The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Second Time Around

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'm ready to punch in B7 for Frank's Second Time Around.

After much angst and some scrounging for spare change between couch cushions, I'm feeling happy as I'm again an M guy. I grabbed an M8.2 and 35lux from David at Dale. There's something about the Leica M that just feels right to me.

So, I'll step away from the bar .... and reacquaint myself with an old friend.

Kurt

John Black

That's a big freakin' couch!!! :) Compared to carrying a medium format or pro dSLR set-up, the M8 is a nice change of pace and size.

stevem8

Man, I better check my couch as I am eyeing a 35 Lux myself...

My 3rd time around has been the best with the M8...

cam

Kurt -- that is a perfect example of the magic of this combo... welcome back into the fold!

Steve -- you *have* to get one, plain and simple. Bob (our super moderator) is selling a mint one that's been perfectly calibrated for the M8. i know he's traveling to Europe right now, but drop him a line. you won't regret it.

Welcome back Kurt, that's great! The 35/1.4 asph was the first lens I bought for the M8 (fortunately a few months before the M8 came to the stores when I could get it for $1700). It's a fabulous lens. I drifted away from it as I added others, and the 28 cron came to be used more often on the M8, and the 35 more on the M7. But just in the past few days I've been working with it again on the M8 and it's just great having the extra stop for the shooting I do. I have not found focus shift to result in any situations where an image was ruined or even compromised, though there is slight shifting evident between 2.8-4 But you need to be shooting rulers and such to see it. I had been of the opinion that "only one lens allowed" would be a 28 cron on the M8, but I'd say the 35 lux would be my choice now for the M8, or a 50 lux, oh never mind that silly game. Just glad to see you back in the M clan, we'll probably sell each other a few more lenses now. best...Peter

ElvisKennedy

Long lost cousin Kurt:

Nice to see you jumped. I ended up keeping my M8.2, now with 28/2.8 and 75/2 lenses. Let's get together soon. You can share the family tree and teach me how to take ONE good landscape shot.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Kurt

I just took a look at your website..don t know if this is new? The M really fits your style of shooting and it looks like you have some captive subjects. Phototelling is a brilliant name . Highly recommended.

Roger

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hey John, I've had to make a habit of searching for spare change under the couch cushions of all of my friends and neighbors also.

Steve, I spent about a year away from the M8 ... which was a good thing as it helped me understand why I was attracted to the camera in the first place, and, in addition, what types of things I most enjoyed shooting with it. The 35lux was easily my favorite lens on the M8. This time around, I'm going to stick with the 35lux for a long time before I add anything else.

Thanks Cam, it's good to be back.

Peter, I really like the M8 and those brilliant little M lenses ... in the end, I've always had a thing for great glass. I do a lot of indoor, non-flash shooting. So the 35lux works like a charm for me. I had a chrome 35lux with no shift issues that I sold (doh!) and now have a black version that has tiny bit of shift between 2 and 2.8 but is very sharp wide open and past 2.8. I can certainly be happy with the lens as a sharp 1.4 was what I was most interested in. Lens swapping? What's that all about? You must be mistaking me for someone else. ;D

Thanks for the compliment, Clifford.

Elvis, I have been negligent in getting back to you. I'll send you a note. I'm glad you were able to keep your M8.2 ... forget the landscapes, you do so much else well.

Thanks much for checking out the site and the compliment, Roger. It's a first crude attempt at putting together my own site. As you can see, I'm not much of an editor as I should include less photos. But, perhaps I'm a bit of photo pack rat. I really like the name, phototelling, as it hopefully reduces photography to its most essential quality.

Kurt

Kurt,
"Love's more comfortable, the second time you fall." I'm still using an old acquaintance of yours :) Keep up the good work.
--Mark