The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More M8 Fun [POST YER PIX!]

robsteve

Subscriber
About a week ago we had some more snow and decided to take the kids sledding. I took the M8 and it made out fine even though it got sprayed with snow a few times. I thought this might happen, so had a microfibre cloth in my pocket to wipe off the snow. I used the 50mm Summicron and tried to follow focus for the shots below.

In this sequence, my wife is racing my two sons. The first shot is from a later race, but fit better in this sequence.

jonoslack

Looking daggers in Cortona
. . .
This was taken last autumn, but I just found it again . . .

50mm zeiss sonnar

Last edited:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Running Terrapin

I can tell you guys and gals one thing: If I can take an obsolete and crazy lens, a fortyfive year old Rube Goldberg contraption, stuff it onto a camera that was never meant for the purpose, and get consistent and amazing (imo) results like these,and besides that many more by many others by more conventional means in this thread, I can advise the whole community of Leica bashers on the Internet where they can stuff their collective heads.....

Terry

JAAP - can you show us a picture of the lens and set-up you are using. The results certainly work and I remember the skeptics when you were heading to Africa with an M8.

terry

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I had an advantage: I took an M3 and a Telyt-V in Visoflex on safari in Kenya in the early seventies - I knew what I was getting into.I must confess, though, that the results with the M8 encouraged me to spend some more money and get an R9/DMR for this year.:(;)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Holy crap. That thing takes the term "shooting" to a whole new level. Traveling through airport security with it must be interesting. And you're right, it is very cool that you can mount an M8 on it and get those wonderful results.

Daniel

@ jaapv: wow! how do you frame and focus?

Philadelphia, PA

Voigtlander Heliar 15mm f4.5 (f8.0, 1/250, 160). Zone Focused.

doug

@ jaapv: wow! how do you frame and focus?
The Novoflex has a unique focussing method: by squeezing the handgrip (the one closer to the camera) the lens head is moved back toward infinity focus. Close focus is by relaxing the grip. Jaap's version of the focussing mount also has a built-in variable extension tube controlled (I think) by the dial on top above the focussing grip.

I have the same lens head with an older version of the squeeze grip which has a bellows instead of the variable extension tube. It's very handy for extreme close-up photos. Here are a couple of my photos made with the Novoflex (on the R8/DMR):

IMHO there's no more responsive manual-focus wildlife lens than the Novoflex. The f/6.8 Telyts come close and are much lighter and less bulky.

Last edited:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
That is right, Doug, only the wheel on the top locks focus. The extension tube is locked by a ring on the rear of the lens.

Maggie O

Local wildlife, pretending to be a Robert Longo painting:

That'd be the 50/2 Heliar Classic and the Leica flash.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
That is right, Doug, only the wheel on the top locks focus. The extension tube is locked by a ring on the rear of the lens.
(Nice action shot, Maggie :))

Too late, my post one up won't edit any more...
There is of course a lot of DNA shared between the Novoflex lenses and the Telyts.Not just the glass, which according to Jonathan Eastland was made by Leica. The Telyts were also available in Novfoflex grips, this Pigriff C I use is supposed to be able to take a Telyt 560 head, etc...The main difference between the Telyt 400/6.8 and the Noflexar-T 400/5.6 is the fact that the Telyt is aperture reduced to correct field curvature and the Noflexar had a lens element added for the same reason to make it a triplet - and about 700 grams heavier.
This gives the Noflexar two advantages - a half-stop more viewfinder brightness and a larger circle of maximum sharpness/resolution. On the Telyt it extends 9 mm, on the Noflexar 12 mm, making it sharp nearly into the corners on 1.3x crop.