The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More M8 Fun [POST YER PIX!]

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Yup. I tried that and didn't get any goodness. However, I put the battery in the charger and waited about an hour then retried. I was able to get a red light blink on the back of the camera (which was at least some kind of a sign of life), but no image in the counter/battery level indicator. So for now, I'm going with a completely depleted battery and have the thing plugged in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I somehow left the thing on and ran the battery down.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I was able to get a hairline of charge just before leaving for point Reyes. I kept the camera off until I couldn't stand it any more and then managed to make about 8 exposures before it quit. I'll charge it over night and should be back in business tomorrow. Good lesson to carry a spare battery! Thanks for the concern and tips. I'll see if anything came from Point Reyes. Beautiful place!

At least now you know it is a battery problem. Too bad you didn't have time to get more charge on it (or have a spare battery) before going to Point Reyes.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Tim,
I bought one of the first 1500 M8's. I had SDS on that M8 and nothing would revive it. Leica Solms wanted to take a good look at the M8, so they gave me another body.
It sounds like your problem is just a battery problem and that is a good thing. I had 2 batteries at the time of my SDS, but now I have 4. If I were you, I would at least pick up 2 more ASAP. I have mine labeled and I use them in sequence. I let them drain all the way down and then charge them all the way up. If you only have one, you'll get into situations like you are in now. Many times I have seen mine show life on the battery gauge, and then the gauge went to zero in a few shots. I think:cry: that battery gauge is not always accurate. Another thing is that I forget to turn mine off once in a while when I stick it in my bag. It leans on my big softie shutter release and bingo, dead battery before you know it.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Tim,
After I wrote the above, I was packing up my M8 for an overnight trip. I remembered Guy's dust bunnies on his wildlife photos from yesterday, so I got out my dust blower. My battery gauge showed more than half, but the M8 gave me a warning that the battery was too low to clean my sensor. Go figure.

Maybe if you contacted Tony Rose at Popflash, he could overnight a battery or two to your next left coast stop...just a thought to keep you shooting without worry. Good luck.

Maggie,
Sorry to go off topic.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
One of the few that I was able to make yesterday. Sorry for cluttering this picture thread up with my battery issues, maybe Guy can delete all that stuff.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim batteries issues are important ,let's just leave that because there have been issues , myself include with batteries . Another reference to stay on top of them.

Maggie if there is one Leica lens to get than I can't recommend the 28 cron enough. It is that good and i am one picky picky guy when it comes to lenses

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Van Nelle Design Factory

The old Van Nelle factory, built 1925-1931 by the van Nelle Tobacco, Tea and Coffee firm, is an important architectural landmark in Rotterdam. Nowadays it houses offices and small firms and is called the van Nelle Design Factory.
I had to be there yesterday for evening on the latest developments in implants and took the M8 with me. Photography turned out to be a lot more interesting...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Tim,
If you could only get a few, you got a killer shot there. Excellent!
Agreed. At least you pulled some beauty's off.
Thank you both! In some ways, dealing with an iffy battery made me extremely choosy. I didn't even turn the camera on until I had the shot framed and the aperture set. Forced me to think and pre-visualize more than I would have with an empty card and a full battery.