The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Will M8.2 shutter support 1/8000s shutter speed?

S

sclamb

I remember hearing somewhere that the trade-off for the quieter shutter in the M8.2 was that it could not be used at higher than 1/4000s. If that is not the case, would it be possible in a firmware fix to make the 'S' setting on the shutter speed dial set the speed to 1/8000s rather than the mode to Snapshot, or make it an option to choose either via a menu option?

Just a thought, and maybe a dumb one at that :)

Simon

cam

that is the case, though. if you want the quieter, smoother shutter (be it an M8.2 or an updated classic) -- you're stuck with 1/4000s.

a trade off, i might add, that i am looking very forward to getting one day.... i'd rather be able to hand hold fast lens longer when i really need the light than the novelty of shooting wide open in the middle of the day.

scott kirkpatrick

Water droplets in flight on a hot day levitate quite nicely at 1/4000:

and my kids don't move all that fast, so 1/500 is fine, but 1/3000 stops them cold:

I still have an M8 with an unmodified shutter, so perhaps I will have to go looking for mosquitoes in the roses on a bright day and see if I can get their wings to be still...

scott

S

sclamb

Good examples Scott of how 1/4000s can be enough. However, on a bright sunny day where I may want to use f/2 to selectively focus and isolate the subject I find I have to be at f/4 which is not what I want.

Admittedly, this is less likely than me using the lenses wide open in darker conditions, but still has been a problem of a few occasions.

Life is all about trade-offs I guess :D

Simon

S

sclamb

that is the case, though. if you want the quieter, smoother shutter (be it an M8.2 or an updated classic) -- you're stuck with 1/4000s.

a trade off, i might add, that i am looking very forward to getting one day.... i'd rather be able to hand hold fast lens longer when i really need the light than the novelty of shooting wide open in the middle of the day.
Yes, I agree :D

Simon

scott kirkpatrick

I understand exactly what you are saying, but I find I don't take that sort of picture, at least not outdoors. When it is a nice day, I want to see everything pretty much as it appears in my viewfinder, so I am usually working at f/5.6 for maximum sharpness, and I like the ASPH lenses for the way in which they do their best to crisp up the background details into a sort of sketch rather than a creamy blur. But others disagree with this, and they probably will have two-stop ND filters in their kit to help out. Yes, sometimes the busy background makes a picture unappealing, but then you are supposed to move the camera to a new point of view, and I try to do that.

scott

Paratom

I very much prefer the silent shutter. Own both M8 and M8.2 and fast lenses as well and havent had 1 situation where I had to take the M8 because of the 1/8000.
So my suggestion guys: Post some 1/8000 160ISO images and show us what M8.2 owners will miss.
I guess I could switch to f2.8 when I have to shoot the white dress at 1pm in strong sund at the beach. Doesnt happen often IMO.

stevem8

Well, I sold my M8 and bought the M8.2 and have had 1 occasion where I would of used 1/8000th in the past few days, but I just stopped down a bit and the resulting image was still fantastic. Maybe Leica can add ISO 80 in a firmware (saw this in another post) update? This would allow the use of F1.4 or F2 in brighter light. But I am 100% happy with the M8.2 and would not go back. The new shutter is just amazing when compared to the old one.

cam

i think even getting up to 1/4000s thrilled me to be bits after being limited by the Epson, so 1/8000s seemed to be a bit like being on mars. i've used it, mind you, when futzing around with lenses and perfecting (or testing) lenses wide open, but it's really rare.... guess it doesn't faze me because i went out and got ND filters pretty cheaply because of the R-D1 and the M2 -- a quick and dirty solution in the meanwhile.

if anyone wants to trade their quiet shutter for 1/8000th, i'm game! :p