The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying a mint M8 - wise?

drazin

can someone please tell me what IR/CUT filters to buy for a new (to me M8)? will only leica ones work or do the B+W ones do fine? i am not doing any IR work, just looking to avoid any of the IR issues i read about.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I find even for b&w the cut filter improves image quality... Buy one and use the filters...

Oh, don't waste time with in camera b&w do it in post...

Chris C

I'd say be wary of how we interchange the M8 [original], M8 upgrade, and M8.2 in discussions and recommendations - be clear in your own mind their differences and your needs.

I have an original M8, I can't afford to upgrade it [as much as I would love to], and think of it as Leica's partial cock-up - an M8-lite. The close distant frame-line settings, absurdly noisy un-Leica like shutter sound, and it's crappy shutter release feel [despite a waste of time holiday in Solms for a fix] irritate me daily and effect the completeness of my working relationship with my [otherwise] camera of choice. For some, these M8 original 'quirks' are not an issue, but for others it was/is; I'm in the latter group and you need to be clear whether you would be too if considering an 'original'.

I'm more critical of the M8 line than most, it's needed design improvements are long overdue, but despite that it remains my camera of choice.

Good luck .

............ Chris

jonoslack

can someone please tell me what IR/CUT filters to buy for a new (to me M8)? will only leica ones work or do the B+W ones do fine? i am not doing any IR work, just looking to avoid any of the IR issues i read about.
There's quite a lot of stuff about this on the web.

I'd say get the Leica ones . . . except for the CV 15 heliar, in which case the stronger B+W one seems to work better when it's coded as a 16mm WATE.

I'm sure the B+W ones aren't too bad, but the are stronger, and especially for wider angle lenses this may mean some colour change out at the corner on coded lenses with IR set to ON.

drazin

i do not have any coded lenses. i have a 35mm summicron v4 (which i think is 39mm filter size) a 50mm summilux v2 (not sure what filter size, does anyone know?) and a VC Nokton 50mm 1.1 (58mm filter size)

I am having trouble figuring out which one is which. (dont want to buy the wrong one)

can someone do me a favor and post a link to the right LINE of filters to choose from?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With the lenses listed you can choose between any of the UV/IR filters from Leica, B+W or Heliopan. Specifically, if you're looking at B+W then you want the B+W 486 UV/IR filters. Personally, I ended up putting on Leica branded UV/IR filters just for the sake of mind of not having to doubt with compatibility but really it's only on wider than 28mm where Leica's formulation makes any difference (it's matched better to the in camera correction).

drazin

B+W 486 UV/IR filters. thanks alot for the info Graham! i saw those but the "product image" showed only black and white so it was confusing to me.

Henry-I have 2 M8s. I am considering selling my black one, and if I do I'd like to package it with the 28 cron that lives on it. It's in great shape, lens is mint. PM me if you might be interested. I'm traveling but will be cyber-connected. However I couldn't ship the camera till I'm back, the first week in September. best....Peter

Bébèrt

Can't make up my mind either.:confused:

I have the M8, it is still in warranty but has suffered some water damage near the powerswitch and has some strange behavers when in use.
--TAKE CARE OF SNOWFLAKES AROUND YOUR POWER/RELEASE SWITCH!!!--

Since it is costley to repair, (no warranty for waterdamage), Solms made an offer to on the M8.2 with is about €720 less than normal.

-Should I go for it?
-Should I save up for the magical dat og 09/09/09???

f1point0

I bought a new one 3 weeks ago for 2/3 of the retail price here in the UK and am having a whale of a time with it. These pics here are from outings in the last two weeks. Great fun for me.

I've been reluctant to buy a used on and can't see the extra money for an M8.2 turning into better pictures for me. Having said that, I'd welcome the new features as I believe they're all enhancements, it's just the cost.

I bought it in full knowledge that the next version could be announced in a matter of a few weeks (as they've stopped building M8.2's), or 12 months, however I think the M8 and the next version will work well together. If it's FF, then it'll be dedicated to my 24mm. :)
Your M8 images are stunning! Amazing stuff. How did you process these? They look so film-like. Did you use IR filters? Which lenses? Thx...

Rolo

Your M8 images are stunning! Amazing stuff. How did you process these? They look so film-like. Did you use IR filters? Which lenses? Thx...
Hi Steve,
Very kind of you.

1st- 90 Elmarit (thin); full frame
2nd - 24mm Elmarit Asph; full frame
3rd - 50mm Elmar-M (I think). Slightly cropped.
All shot with IR filters & 640 iso.

Processed in Photoshop.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I bought it in full knowledge that the next version could be announced in a matter of a few weeks (as they've stopped building M8.2's), or 12 months, however I think the M8 and the next version will work well together. If it's FF, then it'll be dedicated to my 24mm. :)
I think so too - Rolo - those three shots are completely fab - really great - must be the camera :ROTFL:

Where were they taken?