The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More M9 rumours

jonoslack

Hi there
M9 rumour on photo.net
Silly stuff perhaps.
But I heard the same story from a big UK leica dealer, spoken with quite as much conviction . . . I refer back to my other post about the fact that they certainly wouldn't be advertising the fact right now.

So, when you rubbish this rumour, please file it away for further recall, just in case it's right!

Eoin

I believe you Jono.:talk028:

Others may scoff but I'm sure it's a natural step forward for the M system. However, unless there is a radical overhaul of the rangefinder focusing which makes it useable for me with my poor eyesight, I doubt I'd be interested.

Come to think of it, at the price quoted AU$ 15000 or 8500 euro and the current price of Leica glass, it's gotten a little too ritch for me.

Lars

Leica can't ship an M body at that price level. If its technology lifespan is anything like the M8 it will be hopelessly out of date after three years, no matter the build quality. Glass and film bodies could arguably be seen as more of a long term investment but a digital body has to be written off at a fairly aggressive pace.

fotografz

Leica can't ship an M body at that price level. If its technology lifespan is anything like the M8 it will be hopelessly out of date after three years, no matter the build quality. Glass and film bodies could arguably be seen as more of a long term investment but a digital body has to be written off at a fairly aggressive pace.
That's true if you buy into all the marketing hype fed to the mass migrating Lemmings salivating for the next nano advancement that slashes prices of current gear while upping the ante for the next best thing that makes you an inferior photographer for not having. :D

Stuff goes out of date because they brain washed people into believing they will be a better photographer with their latest greatest. Granted, some advancements can help you get somewhere depending on intent and application ... but most folks buy without knowing where they are going or why.

I'd say my only true error in all this is not taking advantage of it because I'm idiotically impatient ... which is an expensive character flaw in today's photographic world. If I had just kept shooting my M7s and waited I could be using a M8 for 50% of what I paid initially. The one today is just as good as one from 2 years ago. IMO, $2,500. is more in line with what the camera is worth.

Terry

That's true if you buy into all the marketing hype fed to the mass migrating Lemmings salivating for the next nano advancement that slashes prices of current gear while upping the ante for the next best thing that makes you an inferior photographer for not having. :D

Stuff goes out of date because they brain washed people into believing they will be a better photographer with their latest greatest. Granted, some advancements can help you get somewhere depending on intent and application ... but most folks buy without knowing where they are going or why.
Hence all my angst in thinking about switching from Nikon to Sony.....:eek:

jonoslack

Absolutely Terry, but have hope, I'm the worst of the bad, and after nine months with the A900, I still don't have anything in my sights as a replacement. It's hard to see quite what would tempt me away (sounds like famous last words doesn't it!).

fotografz

Depends on what your applications are doesn't it?

For me, the A900 was a replacement for the Leica DMR, and a slew of Zeiss ZF lenses I used on the Nikons. It wasn't a replacement for the Nikons which I still use when high ISO and super speed is required.

The applications drove that ... where better technology actually fit the need better ... in the case of both the DMR and Zeiss ZFs that it replaced, it was he Sony's high IQ ZA optics that are Auto Focus AND image stabilized in camera ... which I can use for a majority of my work.

Lars

Stuff goes out of date because they brain washed people into believing they will be a better photographer with their latest greatest.
That would apply to the M8 if it was a good camera when it arrived. It wasn't, Leica screwed up on a number of issues that only Leicaphiles are in denial over, if it wasn't for the glass the M8 wouldn't last more than six months on the marketplace. Just try the exercise of imagining the same body at the same price point with a Canon or Nikon label and corresponding bayonet, it would have been a total embarrassment.

As it stands there is room for improvement, which is why the tech lifespan of M8 is limited. Compare to M6, or M7 which will likely hold its value well over time.

fotografz

That would apply to the M8 if it was a good camera when it arrived. It wasn't, Leica screwed up on a number of issues that only Leicaphiles are in denial over, if it wasn't for the glass the M8 wouldn't last more than six months on the marketplace. Just try the exercise of imagining the same body at the same price point with a Canon or Nikon label and corresponding bayonet, it would have been a total embarrassment.

