Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why I love Fedex.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why I love Fedex.....

How does the new lens handle color? The B&W is gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry: It is inevitable for the MBP to get the new Harpertown notebook processor equivalents, but from what I've read they don't have the performance jump over the predecessor the Mac Pro had. Still, since you have a system presently, it is certainly worth a bit f a wait to get the latest.

Maggie: IMO the pre-lux shows a slight watercolor/painterly look at the wider apertures (f1.4 through f2) compared to the Asph.

FWIW, my .02 comparison expanded... I found the Asph to be the sharpest 50 I ever shot, even wide open, and in fact it may be the sharpest lens I have ever used period. Also note that bokeh is very nice and smooth, yet the lens maintains very high contrast at all apertures. By comparison the pre shows softer contrast at the wider apertures, while still being quite sharp, but not as sharp as the Asph. The pre (a regular spherical design) also offers visible highlight aberrations at the wide apertures which gives it a kind of swirly bokeh in some lighting situations and a kind of veiling in others which are not present in the Asph. However, by f4 there is not enough difference between these lenses to tell them apart. As such, you get more "variety" of look with the pre, and at the widest apertures, a creamier or more watercolor look to the image; while you get a more consistent look across all apertures with the Asph.

Hope that helps clarify,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry: It is inevitable for the MBP to get the new Harpertown notebook processor equivalents, but from what I've read they don't have the performance jump over the predecessor the Mac Pro had. Still, since you have a system presently, it is certainly worth a bit f a wait to get the latest.

Hope that helps clarify,
    The beauty is that there is usually still a window of opportunity to buy the old once the new is announced and you can sometimes save a few bucks. If it were months away I wouldn't wait but I think we are now counting in days. What would be radical and totally cool is if they did something like putting both a smaller ssd and a regular hard drive into a new pro to give both plenty of space and some fast access. Something like what you were talking about with your mac pro and adding an ssd as a scratch disk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    but I think we are now counting in days.

What would be radical and totally cool is if they did something like putting both a smaller ssd and a regular hard drive into a new pro to give both plenty of space and some fast access. Something like what you were talking about with your mac pro and adding an ssd as a scratch disk.
    I suspect you are correct

And yes, that would be VERY cool! In fact, I want to use an SSD in my Mac Pro for scratch --- but I'll wait until the prices get a bit more reasonable...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, mine is not coded and it sure seems just fine to me!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a lot of room for focus errors

50 lux pre asph ISO 1250 f1.4 1/45
    Attachment 1846

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

VERY nice capture Terry!
    Jack

Digital Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    No i don't own the pre Asph , I have the ASPH 50mm which is a killer in sharpness and resoultion. I thought about the Pre though but I have a 35mm version IV cron and a 75 lux which most likely would give me the same look and feel. Also my issue is i don't use the 50mm often enough to have 2. Need to think ahead with FF hopefully coming and my 35mm maybe my lens cap than.
    Hello Guy,
    Interesting, when I brought up this same perspective I was essentially told to buy now based on what you can use now. However, I see that you’re looking ahead too. I just received part two of my lens set (50-lux) you recommended to me back in November (28/50/21). I was planning on the 21 as my third lens although “if” FF comes to pass on the M8 then I may be more inclined to go for a revised set of Leica (28/35/50) or (28/50/90). Any thoughts on this? I can’t afford a lens collection although I can justify a good set of three balanced primes as a primarily general-purpose shooter.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Digital Dude; 4th March 2008 at 04:16. Reason: added content

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I still see the 21mm as the lens for you though . Having the 28 and 50 that next gap is 21. Be it FF or Crop. Now a 90 would be ideal also. Nice kit in a 21,28,50,90. It's nice to think FF but if it comes that maybe a year from now as if we need to switch around a little than we have no lose of money in our glass.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Digital Dude

Thanks Guy,
    So be it; the 21 it is.
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What just us Desert rats up at 5 am. LOL

Geez people get the hell up.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    What just us Desert rats up at 5 am. LOL

Geez people get the hell up.
    Lazy critters
    I've been up for 7 hours (it's nearly time for a glass of wine!).

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I found the 21 tricky to use - the whole viewfinder didn't really do it justice, using an external viewfinder is a bother.

It's funny - I can easily visualise 15mm without a finder, but 21 is much more tricky - and of course, 24 is fine with the framelines anyway.
    So, my 21 went, and I have a 25mm zeiss together with the WATE (which does very well at 21 anyway) I also have the CV15 for travelling light. I'd like the 12, but the filter situation seems problematic.

Unfortunately there isn't a 'perfect' set, and I have a dangerous tendency to buy new lenses and have parallel 'sets'! (very expensive)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys are sick....

Jack

Digital Dude

Well, I’ve heard of the CV15 comparison before so when it becomes more practical I’ll buy a finder and look to borrow a 21 for a day to see for myself. I mean really, I’m just a hobbyist and I’ve already spent 12k in all new Leica gear since November. Next up is a new clothes dryer; I know – how boring but it will be a German Miele.
    Regards,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    Well, Iíve heard of the CV15 comparison before so when it becomes more practical Iíll buy a finder and look to borrow a 21 for a day to see for myself. I mean really, Iím just a hobbyist and Iíve already spent 12k in all new Leica gear since November. Next up is a new clothes dryer; I know Ė how boring but it will be a German Miele.
    Regards,
    HI Daniel
    I don't mean to put you off - it's certainly one of the best lenses out there. If you have a specific use for that focal length I think it's a must (mind you, both Zeiss and Voigtlander do nice 21's - especially if you don't need the f2.8).

Theoretically you don't need a finder with 21mm (just the whole of the viewfinder).
    the CV15 if you don't have it is a no-brainer; cheap as chips and generally splendid.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The CV 21 Color Skopar has made some of my favorite photos and, dare I say, the CV 28mm finder looks badass on my M8.

Really, the DOF of the 21 is deep enough that using an external VF is no trouble at all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    The CV 21 Color Skopar has made some of my favorite photos and, dare I say, the CV 28mm finder looks badass on my M8.

Really, the DOF of the 21 is deep enough that using an external VF is no trouble at all.
    Daniel,

I have a copy of the CV21 that I haven't yet put up for sale (bought Elmarit). I know it is a good copy because Sean Reid tested it. If you read his review, read the update adendum that was my lens. So, if you are looking for a low risk way into deciding if the focal length is right for you, send me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought I would resurrect this thread for a minute, because I am celebrating that I have come full circle. (This thread started because Terry was so happy to get her 50mm pre-ASPH lux.) I had a beautiful 50mm pre-ASPH when I got my M8. I got pulled into all the hub-bub and bought an ASPH. I sold my pre after while, even though I wasn't sure. I never really warmed to the ASPH, so I ordered a Noctilux and bought a used 50 cron as my everyday 50. Away went the ASPH. I got a CV 50 Nokton as part of a trade deal from someone who couldn't afford to make a deal unless I took the Nokton. I really liked the Nokton, but it has a lot more contrast. Off went the 50 cron to a friend in Japan.
    I have been yearning after my pre for a long time. The person who bought my pre loved it, so I was out of luck there. Finally, he gave in last week and agreed to sell it back to me. His M8 is black, so we agreed to find him a black one. Well, yesterday the little white postal truck delivered my silver gem back to me. Sometimes you have the best and just don't know it. Now I know it, and I'm never selling it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I had a beautiful 50mm pre-ASPH when I got my M8.

SNIP and I'm never selling it again.
    You are very lucky it worked out The 50 Pre is the last Leica M lens I will sell, period, regardless of full-frame or crop sensor, film or digital...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are very lucky it worked out The 50 Pre is the last Leica M lens I will sell, period, regardless of full-frame or crop sensor, film or digital...
    +1

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So you had a welcome home party?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is crazy how sometimes you don't know when you have the good stuff. I believed all the hype. I am really lucky to get it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There you go... Perfect example that one picture is worth a thousand words
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Who needs a Noctilux??? I love the bokeh of the pre-asph lux.

My new Noctilux had a slight back-focus. Guy tried it on his bodies and it was barely off, but it bothered me. It is off to DAG to be perfected. I probably will sell it now that I have my Lux back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shot Cindy. Now I want the lens and an Orchid!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Tim. The 50 pre-asph is a nice companion to the 28 cron. (Are we not good at egging each other on???)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great photo Cindy. Keep posting photos like this and the used prices of the 50 Lux pre-ASPH will go through the roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Mark. They are already scarce as hens teeth....especially silver beauties like mine.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still love Fedex....today they brought me a second M8 body, lovingly cared for by Woody. Now I have to take some worthy pictures with it.....

More seriously, for those of you with two bodies do you do anything special on file numbering?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More seriously, for those of you with two bodies do you do anything special on file numbering?
    Set one body to begin with a different digit, like L200xxxx.DNG versus the other body whch would then be L100xxxx.DNG. then in LR or ACR you can sort by filename to distinguish the two bodies, or sort by time of capture. In either event you won't run the risk of duplicate filenames.
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it and remembered there were instructions as it isn't an "on camera" thing.
    For those interested:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...t=reset+folder

Thr probability of me keeping my cards segregated or reformatted is slim so watch out for the post when I start moaning that my files are a mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it and remembered there were instructions as it isn't an "on camera" thing.
    For those interested:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...t=reset+folder

Thr probability of me keeping my cards segregated or reformatted is slim so watch out for the post when I start moaning that my files are a mess.
    I solved that problem by purchasing a second $5 sd card case and labeling it with a big 2 for body 2
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I solved that problem by purchasing a second $5 sd card case and labeling it with a big 2 for body 2
    Just what I didn't need....an excuse to visit B&H

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, but these are only $5....

Jack

fotografr

That's a wonderful lens FedEx brought you. I'll bet Leica feel the same way about FedEx, except they like to see them going away and we all like to see them coming to our doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just what I didn't need....an excuse to visit B&H
    There is trouble just thinking about going to B&H. Me I just wait for the UPS truck. If you looked at the orders I have done over all the years my bet it would be 10 pages of just the single order numbers. Now folks that's a s..t load of gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may be getting this lens when I go to Camera West in Carmel for the workshop. We are planning on something fun at there store when we are there.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the free SanDisk cases, which can hold 3 cards each, and clip them right onto the camera, left side. If we ever get SDHC support, that will make 12-24 GB of external storage onboard. More than one battery charge will fill.

scott