The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More M8 Fun [POST YER PIX!]

fotografz

fotografz, i just bought a used leica lens for 200$. when you say calibrated do you mean send it in to leica to adjust the focus? what was the cost of the calibration?

Here's a photo taken with my newly acquired used Leica Summicron 50mm f2.0 III (f2.0, 1/60, 160). I notice that to get the target area in focus, I need to shift the focus off to the right by almost a millimeter, otherwise it'll be out of focus.

– dan

Yep, same thing happened to me with this used 90/2.8 current version. I sent it to my Leica Dealers' recommended repair guy and it quickly came back focusing perfectly.

IMO, if it isn't warranty work, I would NOT send it to Leica ... Even warranty work is a crap shoot. I sent a NEW back-focusing 50/1.4 ASPH to them twice without any fix ... then included it in a batch of lenses and two M8s on December 3rd 2007 ... one M8 and the 50/1.4 ASPH, a 75/1.4, and a 90/2AA went to the "Black Hole" repair facility in Germany, and I haven't heard a peep since.

I'd send your lens to DAG for focus adjustment.

Daniel

Yep, same thing happened to me with this used 90/2.8 current version. I sent it to my Leica Dealers' recommended repair guy and it quickly came back focusing perfectly.

IMO, if it isn't warranty work, I would NOT send it to Leica ... Even warranty work is a crap shoot. I sent a NEW back-focusing 50/1.4 ASPH to them twice without any fix ... then included it in a batch of lenses and two M8s on December 3rd 2007 ... one M8 and the 50/1.4 ASPH, a 75/1.4, and a 90/2AA went to the "Black Hole" repair facility in Germany, and I haven't heard a peep since.

I'd send your lens to DAG for focus adjustment.
thank you for the tip, but i'm afraid i don't know who is DAG. a shop?

- dan

robsteve

Subscriber
The 35mm Summicron ASHP has to be my favorite lens on the M8. It is small and performs well when shot wide open, as it was here.

Gene is an avid photographer and has taken many photography trips to the South Western USA. He told me he will be there again somtime next month.

fotografz

thank you for the tip, but i'm afraid i don't know who is DAG. a shop?

- dan
Don Goldberg, an excellent repair source ... can't locate his contact info ... maybe someone else here has it readily available and will post it for you along with other good sources.

Daniel

Don Goldberg, an excellent repair source ... can't locate his contact info ... maybe someone else here has it readily available and will post it for you along with other good sources.
thanks fotografz, cindy posted a link a few posts back.

I'm very please with this lens. I don't find the back-focus a problem because I'm able to easily work around it. I think it'd still be worth the trouble to get it calibrated, but not until I get to play with it some more.

Leica Summicron 50mm f2.0 III (f5.6, 1/250, 160, Metz 20C-2 flash)

Last edited:

fotografz

A few from a trip to LA last week to shoot a TV commercial and supervise CGI work.

Had the weekend and Presidents Day off to walk about with the M8 perpetually set to ISO 640. The new AWB is pretty good now.

1) on set ... some camera huh? M35 ASPH

2) Checking out the scenery : -) M90/2.8

3) Jesus takes a break. M90/2.8

4) War Protest near Santa Monica Pier. M28/2

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
After still being sick after 8 days being in bed or close to it. I need some real humor. Maybe go hang out with some street people and have some kind of fun. I'm bored shooting this corporate stuff . Whens my next workshop.

Okay hint San Juan , Street shooting and i am working on some fashion models for a complete l day of shooting in Old San Juan. Now that sounds like fun besides some street shooting the rest of the time.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think it is a Arri 16mm film movie camera. Nice hunk of gear , now there is that Mercedes you wanted. LOL

Maggie O

Looks like an Arriflex 35mm motion picture camera, with video capture (see the piece of toast on the monitor). Nice rig.

Arris are pretty cool, even if they aren't Mitchells. ;)

fotografz

Clearly that's not an M8 with a 35 Cron-asph, but what is it? model, film size, lens? Is it sucking down the monitor screen one frame at a time for your cgi material, or does it get to photograph real objects?

scott
Scott, it's an ARRI 35mm film camera with an Angeneux Zoom lens. It has live view video feed and recording for play backs of different takes for evaluation. Check out the the "tripod head" shown in this closer view : -)

Most of my TV commercial we am doing is CGI, but we shoot live footage for a portion of the final edit, and use other live footage as a guide for lighting the CGI work yet to be done.

Last edited:

fotografz

I love Mitchell Movie cameras Maggie ... old time rock 'n roll. The "Mickey Mouse Ears" film transport cans are soooo cool.

I learned cinematography and editing the hard way ... shot my buddy's Beaulieu as a kid and manually edited in the basement the old fashioned way ... film hanging all over the place, tape splicing, etc. etc. Came in handy when I went into advertising later.

Stuff like that is long gone in the commercial editing world. Every thing is digital and fast as hell compared to the old days (which really aren't that long ago). Movieolas are relics used as decorations in lobbies of editing houses.

Last edited: