The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More M8 Fun [POST YER PIX!]

Maggie O

It was kind of like you were shooting large format film!

And may I say- you got Ansel-like quality results, too!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim, at the risk of being overly repetitive, that last shot IS awesome!

Daniel

Sometimes my battery indicator reads "zero" but I'm still able to take many more shots before it konks out.

I'm still debating with myself about getting a Leica 21mm, 24mm, or a 28mm. I think I'm gravitating towards the 28 Summicron. A few more months till my b-day. I'll find out very soon.

I have a 50 Summicron that I recently purchased from another photographer I randomly met in a cafe. It's now at DAG for calibration. Very excited about getting it back soon :)

Daniel

Daniel, I like the first shot...what lens did you use there?
Thank you.

Lens was a Zeiss Biogon 35mm f2.0 (f4.0, 1/1000, 640). The weather condition was very cloudy. My visual taste always gravitates toward high contrast. This lens has strong contrast, and I think it works well in cloudy condition when the lighting is diffused and quite "flat". This is a sharp lens, but sometimes I find it too sharp for some of my subjects. It won't make faltering portraits.

Here's the original representation via C1 – standard film curve, no sharpening, and all other settings at zero.

– daniel

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
At the risk of posting in the wrong place, I just scanned this negative shot with the MP that Linda lent me during the Moab Workshop.
Local drugstore processing :shocked:

fotografz

WoW! Now that is 3D. My natural reaction was to tilt my head a bit in an attempt to see behind the front rock formation : -)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob: WOW! Film obviously still has some life left in it! I see the range in that image and am in awe. Great capture!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks folks,
And Terry gave me the film, Thanks Terry!
It is interesting that when that image is printed at 13 by 19, it has visible grain and scanning artifacts as well as what seems to be chemical edge effect, which in digital we would call over-sharpened, nevertheless it does retain that 3D look. Photographers tend to look at prints a nose length away, but at arm's length, the 13 by 19 doesn't look too bad.
I have all sorts of stuff arriving on monday to develop my own B&W films. The drugstore processing I would call over-replenished and dirty. A decent print would have been very much a bother without digital ICE.
Yes, there is a use for film.
-bob

Now do I back up my M8 with its twin, or do I back it up with the MP and what do I back up the MP with (maybe nothing)??

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Bob,
I back up my M8 with an MP and couldn't be happier.

I have had my negs come back from the drug-store lab with streaks and scratches. If I let them scan them, they are not even usable. I'm going back to developing my own black and white, too.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cindy,
We should start a new group under image processing-chemical.
-bob

Terry

Dumb question but I haven't developed a roll of film in 20+ years. What is a good process and how precise does one need to be with temperature of the developer these days? Or even easier is there a good link to website with good info?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry,
There is a lot of good info on RFF. You have to wade through a lot to find it. When I find something interesting, I usually paste it into a document for future reference.

Bob,
I can't get myself set up till I get back to Wisconsin in April. I would love to trade ideas with people here who have knowledge and experience in getting this set up. I hope they start chiming-in. Maybe Jack can make a place for us as you suggested. I'm interested.

LJL

Terry,
While I understand the fun of doing your own souping, and getting to see things sooner, I still do not understand why you do not send your film to a good lab in NYC. They are still there, and your film will not be scratched and stuff like the drugstore processing. May cost a bit more and take an extra day or so, but you will like the results a lot more. having them do the scans may get pricey, but I sure would consider letting them do the developing, unless you really want to get back into Rodinal, stop baths, and all the other nasty smelling stuff. (I spent way, way too much time doing darkroom work many years ago, and you would be hard pressed to get me near one again.)

LJ

P.S. If anybody is really interested, I have lots of old Kindermann stainless steel tanks and reels, a complete Omega Dichroic enlarger and Nikkor lens, computer, you name it for a complete darkroom set-up. Been carefully boxed for decades ;-) I could not even donate it to a college or highschool teaching photography, as they do not even teach developing at most anymore, but instead, how to communicate with professional lab techs to let them do the work. How sad is that?!

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is not too hard to do, although there are still good labs in NYC I hear.
Temperature control for B&W is probably within a degree.
I used to run control strips and set up a temp vs time chart to hit my target curves.
This was an off-shoot of zone system style 4x5 where each sheet might get different processing depending on the luminance range of the subject.
But hey, it is not really that tough to do, and negative film is more forgiving than digital or transparency by maybe three or more stops.
So if you can borrow the reels, the chemicals and bottles to get you started is not that much. You might just give it a try.
I see that on ebay there are still some good condition nikor reels and tanks available.
-bob

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Memories oh those memories. Need Maggie for backup on the guitar here. At least 18 years since i been in a darkroom. Now that is scary