The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Elmarit-R 19mm 1st generation?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I'm hunting for a ultra wide for the SL2 and my FF Canon gear.

I considering the 1st generation Elmarit-R 19mm. The second gen is out of my budget.

What kind of lens is it? Puts rather liked it.

I think it will fit on the Canon under the 21 Distagon C/Y and over the EF 16mm MkII.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I had this lens and used it originally on film and then on a 5D. No problems with mirror clearance or infinity focus. It has some wave distortion not unlike the 21 c/y which I never noticed until I shot a large wall mural. I think the color and contrast is traditional Leica and it renders beautifully . It is no match for the 21 c/y for sheer resolution but for my use it was excellent.

Since you will be using film ..I would favor this lens with Kodachrome as the color is traditional ..for B&W not sure I wouldn t use the 21 c/y.

It is pretty close to the 21 in FOV . I sold my 19 last year for about $850 in mint-.

It does handle and balance extremely well on the 5d. I paired it with a 35 summicron .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You have me there ..I have never heard of a cy to R adapter..it doesn t seem reasonable . The Cy adapters are thinner than the R adapters when used on a Canon body. Plus unless you have a 21 cy ..it will be pricy compared to the 1st generation 19/2.8 . You also have to be careful with the SL2 as it will not take every R lens..can t remember if this is just related to the cams . Pretty sure the 1st 19mm is OK.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
You have me there ..I have never heard of a cy to R adapter..it doesn t seem reasonable . The Cy adapters are thinner than the R adapters when used on a Canon body. Plus unless you have a 21 cy ..it will be pricy compared to the 1st generation 19/2.8 . You also have to be careful with the SL2 as it will not take every R lens..can t remember if this is just related to the cams . Pretty sure the 1st 19mm is OK.
I have a lovely Contax C/Y Distagon I use on my 5D. It was more than pricy but the images sometimes take your breath away.

But you are right. I ran the numbers. R film to flange distance 47mm's. Contax film to flange 45.5mm's. It's a no go but was an interesting idea.

Leica 77

I'm hunting for a ultra wide for the SL2 and my FF Canon gear.

I considering the 1st generation Elmarit-R 19mm. The second gen is out of my budget.

What kind of lens is it? Puts rather liked it.

I think it will fit on the Canon under the 21 Distagon C/Y and over the EF 16mm MkII.
Hello johnastovall,
I have been using a Leica Elmarit-R 19mm lens mounted on my Nikon D300 using a Leitax adapter. It is an older version of the lens. It produces amazing sharpness and beautiful colors. I am quite pleased with the lens. Please see an example (posted previously elsewhere) below:

Best regards! :)

G

gmanp

gero
The 21 SA R lens works fine on my R8 bodies, so it should be ok on the R9.
My 21 is a 3 cam, and it also works on my SL.
A ROM lens would also work on the R9, of course.
have fun
gmanp

zonevt

I had the first version for a couple of years which was in ruff shape but as described by others color was good and it worked best stopped down to F8. Wide open it was very soft.....this could of been my lens problem as it had wear at the edges of the rear glass element. I sold it last year and bought a newer ROM version with modest wear which works well even at wide open aperatures. You can find this version used for as low as $1200 with wear but optically good. I like the newer version design.

John Black

Regarding the 21mm F4 Super Angulon; I'd avoid that lens on a Canon body because the distortion is strong, especially towards the edges and corners. Corner sharpness wasn't all that great either. It's a nice lens, well built, etc., but just not a great performer (IMO).

Leica 77

Regarding the 21mm F4 Super Angulon; I'd avoid that lens on a Canon body because the distortion is strong, especially towards the edges and corners. Corner sharpness wasn't all that great either. It's a nice lens, well built, etc., but just not a great performer (IMO).
Hello John,
I used to own a Super Angulon 21mm R lens. It produced nice and deeply saturated colors. As you say, it is very well built. However, I decided to sell it and bought an Elmarit-R 19mm lens. I am quite pleased with my 19mm lens (older version). Best regards, Leica 77 :)