled myself myself from commenting (i side-track far too many threads), but i happen to love it as well as the mousse. Jaap -- can you PM the recipes?

    and, Jono, thank you. it's a beaut! just received it and i think i'm seriously in love!!! indeed all i wanted

    four eggs - 100grams of sugar-500grams of mascarpone- three shots of espresso-four (at least) tots of Amaretto - Italian finger biscuits- cacao powder.

    Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until frothy - whip the whites to a snowy consistency. Mix the mascarpone with the yolk mixture and fold into the whites.
    Soak the biscuits in the coffee and amaretto.Not so much that they are completely soggy, but well drenched. Do it one by one when making a layer.
    Make a layer, put on a layer of the mixture, another layer of soaked biscuits and the rest of the mascarpone mixture. Use a small sieve to dust with the cacao powder. Leave in the fridge overnight.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belg´e
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Riccis View Post
    Cam - Did you buy Jason's 35 lux? FYI, that was my first lux lens which I used to make many beautiful images all over the world... Enjoy!
    but of course! this first week was beyond hellacious with family obligations and jury duty, but i somehow managed to snag your sweet little lens from Jason -- though he made me promise to give him first dibbs if i ever considered selling it. he *really* was loathe to let it go -- but the 24 Lux suited his needs better which i completely understand.you can easily go wider in that type of photography and often need it. lucky me!

    Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    cam you'll love it...my favorite lens. It stays on my M8 90% of the time.
    i do already and it's only my first day! i have a feeling it will on mine most of the time as well and am already itching to get back to Paris to really test it. the fact that it has Riccis' mojo makes it even sweeter.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    thank you, Jaap!

  25. #25
    Member ElvisKennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post

    four eggs - 100grams of sugar-500grams of mascarpone- three shots of espresso-four (at least) tots of Amaretto - Italian finger biscuits- cacao powder.

    Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until frothy - whip the whites to a snowy consistency. Mix the mascarpone with the yolk mixture and fold into the whites.
    Soak the biscuits in the coffee and amaretto.Not so much that they are completely soggy, but well drenched. Do it one by one when making a layer.
    Make a layer, put on a layer of the mixture, another layer of soaked biscuits and the rest of the mascarpone mixture. Use a small sieve to dust with the cacao powder. Leave in the fridge overnight.
    Beautiful! Thanks.

  26. #26
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I occurred to me that if indeed the new version of C1 handles the issue, there is no need to do EVERY shot in that program. I can do my usual work flow in Lightroom which handles most of the M 24/1.4 ASPH shots just fine. Then when there is the occasional shot with strong back lighting or rim lighting, and it's a keeper ... then bring C1 to bear on it.
    I have said this so many times I worry I will sound like a broken record, but here goes...

    EVERY camera I have ever had that was supported by both LR and C1, the C1 conversion kick's the LR conversion's butt every time. And always by a noticeable amount. This is not only in terms of detail, but also in terms of more accurate (and pleasing) color and better controlled sensor aberrations and noise.

    I know folks love the cataloging feature of LR and are used to the UI, but from a quality raw-processing standpoint, nothing can touch C1 at present, IMHO. And I know how hard it is to give up LR --- it took Jim Collum over a year to convince me...

    /rant,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    I wouldn't give up dodge and burn in a raw converter for all the extra sharpness in the world...

    There's an article on LL about using both C1 and LR together.

    I think the difference is (possibly) that wedding shooters like myself or Marc need to work very fast through over 1000 RAW images at a time often multiple times a week, fast and easy trumps ultimate potential quality...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  28. #28
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    I do many many images at once also. Just a matter of workflow. LR brought nothing faster to the table for me and you can mix camera files up as well in one folder. Dodge and burn is something I rarely have to do. Not sure why this one is important but highlight and recovery are also on C1 and actually function better from what I remember of LR.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I do many many images at once also. Just a matter of workflow. LR brought nothing faster to the table for me and you can mix camera files up as well in one folder. Dodge and burn is something I rarely have to do. Not sure why this one is important but highlight and recovery are also on C1 and actually function better from what I remember of LR.
    Guy, Lightroom has become absolutely numeral uno for wedding shooters because of the ability to now avoid Photoshop almost completely. The brushes and gradient tools are so fast for evening out PJ shots done on the fly in rapidly changing lighting conditions and variable flash effects. It has cut an entire day off processing a wedding for me.

    That said, I probably need to take some instruction on C1 ... I hear you and Jack ... and the whole CA/sensor bloom correction on the M24/1.4 that Jaap demonstrated is pretty convincing. However, I don't think it can replace LR for general workflow speed ... even my wedding shooter pal Marcin switched to LR from C1 for reasons of speed/volume ... and he was really good at C1 having exclusively used it for years.

    I'm to the point of paying someone to teach me more about C1 since I've never gotten along with it all that well. But when you pay this kind of $$$$$ for a single lens to try and make a difference for ambient light work, it's kind of dumb to degrade it with less than the best processing tools ... at least for select shots that will benefit.

