The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More M9 rumours

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have one camera and one lens and just take pictures!
But then what do you use to snap an image of that one camera and one lens when someone here has a question and you need an image of it for illustrative purposes? Certainly not your cellphone!

cam

Hi Cam
there's nothing lunatic about that - I'm afraid that my gadget freakery is in direct conflict with my photographic accomplishments. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have one camera and one lens and just take pictures!
not saying there's anything lunatic about it -- was just saying that I am a lunatic :p

and, despite my nice assortment of lenses, i do often go out with one camera, one lens -- as i find it much easier to get the feel that way (i am hoping my 35 Lux Asph will be that lens). the only time i go to other lenses is when i know i will be out after dark (Nocti) or want to play with portraiture or shooting at a cafe (75 Lux). there is a certain luxury in simplicity.

i seriously doubt i will ever be one to lug a lot of lenses around -- it's just not my style (not that there's anything wrong with that). i'm just a fixed kind of gal, who finds zooms and multiple focal lengths confusing and confining rather than expressive. i like to use my legs instead, running into difficulty only with the closest focusing available (hence my longer lenses) and sometimes in the metro (backing up without looking is not a smart thing to do there :eek: ).

it's kind of freeing, and i heartedly recommend the one camera, one lens exercise to gadget freaks such as yourself -- even if it's only for a day. i think it makes you appreciate what you have so much more! then again, i might just be full of bollocks....

Robert Campbell

But then what do you use to snap an image of that one camera and one lens when someone here has a question and you need an image of it for illustrative purposes? Certainly not your cellphone!
Certainly not my mobile -- it doesn't have a camera :(

jonoslack

it's kind of freeing, and i heartedly recommend the one camera, one lens exercise to gadget freaks such as yourself -- even if it's only for a day. i think it makes you appreciate what you have so much more! then again, i might just be full of bollocks....
HI Cam
Actually, I do it lots of the time - I don't like lugging stuff around, so I'll stick one lens on the camera, put it over my shoulder and bugger off. I do like zooms on slr's though - but they do need to be decent zooms!

When I'm out taking photos my gadget freakery disappears in an instant (no special straps/waistcoats/tripods/accessories - although I am partial to a nice bag).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
not saying there's anything lunatic about it -- was just saying that I am a lunatic

Na just artistic expressionist. Sounds better:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Anders_HK

I have heard the same things about a future M9 over a month ago. M9, FF, end of year, 14-16MP, better, but not crazy better high ISO.
It is interesting to note that the S2, P65+ and D3X share a pixel density of about 166.6 pixels/mm. Thus...

1) 16.6MP @ 20x30mm

2) 24MP @ 24x36mm

If 14-16 would be real, perhaps not FF and why such incremental increase that hardly makes difference?? On other hand... if Leica did solve the issue of FF on RF, then... 2) would be interesting in the market, would it not?

I have no idea whatsoever what they are up to though...

Regards
Anders

fotografz

not saying there's anything lunatic about it -- was just saying that I am a lunatic :p

and, despite my nice assortment of lenses, i do often go out with one camera, one lens -- as i find it much easier to get the feel that way (i am hoping my 35 Lux Asph will be that lens). the only time i go to other lenses is when i know i will be out after dark (Nocti) or want to play with portraiture or shooting at a cafe (75 Lux). there is a certain luxury in simplicity.

i seriously doubt i will ever be one to lug a lot of lenses around -- it's just not my style (not that there's anything wrong with that). i'm just a fixed kind of gal, who finds zooms and multiple focal lengths confusing and confining rather than expressive. i like to use my legs instead, running into difficulty only with the closest focusing available (hence my longer lenses) and sometimes in the metro (backing up without looking is not a smart thing to do there :eek: ).

its kind of freeing, and i heartedly recommend the one camera, one lens exercise to gadget freaks such as yourself -- even if it's only for a day. i think it makes you appreciate what you have so much more! then again, i might just be full of bollocks....
Hmmm, a day in deprivation Hell ... no thanks. Maybe a few minutes with one camera/one lens as long as there is a bag of lenses somewhere close in case of withdrawal ... you know, the shakes and double vision and all that ... symptoms that aren't conducive to photography.