As it stands there is room for improvement, which is why the tech lifespan of M8 is limited. Compare to M6, or M7 which will likely hold its value well over time.
Again, I see that as market hype and internet mob mentality ... which I frankly participated in :ROTFL:

Of course there is room for improvement. But it isn't here. And at what price when it is?

But now having lived with the camera and seen what others have done with it (like my pal Irakly) ... I'm content with it for the work applications I use a rangefinder for. I do agree that if it was a rangefinder with average or less than average optics it would be a goose egg. But it isn't. I also don't agree with the camera label thing. The Epson proved that.

To each his or her own.

Terry

Depends on what your applications are doesn't it?

For me, the A900 was a replacement for the Leica DMR, and a slew of Zeiss ZF lenses I used on the Nikons. It wasn't a replacement for the Nikons which I still use when high ISO and super speed is required.

The applications drove that ... where better technology actually fit the need better ... in the case of both the DMR and Zeiss ZFs that it replaced, it was he Sony's high IQ ZA optics that are Auto Focus AND image stabilized in camera ... which I can use for a majority of my work.
Precisely,
But I am an amateur so I could live with the D700 for a long time. I am not regretting the purchase of the A900 because there are a lot of things that I like about it. However, I have been rationalizing away (to myself) giving up the high ISO of the D700 which is nice to have. That being said going from multiple choice in great lenses for a given focal length on the M8, that was my biggest disappointment in buying lenses for Nikon.

stevem8

I have heard the same things about a future M9 over a month ago. M9, FF, end of year, 14-16MP, better, but not crazy better high ISO. Only time will tell what is fact and what is fiction. BUT, if they do release this camera at the end of the year, or announce it I should say, then I CAN see them asking $8k US for it as the M8.2 is already at $6k. I also think it this M9 is released, the M8.2 will still be offered much like the D300/D700 is today. Just my opinions of course.

At $8k it steps in to D3x territory and it is a Leica which has always been priced much higher than a Nikon or Canon. Will it be as versatile as a D3x? Hell no! Will it provide amazing quality as the M8 does? You bet it will. So to those Leica fans with the funds, they will buy it (counts me out). Again, that is, IF this M9 stuff is all true.

As for the S2...it will be one amazing camera BUT the cost will keep it out of the hands of many talented shooters IMO. I'd love to see some Jono landscapes with that camera!

Also, I have been eyeballing all of these great A900 images you guys have been taking and I must say, it looks like a killer DSLR. Terry, I love your A900 images and that 135 1.8 looks amazing!

cam

and here i am still getting my head around the original M8. i always seem to be a generation or two behind, sigh.... not that i'm unhappy, though i do wish i'd jumped on the offer to have the framelines and shutter upgraded at the older price some sweet soul offered me as i really would have liked that. at today's prices, it's likely i won't unless the camera breaks and i need to service it (since i have no warranty).

as for high ISO performance, i am eagerly awaiting the return of my Epson. whatever the reason, it is still much more pleasing to my eye in that regard, not to mention the ease of manual control on the top.

DSLR's are much trickier. we have discussed getting a D700 in the household as we have a lot of manual Nikon lenses and love the low light capabilities, but the A900 images make us drool.... don't think we'll be making any decision soon.

i've learned to call Kevin for shots that i know are hopeless on the rangefinder, even with my lovely glass.... and to be very content with what i have, older bodies or no.

although the grass is always greener, i consider myself blessed to have what i have, outdated though it may be. my goal is to be able to live up to the camera and show what is possible with it in the hands of a lunatic who cares more about the moment than technical perfection :p

stevem8

although the grass is always greener, i consider myself blessed to have what i have, outdated though it may be. my goal is to be able to live up to the camera and show what is possible with it in the hands of a lunatic who cares more about the moment than technical perfection :p
AMEN!

jonoslack

Hi Cam
there's nothing lunatic about that - I'm afraid that my gadget freakery is in direct conflict with my photographic accomplishments. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have one camera and one lens and just take pictures!