The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need Advice - M6 & M8, R6.2 & ? DSLR

B

Brendan1952

Hi All,

I have been lurking around here for a while and I am impressed with the assistance shown to new members, not all photography sites are as welcoming.

I need some advice, having decided that Digital is probably here to stay I need to work out what DSLR would best suit my photography. :D

I shoot mainly landscapes and urban scenes, I moved back to range-finders a few years ago when I became disillusioned with AF & SLR's, I also have and love a couple of R6's and a selection of wide R lenses. I also occasionally use MF & LF gear, all purely for my own pleasure. I would describe myself as a dedicated hobbyist - a bit obsessed with good glass!

I love my M6 and recently decided to get an M8, this started me thinking about what DSLR would compliment the R6's. My criteria is that I would prefer,
- full frame sensor to allow me to use my wide R lenses
- mount the R lenses via an adaptor rather than any conversion of the mount (I still shoot film if the location is one that I will not be able to revisit)
- Must have an optical viewfinder - I wear glasses and find electronic viewfinders just too difficult to use
- Would like to be able to swap screens
- Weatherproof if possible
- The lighter the better - I stopped using my Mamiya RZ67 because it was too heavy to schlep around the bush!

I have a budget of around $2000 and will go for something in good used condition. I was thinking of a Canon 5D but in several threads here I saw mention of clearance issues with the wider R lenses and the Canon mirror.

So, what do you use, or suggest?

Regards

Brendan

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Two options I would say.
1. The best imo - get an DMR (but it is 1.3, not very important imo)
2. Get any Canon EOS and an adapter.

That about exhausts the possibilities, apart from getting all your R lenses converted to a Nikon mount.:lecture:

monza

For full frame, what jaapv said. There is no other option besides a full-frame Canon, or adapting lenses to Nikon and using a D700 or D3. To avoid mirror issues, perhaps a Canon with a smaller sensor, but then you lose the wide angle anyway...

Robert Campbell

Full frame Canon -- 5D or 5DII -- is the obvious solution.

Somewhere I saw a list of 'compatible' Leica R lenses -- ones that don't interfere with the mirror.

Alternatively, it is possible to get the mirror 'shaved' to prevent contact.

Paratom

I think to remember that somebody either here or on luminous landscape offered a 5d with shaved mirror.
However I think I would rather go for series 1. Just because I like the build and feel better. Maybe a 1DS(2?).