What's "Freeing" is to have ALL of EVERYTHING ever made worth having. Then you don't have to think about the next thing you may want. Totally liberating ... I highly recommend it.

:ROTFL::thumbup::eek::bugeyes::ROTFL::thumbs::D:)

woodyspedden

I can't tell you how much money I have spent trying to find the "ideal" camera for my work.

What I can tell you is that after three years of using everything from MF Film (Mamiya 7II and lenses) to old Leica M3, to modern MFDB (Hassy H3D) and modern M (M8's) and of course my Nikon kit which goes from an F5 and F100 to the D3 and D3X I have drawn my own conclusions:

I could not live without my M8's and lenses for both IQ and the fact that it is the ultimate travel system. Just no question for me.

I could (now) not live without my D3X for those landscape shots that need to be printed big. I have shot many many comparisons to my Hassy H3D and while the D3X is not quite up to the subtle tonalites of the H3 and of course you can natively print larger with the H3, all of the advantages from High ISO to high shutter speeds and makro lenses and long telephotos, you just can't beat the D3X.

I am sure i could say the same things about the A900 if I ever had used one but I wasn't up to losing all the money on my Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses to get to a whole new system. It was cheaper to spend the extra money for the D3X body compared to the A900 for me.

Plus, at 72 years old I must get the weight of my system down to something I can carry into the canyons and hills of the Southwest where I do most of my shooting. If I were shooting from within a few hundred yards of my car I would be more tempted by my H3D. But going a mile or two into canyon country and up and down hills I simply can't do it. So no matter the other advantages that is a killer for me.

My ideal camera would be a higher ISO 16 Mpx M body to use with all the wonderful M lenses I own. Then I could take a tripod on one shoulder and the kit bag of M stuff on the other and traipse through the canyons til my heart's content. I would pay $8K for that privilege just because I would do more shooting as a consequence.

JMHO

Woody

gero

I could (now) not live without my D3X for those landscape shots that need to be printed big. I have shot many many comparisons to my Hassy H3D and while the D3X is not quite up to the subtle tonalites of the H3 and of course you can natively print larger with the H3, all of the advantages from High ISO to high shutter speeds and makro lenses and long telephotos, you just can't beat the D3X.

Woody
this is interesting

My ideal camera would be a higher ISO 16 Mpx M body to use with all the wonderful M lenses I own.
Woody
why not 24mp like Andres sais?:rolleyes: and FF

Last edited:

woodyspedden

this is interesting

why not 24mp like Andres sais?:rolleyes: and FF
I would certainly have no problem with either. When I quoted 16Mpx on a cropped format camera I was looking at something I felt would not be a real technical challenge for Leica

Woody

jonoslack

Well, If it's coming, then what I've heard is that the firmware will be basically the same as the S2 and R10, and that it will be full frame - As Anders points out, that makes it pretty much certain that it'll be 24mp, rather than 16 or 18.

georgl

It will have as much hardware from the S2 as possible, that's for sure. The Maestro DSP, basic firmware and propably control concept (display with four buttons).
Two things are crucial:

- The angular response of a larger sensor
- The thin cover glass with IR-filtering

http://www.dalsa.com/public/corp/PDFs/DALSA_IEDM_2008_proceedings_final.pdf

The third page shows a graph of the angular response, it's similar to the previous generation of CCDs without microlenses, which worked fine with real WA (Rodenstock HR/Digitars), so it should also work with M-lenses?

With todays high fill-rate it doesn't seem to matter as much anymore how many megaxpixels are sitting on a sensor, as long as the sum of light-sensitive area (= sensor size) remains the same. A 24MP-sensor will have more noise-per-pixel, but noise-perception will be similar to a 12MP-sensor, given the same resolution in the print.

What I'm really hoping for is some kind of live-view, even a B/W-version (like in some MFDBs) would be fine, it makes tripod work with precise framing much easier with a rangefinder!

jonoslack

- The angular response of a larger sensor
- The thin cover glass with IR-filtering
HI There
I understood that with the new Kodak sensors the IR filtering was in the micro lenses (which would be necessary on an M camera with the changing angle of incidence).