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I'm to the point of paying someone to teach me more about C1 since I've never gotten along with it all that well. But when you pay this kind of $$$$$ for a single lens to try and make a difference for ambient light work, it's kind of dumb to degrade it with less than the best processing tools ... at least for select shots that will benefit.
    That's been my problem and a question I've been asking for a while which version is the right one to be using (since there are a lot of versions floating around) and how does one actually learn it. C1 really has no form of instruction. No books etc. I need to hire one of my "friends" for lessons. Or, why don't we call it a weekend C1 intensive workshop....hint hint

  31. #31
    Subscriber Member mwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    74

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    That's been my problem and a question I've been asking for a while which version is the right one to be using (since there are a lot of versions floating around) and how does one actually learn it. C1 really has no form of instruction. No books etc. I need to hire one of my "friends" for lessons. Or, why don't we call it a weekend C1 intensive workshop....hint hint
    I have the same problem... for me is not as easy to learn as LR. But I would be willing to take workshop.

    Ben can you link to that LL article..thanks
    Mike

    website under construction

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Okay, I purchased C1 Pro last month intending to switch. But after rating a batch of 3000 images and then losing all of that I just gave up. What I will do is if I have really specific outputs (say fine art prints or a high end magazine) I will do those specific files in C1. Otherwise for most end use LR is more than adequate and if you don't know where things are or can't get them out quick then why bother. A little extra sharpness means nothing compared to actually easily keeping track, making easy web galleries, quick dodging and burning, etc.

    I really really wanted to like C1 but the UI and cataloging and rating system just totally lost it for me. I guess I'm not that much of a pixel peeper when it comes to high volume purposes. A show of say 20 or so images I can deal with C1 but not thousands.

  33. #33
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    We can do a workshop on just C1 if we can get enough folks to sign up. I can even hopefully bring in Doug between us you can get a firm handle on how to work with it. Including speed freak processing like I do. CI also has online tutorials with Doug but nothing like sitting next to it happening in front of you which obviously is a very good way to learn. Yes I can be hired too for personal instruction. LOL

    My motto these days is yes I can be bought
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    I have the same problem... for me is not as easy to learn as LR. But I would be willing to take workshop.

    Ben can you link to that LL article..thanks
    I'm new to the forum, but happened to have read LL article before seeing this thread...

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...workflow.shtml

    Jeff

  35. #35
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Essential the part is that C1 is really the raw converter that is doing all the hard work of processing and than taking some functions in LR that are not in C1 and further process the Tiff file. It's actually cheating to some degree which is fine but the real work is done in C1 with using LR for functions.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belg´e
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My motto these days is yes I can be bought
    i won't say what i was going to say, but i think you know my sense of humour -- and that it was all thought of with love

    seriously, i think it would be great if you and Jack did an intensive workshop in C1!

    i was one of those stragglers who who wasn't convinced that C1 was a better processor and thought the interface was horrid. at the same time, i've been perfectly happy using an alternative RAW processor for my photos (SPP, Epson RAW) and then taking them into Photoshop to finish and was always able to do the two processes as quick as one and it never bothered me.

    working with the M8, i looked at Aperture and Adobe RAW and wasn't satisfied with either. i hunkered down with C1 and, admidst much cussing, figured it out and fell in love. there was no doubt in my mind that it was made to be the RAW converter for M8 files and i immediately saw a difference.

    people have asked me to explain the differences and, to be honest, i can't quite articulate them -- even as i can see them plain as day. they're there and they're real.

    i know part of the difference is that i was originally shooting (and for some lenses, still am) without IR filters and Jamie Roberts profiles were a godsend. but there is also something undefinable to me in the details that i can pull from C1 that adds magic to the photos that were otherwise lacking in other converters.

    i am a total convert and wish others could see what C1 does. i think a workshop would be a brilliant idea as it's a huge part (whether we like it or not) of the process of shooting with a Leica.

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Man-o-man, I spent part of today trying C1 with the M files ... and right you are. It blows away ACR ... especially in the color rendition and noise department.

    Not only that, I took some shots at ISO 1250 and used C1 plus some PS techniques I've developed and the results were nothing like processing 1250 in ACR ... the files are much cleaner going in.

    For some odd reason C1 just clicked for me and I'm off and running. Still like LR for work flow, but for these Leica M8 RAW files there is no comparison.

    Next, I'm going to try some A900 files. C1 may move that camera up a useable ISO setting compared to ACR.

    Thanks all, especially Jaap, Guy and Jack for the shove upward.

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Man-o-man, I spent part of today trying C1 with the M files ... and right you are. It blows away ACR ... especially in the color rendition and noise department.

    Not only that, I took some shots at ISO 1250 and used C1 plus some PS techniques I've developed and the results were nothing like processing 1250 in ACR ... the files are much cleaner going in.

    For some odd reason C1 just clicked for me and I'm off and running. Still like LR for work flow, but for these Leica M8 RAW files there is no comparison.

    Next, I'm going to try some A900 files. C1 may move that camera up a useable ISO setting compared to ACR.

    Thanks all, especially Jaap, Guy and Jack for the shove upward.

