Site Sponsors

Thread: Need Advice - M6 & M8, R6.2 & ? DSLR

Brendan1952

Need Advice - M6 & M8, R6.2 & ? DSLR

Hi All,

I have been lurking around here for a while and I am impressed with the assistance shown to new members, not all photography sites are as welcoming.

I need some advice, having decided that Digital is probably here to stay I need to work out what DSLR would best suit my photography.

I shoot mainly landscapes and urban scenes, I moved back to range-finders a few years ago when I became disillusioned with AF & SLR's, I also have and love a couple of R6's and a selection of wide R lenses. I also occasionally use MF & LF gear, all purely for my own pleasure. I would describe myself as a dedicated hobbyist - a bit obsessed with good glass!

I love my M6 and recently decided to get an M8, this started me thinking about what DSLR would compliment the R6's. My criteria is that I would prefer,
    - full frame sensor to allow me to use my wide R lenses
    - mount the R lenses via an adaptor rather than any conversion of the mount (I still shoot film if the location is one that I will not be able to revisit)
    - Must have an optical viewfinder - I wear glasses and find electronic viewfinders just too difficult to use
    - Would like to be able to swap screens
    - Weatherproof if possible
    - The lighter the better - I stopped using my Mamiya RZ67 because it was too heavy to schlep around the bush!

I have a budget of around $2000 and will go for something in good used condition. I was thinking of a Canon 5D but in several threads here I saw mention of clearance issues with the wider R lenses and the Canon mirror.

So, what do you use, or suggest?

Regards

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Need Advice - M6 & M8, R6.2 & ? DSLR

Two options I would say.
    1. The best imo - get an DMR (but it is 1.3, not very important imo)
    2. Get any Canon EOS and an adapter.

That about exhausts the possibilities, apart from getting all your R lenses converted to a Nikon mount.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For full frame, what jaapv said. There is no other option besides a full-frame Canon, or adapting lenses to Nikon and using a D700 or D3. To avoid mirror issues, perhaps a Canon with a smaller sensor, but then you lose the wide angle anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Full frame Canon -- 5D or 5DII -- is the obvious solution.

Somewhere I saw a list of 'compatible' Leica R lenses -- ones that don't interfere with the mirror.

Alternatively, it is possible to get the mirror 'shaved' to prevent contact.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think to remember that somebody either here or on luminous landscape offered a 5d with shaved mirror.
    However I think I would rather go for series 1. Just because I like the build and feel better. Maybe a 1DS(2?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan1952 View Post
    ...I was thinking of a Canon 5D but in several threads here I saw mention of clearance issues with the wider R lenses and the Canon mirror...
    Depends on wides. No problem with 19/2.8 # 11225, 21/4, 28/2.8 # 11204, or 28/2.8 # 11259 as far as my late (2008) 5D is concerned.
    See http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html