The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV announces 50 1.1 Nokton

Erik Five

No link, but Tom Abrahamsson tested it in March. There is some examples in his flickr stream. He says retail is about 1100$. Something tells me its gonna be a best seller ;) He says it looks like a 1.5 Nokton on steroids with E58.

woodyspedden

Just put down my $100 deposit with Stephen at Cameraquest. I have no idea when the lens might be available but I wanted to get in line early because if this lens is declared "good" by the early users there will be a frenzy to get one! If it is priced at $1300 as predicted it will be sold to all of those who lust after a Nocti but will never pay over $6K to get one. JMHO

Woody

LJL

Having the CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton (their older iteration), and the CV 35mm f1.2 Nokton, I can say that both are quite good lenses, and for the cost, are very nice. I actually carry both the 50/1.5 and my Leica 50/1.0 Noctilux in the bag, as I find that each has its own rather special delivery of the image. The Nokton tends to actually be a bit more sharp and contrasty, much like a Zeiss lens, which I prefer for the more "normal" look of things in slightly better light. The Noctilux is much harder to hit focus on at times, but it does deliver its classic look. If this new CV 50/1.1 Nokton is anything like their other Noktons, it could be a wonderful piece of kit for a much more reasonable price. Personally, I think the CVs are able to hit focus quicker than the Leica, and that is a constant plus at times when you need to get the shot sooner than later.

This is good to see.

LJ

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Just put down my $100 deposit with Stephen at Cameraquest. I have no idea when the lens might be available but I wanted to get in line early because if this lens is declared "good" by the early users there will be a frenzy to get one! If it is priced at $1300 as predicted it will be sold to all of those who lust after a Nocti but will never pay over $6K to get one. JMHO

Woody
You beat me Woody..

I'm waiting on a payment from the local Chamber of Commerce for some stock shots off mine. My M7 put a major dent in my camera fund but I'm going to scrape up a deposit for this lens. I love fast lenses and each one has a different look. Oh, the joys of shooting by moonlight....

N

nei1

Is it possible that it will be just different and not worse than the leica?That really would be interesting.

LJL

Neil,
Who may have suggested it will be "worse" than the Noctilux? I think it will just be a different look....maybe. The test will be the bokeh, in my opinion. I know that the bokeh on my other Noktons is good, but maybe not as creamy smooth as the Noctilux. Truth be told, the drawing is so nice on all of them that unless you have really sharp, angular things in the out of focus area where the Noktons tend to draw a bit more contrast, it is hard to tell some images apart shooting wide open. And stopped down....well, hard to see the CVs giving up any ground. My hunch is that this 50/1.1 will be quite a good lens and be more than able to capture some great images for users.

LJ

woodyspedden

Neil,
Who may have suggested it will be "worse" than the Noctilux? I think it will just be a different look....maybe. The test will be the bokeh, in my opinion. I know that the bokeh on my other Noktons is good, but maybe not as creamy smooth as the Noctilux. Truth be told, the drawing is so nice on all of them that unless you have really sharp, angular things in the out of focus area where the Noktons tend to draw a bit more contrast, it is hard to tell some images apart shooting wide open. And stopped down....well, hard to see the CVs giving up any ground. My hunch is that this 50/1.1 will be quite a good lens and be more than able to capture some great images for users.

LJ
I am very happy with the CV 35 1.2 Ultra nokton. only gripe is that it is huge! But there has to be a price to pay for quality glass that is really fast so i guess it is size and weight. If the new 50 1:1 attains the quality of the 35 1.2 I will be very happy. Heck I own the Hexanon 50 1.2 and I think it is one of the best M lenses made. But to get F1.0 at this price makes it (to me) a no brainer. Would I love to have a Nocti..........of course but I would also like a Porsche GTS and both are wonderful machines that are simply out of my price range.

So I will look forward to the new CV 50 1:1 and be happy. Way to go Mr Kobayashi!

Woody

woodyspedden

good lord, I just bought a Nikkor 50 1.4 last week from Cindy F. The truth is that all these lenses produce images that are different from one another. Sort of like trying to compare a Nocti with the 50Lux........apart from the FOV being identical almost nothing else is!

So let's hear it for a 50 pre-lux non asph; collabsible 50 elmar; 50 1.2 Hexanon; 50 1.4 Nikkor (1950's vintage) and next up is the 50 1:1 Nokton! Someone make me an offer or two. Even if I could afford all of these at my age (72) I can't carry all the damned things. LOL

A man has to retain some sins after all.

Woody