The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Image Thread

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Show us what you've got. We can't let the M8 images dominate. I know that there are a lot of great DMR images out there.

The DMR may be old school, with most of the focus now on the M8. But, when I dig up some of my images taken with the DMR (before I sold my copy), I'm struck with just how impressive the DMR is/was to use.

When the R10 is introduced, here's hoping Leica is careful to duplicate the "look" that was achieved with the DMR.

Anyone want to trade a WATE and a little cash for their R9orR8/DMR? :D

Kurt

robmac

So that's what a red-breasted sap-sucker looks like...

For me R10 = flux of cheaper DMRs on mkt.. come on Leica.

PeterA

It will be a few weeks more before I can get up and about and use my recently bought ( thanks Woody) R9/DMR and lenses - here is a snap illustrating the pretty good macro capabilities of the 35-70f2.8

robsteve

Subscriber
It will be a few weeks more before I can get up and about and use my recently bought ( thanks Woody) R9/DMR and lenses - here is a snap illustrating the pretty good macro capabilities of the 35-70f2.8
The 35-70mm also seems to have the best Bokeh of the current line of R lenses, while still being extremely sharp.

I used the 35-70mm to take this picture of fall colours.

Last edited:

PSon

The 35-70mm also seems to have the best Bokeh of the current line of R lenses, while still being extremely sharp.

I used the 35-70mm to take this picture of fall colours.

Besides the bokeh I tested this lens against the Contax Zeiss 24-85 N and the vignetting is extremely low and the colors is stunning over the Zeiss version. In addition, the clarity of the lens is much more superior to the Zeiss N version. This is the only wide-normal angle zoom lens I like for colors and image IQ. The Zeiss C/Y mount 3.4/35-70 is also another good one but not in the same class as the Leica. I also had the chance to test the Leica 28-90 ROM and the IQ was not there for portrait applications.

Stuart Richardson

I also had the chance to test the Leica 28-90 ROM and the IQ was not there for portrait applications.
What makes you say that? I have never had any problems with the 28-90mm...in fact it is supposed to be at its best at the long end.
28-90

Anyway some others, mostly with the 28-90.

180apo elmarit

180apo elmarit

100apo

PSon

The Leica 28-90 zoom is a sharp lens. However, when compared with other lens such as the Leica 1.4/50 Summilux ROM at 50 mm the image quality is different. We prefer the Summilux portrait over the zoom. At 90 mm I did not compare it to the other lens at this focal length. However, the focus was very difficult to achieve and especially for indoor or poor light environment. If you get the chance you should do some portrait work it other lens and compare it to the 28-90 zoom. I have seen your images before and I love the image of the horse. I also see that you prefer to use the lens for landscape which should give you sharp image. But for portrait work it is not my choice.

Son

PeterA

Beautiful shots guys - Stuart the skin tones are perfect and the colours in the landscapes wonderful...cant wait to be well enough to be able to get back into it..

Stuart Richardson

Son -- I agree with you, the 50/1.4 ROM is a beautiful lens for portraits. I agree that there are better lenses than the 28-90 for portraits, I just don't think it is bad. You probably agree. I prefer medium format for portraits anyway...like you, I am a user of the Hasselblad 200 series and the Rollei 6000 series. In my opinion, it is impossible to beat the look of the 110/2 or the 180/2.8 Tele-Xenar with small format cameras. It's not the sharpness or resolution, but the interplay between the field of view of the lens and its depth of field characteristics.

Peter -- thanks for the compliments. I am sorry to hear you aren't well. I hope you heal soon so we can see some photos from Australia!

PSon

Son -- I agree with you, the 50/1.4 ROM is a beautiful lens for portraits. I agree that there are better lenses than the 28-90 for portraits, I just don't think it is bad. You probably agree. I prefer medium format for portraits anyway...like you, I am a user of the Hasselblad 200 series and the Rollei 6000 series. In my opinion, it is impossible to beat the look of the 110/2 or the 180/2.8 Tele-Xenar with small format cameras. It's not the sharpness or resolution, but the interplay between the field of view of the lens and its depth of field characteristics.

Peter -- thanks for the compliments. I am sorry to hear you aren't well. I hope you heal soon so we can see some photos from Australia!
Stuart,
The Leica Apo 28-90 ASPH is not a bad lens in fact it is very sharp and I found out recently that landscape photographers are interested in this lens for their works. Thus, I am not surprised at all that the great results from your works came from this lens.

Peter: hope the recovery is going well. I also told someone from FM who has the Leica Apo-Telyt-R 4.0/280 ROM about your search. If he has not been able contacted you let me know and I can facilitate the introduction.

Son