The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R moderate telephotos

bensonga

I'm looking to add a moderate telephoto to my growing Leica R system. Something used, EX+ condition in the $500-$1,500 range. Three lenses I'm thinking about:

135mm Elmarit (latest version I can find...this is probably the least expensive option)
180mm Elmarit (doubt I can find an APO for under $1,500)
Vario-Elmar 80-200 f4 (I've found one in excellent condition, latest version)

Any thoughts/experience appreciated!

Gary
Alaska

lmr

Gary:

Wow, Alaska. Hard to recommend unless we know what you like shooting. Since you are in Alaska... I would think you need a f2.8. The 180 and 135 are good. I have them both, but I use the 180 more. The 180 APO Telyt f3.4 may be something you are looking for, under $1K. Some complain about close focus with the Telyt, but for Max focus, it is sharp. I am thinking of getting one. I have the 80-200 f4. Great lens got the outdoors and give you a great range. It si hard to pick any since they are great on their own.

Hope this help & not to confusing.
Robert.

bensonga

Just looking for a general purpose telephoto.....nothing special re use (not for birding, wildlife photography etc, which would obviously require longer FL).

I suppose what I was really wondering is....are there any clunkers in this bunch to avoid? I have Erwin Puts Leica Lens Compenium and see that generally, he doesn't consider the 135mm lenses to be real standout performers.....but I'm wondering "as compared to what?". Maybe that so-so Leica 135mm is actually quite good as compared with the Canon and Nikon glass I've been using for many years. I actually like the 135mm focal length and these are pretty good bargains, as Leica glass goes. The Vario-Elmar 80-200 f4 sounds very good from Puts' comments (except at the 200mm FL).

Always helps to hear folks real world experience and observations.

Gary
Alaska

gero

I like the 135 very much and it is a bargain; just buy and use. I am sure you will like it.

vieri

Hey Gary,

I have and love the 180mm f2.8 - I just converted it for Nikon F, and posted a thread about it here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7928

You cannot go wrong with it, and it's not very expensive either. By the way, it easily outperforms my Nikkor 180 f2.8 (which is a great lens in its own right, btw).

Hope this helps!

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Gray:

The 135 Elmarit-R would be a good choice for a general purpose telephoto. It has a very smooth rendition, not as sharp as the 135/3.4 Apo-Telyt-M, but very pleasing color signature. To me, 135 FL is a bit limiting for SLR telephoto lens.

The 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt is another amazing lens, especially at infinity. One word of caution is that the close focus distance is 2.5m on the lens, which is too long, IMHO.

The 80-200 zoom is a good travel lens, compact with excellent optics throughout the range. At 200mm, it is not as good as the 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt. I find that f4 is too slow at times.

I have used these three lenses for many years and I still keep the 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt today. I don't think you will go wrong with any one of these. Perhaps, your FL preference will dictation your selection.

Kind regards,

bensonga

Thanks for the feedback everyone....exactly what I was hoping to get. I had found a really nice Vario-Elmar 80-200/4 ROM and I think I'll go with that for now. Then I can keep my eyes open for a nice 135 and 180 later. If you happen to come across really clean copies of these for sale somewhere, let me know!

Thanks again.

Gary
Alaska

lmr

Gary... R Lens... hard to find a clunker... :) Anyway two shots 135, 180 and 80-200/Apo 2X Converter... All wide open.

Fuji 400 film... Fuji Frontier Scan by Lab. The 200 is a bit grainy due to scan.

Last edited:

doug

As a general-purpose lens I'd probably pick the 80-200 f/4 or late 180 f/2.8 over the 135. The 135 is a good lens but it's also very heavy and the minimum focus distance is rather limiting.

bensonga

I ordered a Vario-Elmar 80-200/4 ROM from KEH last night. Should arrive here on Wednesday. :))

Thanks again everyone!

Gary
Alaska

Michiel Schierbeek

I like the 135 very much and it is a bargain; just buy and use. I am sure you will like it.
Yes, I agree! Bought this lens for only € 150,-- I am very content with it.
Here is an example. Both with Olympus E-3.

And one with the Leica 180mm APO Telyt 3.4 Love this lens for pictures with a lot of DOF.

Kind regards, Michiel​

F

fytten50

How does the 80-200 mm compare to the 70-180 mm APO elmarit? I know the APO elmarit weighs almost the double :eek: of the 80-200, but not considering this and not considering the difference in price, which one would you choose?
Fytten50

bensonga

Terrific photos Michiel....I love industrial and port environments. I wish there was more of that here in Alaska. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for a 135mm Elmarit.

Gary
Alaska

bensonga

.......I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for a 135mm Elmarit.
Gary
Alaska
I didn't think a 135mm Elmarit would be so hard to find.....still looking. KEH, Camera West, B&H....those are my usual sources.

For something a bit longer....what do folks think of the 250 f4 Telyt?

Gary

carstenw

The 135 Elmarit is almost always cheap, but a great little lens. I loved mine, while I had it.

Avoid the first version of the 180 Elmarit, and get the second version, or the APO-Telyt 180/3,4. I have a copy of the second version, and it is very good. The APO-Telyt is even sharper at infinity, as it was designed for the coastal guard or something like that, but closer up I don't think there is much difference.

The APO-180 kills them all, so if you are patient enough to save up for it, that would be the lens to get.

M

mariuccio

Yes, I agree! Bought this lens for only € 150,-- I am very content with it.
Here is an example. Both with Olympus E-3.

And one with the Leica 180mm APO Telyt 3.4 Love this lens for pictures with a lot of DOF.

Kind regards, Michiel​

Michiel,
the first example isn't Oly E-3 but Pana G1 (by Exif data...) :)

doug

....what do folks think of the 250 f4 Telyt?
When I was looking for lenses near this focal length I didn't consider the early version of the 250mm Telyt-R because of its weight, longer minimum focus distance and non-rotating tripod mount. The late 250 is lighter, more compact, has a good rotating tripod mount and a much improved close-focus limit.

Optically the late 250 is OK but nothing to get excited about. Central resolution is good, but toward the edges lateral chromatic abberation becomes visible. Flare is very well controlled, color quality is good, bokeh can tend to be a little harsh.

A sample photo:

In making this photo I took advantage of the close minimum focus distance and the rotating tripod mount. It's unlikely I'd have gotten this picture with the older lens.