N

nei1

a mirror

is there a prize? no? what nothing?:cussing:

Last edited:

fotografz

None of my usual sources can confirm anything of the sort. Not even hearing rumors or hints of a new M digital.

If it comes ... great. If not, just keep shooting what you have.

Investments in glass are a solid M strategy ... the optical hits just keep coming. Actually, I'm more interested in what may be next in the M lens department.

Some more M8 firmware improvements would also be welcome. Many of my other digital cameras have visibly improved higher ISO performance without altering existing hardware ... why not the Leica M8?

I'd be a very happy camper if ISO 1250 could be made more useable. Or even split the difference @ ISO 800 or 1000. :thumbup:

Constantly looking to "what might be" is irritating, :angry: I'd prefer they improve what I already paid an arm & leg for ... so I can make better use of it, and the King's ransom in lenses I've invested in.

-Marc

jonoslack

Constantly looking to "what might be" is irritating, :angry: I'd prefer they improve what I already paid an arm & leg for ... so I can make better use of it, and the King's ransom in lenses I've invested in.

-Marc
HI Marc
I quite agree -
I'm sure you have better contacts than I,
perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread :cry:

Last edited:

charlesphoto

I heard this morning from my dealer that a future (6 months to a year) full frame M is a pretty sure bet and that it will come in priced around the same as the current M8.2. Nice thing to know as there is no way I would like to get saddled with a $6K 21mm (or even 24) lens when my 28 cron and 35 Lux ASPH will really what I'll want to use.

So start saving your $ and Pounds. I know for me, a full frame M will be game over.

R

Ranger 9

No, no, no, you guys are getting the wrong take on this. Here's the real info, leaked by an authoritative Leica headquarters employee who had underestimated the effects of American bourbon:

-- Capitalizing on the huge activity and interest in participating in Internet photo forums, Leica is taking the next logical step into the "digital age" by ceasing the complex and expensive production of actual cameras, and instead specializing in the manufacture of camera rumours.

-- Beginning this fall, every Leica customer will be able to purchase his or her own exclusive rumour, crafted with all the quality and precision you have come to expect from the Leica brand name. Your rumour will include a full package of highly engineered components including factory leaks, dealer gossip, blurry spy photos, mysterious sketches, patent filings and provocative listings of possible specifications... all the finely finished details that will bring you prestige and authority when you post them on photo forums.

-- Customers demanding an even more individualised and distinctive rumour will be able to utilise Leica's "A La Carte" program to have their rumours customized with their choice of finishes and materials.

-- Your Leica rumour will be fully covered by the Passport Protection Plan; if it becomes discredited, disparaged or otherwise broken within three years of purchase, it will be replaced with a new rumour at no additional charge.

-- The Research and Development division already is working on future technological enhancements such as distribution of rumour components via Twitter feeds and high-definition online video, but no delivery date for these or other improvements has been proposed.

Clearly this new direction for photography's most respected name will be a great benefit to Leica and its customers alike.

Leica will improve its financial position through elimination of the expense and bother of buying raw materials, tooling, etc.; and cleanliness of facilities will be increased by removal of messy metalworking and painting operations.

Also, the move eliminates the need to hire and train replacement workers for the Leica employees who actually are involved in camera production (Jurgen, Hans, Frieda, Kurt, Liesl, and that Polish guy in the back that nobody talks to) all of whom are scheduled to retire within the next three years.

Customers will benefit by enjoying an exciting new product offering which will align more closely with camera users' interests, allowing them to spend even more time posting on photo forums while spending less time on tedious activities such as photography. Research has shown that photography is declining sharply in popularity among camera owners because it carries the risks of getting their lenses dirty and of coming into contact with dangerous and unpleasant phenomena such as wildlife, inclement weather conditions, and persons of lower socioeconomic standing.

Other industry rumours suggest that Canon, Nikon, Pentax et al have already picked up hints of Leica's plans and have launched their own crash R&D programs aimed at phasing out camera manufacture and concentrating fully on rumour production. So once again, Leica is leading the camera industry as it did almost 80 years ago!