    Here is another thread going about LR and C1. I also am going to work on a new workflow. Unfortunately C1 doesn't cover all of my gear but I think I can figure out a good flow.

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...9938#post99938

  39. #39
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Man-o-man, I spent part of today trying C1 with the M files ... and right you are. It blows away ACR ... especially in the color rendition and noise department.

    Not only that, I took some shots at ISO 1250 and used C1 plus some PS techniques I've developed and the results were nothing like processing 1250 in ACR ... the files are much cleaner going in.

    For some odd reason C1 just clicked for me and I'm off and running. Still like LR for work flow, but for these Leica M8 RAW files there is no comparison.

    Next, I'm going to try some A900 files. C1 may move that camera up a useable ISO setting compared to ACR.

    Thanks all, especially Jaap, Guy and Jack for the shove upward.

    Great news and fast workflow can be done with just some great applying of adjustments globally than fine tuning
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Here is another thread going about LR and C1. I also am going to work on a new workflow. Unfortunately C1 doesn't cover all of my gear but I think I can figure out a good flow.

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...9938#post99938
    That is where I need the help. Workflow. LR is so fast for mass processing.

    At any rate, I can still do key shots that need C1 and drop them into the LR workflow until I learn more about C1.

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Are you now satisfied with the results from the 24/1.4?
    Any more experience with that lens?
    Regards, Tom

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    HI There
    All interesting stuff - I actually quite like C1, I also like it's quick support for relevant cameras (even if they're a little off the market leaders).

    Still, I'm interested that nobody really mentions Aperture - it seems to me that it has all the workflow benefits of LR, and at least some of the processing benefits of C1 (it's certainly streets better than LR for both the M8 and the A900).

    Like everyone else here - I'm interested in working out a more sophisticated workflow in C1 which might make me change over.

    It does lead me to one BIG question though - should I upgrade to the pro version of C1? I imagine so, but it doesn't seem to have been mentioned.

    Just this guy you know

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Marc - good luck with the further testing . I know only too well how easy it is to reject something out of initial disappointment . . . and then fall in love with it's good qualities later.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Did you write that with your wife looking over your shoulder?
    HI Jaap
    No - indeed - and it certainly wouldn't have been me - but the other way around - oh yes! She rejected me at 18 and fell in love with my better qualities at 29

    Just this guy you know

  44. #44
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    I still can't get the output file from C1 to match how it shows in C1. Looks about a stop darker in PS and I'm using the right colour space, etc. Until I work that one out I can't actually use the program.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Are you now satisfied with the results from the 24/1.4?
    Any more experience with that lens?
    Regards, Tom
    Yes, I've come around to being much more satisfied, thanks to the folks on this forum. C1 does make a difference as far as the M8 files are concerned. Jaap's demo of CA/Sensor bloom control from the 24/1.4 was pretty convincing. Hat's off to my dealer for allowing me to keep testing it before committing just about my entire equipment fund to one lens

    The 24/1.4 ASPH is a pretty contrasty lens as far as I can tell so far. I haven't experienced flare as of yet. But as a low light lens it seems to fit my specific needs and I've decided to keep it. The OOF areas are delicious and seductive ... that was never in question

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I still can't get the output file from C1 to match how it shows in C1. Looks about a stop darker in PS and I'm using the right colour space, etc. Until I work that one out I can't actually use the program.
    My C1 files seem more accurate than when coming out of LR to PS Ben. I keep losing a bit of contrast when processing out of LR, where the C1 files hold more true.

    Do you have your "working" monitor colorspace selected in C1?

  47. #47
    Subscriber Member mwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    74

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Even a "walk you through" video like what Michael Reichman and Jeff Schewey did with Lightroom would be very helpful. Maybe a video with Guy or Jack and the C1 dude...... could be a money maker.
    Mike

    website under construction

  48. #48
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    My C1 files seem more accurate than when coming out of LR to PS Ben. I keep losing a bit of contrast when processing out of LR, where the C1 files hold more true.

    Do you have your "working" monitor colorspace selected in C1?
    The loss of contrast is due to the working colour space in LR being ProPhoto and you can't change it, when you save the files out as another colour space it converts and you lose out. I've got a friend who just gave up on LR and moved to the Bridge/ACR workflow that I use just because of that. It's practically impossible to blow anything in ProPhoto, the colour space is so huge, when you save out in something like sRGB the histogram is going to look very different.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  49. #49
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I still can't get the output file from C1 to match how it shows in C1. Looks about a stop darker in PS and I'm using the right colour space, etc. Until I work that one out I can't actually use the program.
    Ben make sure C1 is like Prophoto and also PS working space is identical. Ignore my 60 percent reduction in file size that should be 100 percent
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  50. #50
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: User Report: 24/1.4 ASPH: Disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Even a "walk you through" video like what Michael Reichman and Jeff Schewey did with Lightroom would be very helpful. Maybe a video with Guy or Jack and the C1 dude...... could be a money maker.
    Looking for Mac software that will record what I am doing on screen along with voice. Like this http://tv.adobe.com/?trackingid=DXGGO#vi+f1582v1845
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •