The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

doug

The local turkeys are telling me it's spring. R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt with shoulder stock, monopod & extension tube.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
first Rob's grashopper and now Doug's irresistible wooer turkey ...
apparently the DMR is the perfect camera for scary alien skin diseases :eek:
great tele photo, Doug

doug

Another new critter photo:

R8/DMR effective ISO 1600
560/6.8 w/ shoulder stock & monopod
1/125 sec @ f/6.8
cropped from horizontal

gogopix

Subscriber
so THAT's where all the eastern bluebirds went! (driven out by the $%^&^%european sparrow. well I guess we got back at them with the grey sqirrel!)

doug, did you 'push' this with one or two stops on exposure comp?

gogopix

Subscriber
I left the ISO at 400, underexposed by two stops.
yes, I noticed the noise was really not bad!

now, about that 1/125; you use the shoulder, monopod, maybe a few hundred pounds around your arms, cemented feet on the ground...
You are simply amazing in the 'stability'

Regards
Victor

doug

Doug:

What RAW program are you using. Though I don't use it often, I found the latest Flexcolor is very good with the higher ISO DMR shots.
I'm using Flexcolor, but to be honest I don't know if it's the latest version. I'll have to try a higher ISO.

robsteve

Subscriber
I'm using Flexcolor, but to be honest I don't know if it's the latest version. I'll have to try a higher ISO.
The latest Flexcolor is 4.8.4, but I think the improvements may have come in 4.8.1 or 4.8.3. All the latest revisions were just to support some of the new Hasselblad cameras and lenses.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Wonderful image Doug.
I get good results underexposing the DMR at ISO 400 but not so at ISO 800, but I am using C1. Have you had success underexposing at 800 and I wonder if using Flexcolor is the key? Rob?

cmb_

A shot from the Green River Overlook from the trip to Moab. R9/DMR + 80mm @f/8 handheld. This was after we went to Mesa Arch where it was a bitter cold morning.

robsteve

Subscriber
Wonderful image Doug.
I get good results underexposing the DMR at ISO 400 but not so at ISO 800, but I am using C1. Have you had success underexposing at 800 and I wonder if using Flexcolor is the key? Rob?
I don't ever use the underexposure trick. I have not been convinced it works or actually have tested it myself. I am not sure if some people are actually under exposing by two stops and getting really dark files or if they are just dialing in -2 for exposure compensation.

For just straight 800 and 1600 iso, Flexcolor seems to do the best jop if you play around with the noise reduction settings.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
I just ran a test in my backyard with the DMR, shooting with the 1600iso setting and then shooting at the 400iso setting at the same aperture and shutter speed. This meant the 400iso shot was underexposed two stops. Using Flexcolor, I moved the exposure slider two stops on the 400mm shot.

It looks like the underexposed 400iso shot does not have any more noise than the 1600iso shot, but the under exposure seems to loose some fine detail and the pushing in post more of the highlights clip. If you look at the crop into the slide, you can see that the surface of it is more over exposed in the 400iso shot than the 1600iso shot.

These are my test shots. I used a tripod and the shutter speed was 1/8000th of a second, so any detail difference can't be camera shake.

Here is the 1600iso shot.

Here is the 400iso underexposed two stops and pushed two stops in Flexcolor.

Crops showing the better detail in the 1600iso shot versus 400iso

1600iso:

400iso 2 stop push:

1600iso:

400iso 2 stop push:

Last edited:

cmb_

Rob, thanks for posting this. I will have to spend some time with Flexcolor.