The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Image galleries

robsteve

Subscriber
How do you edit the image galleries to create separate galleries?

As it is now, when I link a picture, say the football, the gallery comes up but the sniper pictures are in with the football pictures.

Can you make a gallery called football and have the link only show the football pictures?

Is it possible to make galleries private so a viewer has to get there via a link? In other words, if I had some football pictures to show, I don't want the people seeing everything else such as family pictures.

Robert

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think you can create category's Robert to do that and also make some Private. Let me look into it with Jack. It's pretty powerful software with lot's of options.

I know Jack is traveling home today from the Boston area, so we will have answers for you but categories is what Jack has done on his uploads , look in the Gallery and expand the Instructor section and you will see below his name the categories he created. You can do that by naming a category in your uploads on the gallery. Making one Private is the one i have to look into and i think that can be done also but let me check into it. We are both learning new software so sorry for any stumbling we have.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Guy, when I go to Image Gallery > Upload Image, there is a section for Category with a drop down list but there is only one option (Regular Member Gallery: etc ...) and there does not seem to be a way to create a new category. Let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to create all this and trying to improve the image gallery.

Guy Mancuso

Let me look into it more with Jack so we can set that up correctly for you folks. I get real nervous playing around in there without my backup person. Let's face it i am a shooter not a programer. I know when to get off the bus and ask for directions. ROTFLMAO

I thought i had it set but I guess not. Thanks for your patience folks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guys, all you do is upload in the Regular Member gallery and it automatically goes into a category with your user-name. If it's your first upload, no worries -- a new category with your name is created automatically on the upload. It's that simple :)

robsteve

Subscriber
Guys, all you do is upload in the Regular Member gallery and it automatically goes into a category with your user-name. If it's your first upload, no worries -- a new category with your name is created automatically on the upload. It's that simple :)
I think I figured it out. The gallery is created using the gallery title you use when uploading the images.

How do we make all the galleries private so that the user can click on see all images by this user?

cmb_

OK, this is how you can create a category.
Click on GetDPI Image Gallery
Click on My Stuff
Click on Category Admin from the drop down list (you have to be in the Image Gallery, the My Stuff button on the front page does not have the Category Admin link)
Click on Add Category Button

Then there are several options. As Guy stated, he did create 3 Categories for each of us it seems. Categories can be open for other members to upload into as well.

Ok I will try it now.

The Gallery Title did not work to create a new Category.

Guy Mancuso

Make sure it appears under your name. Folks i can see more than you so i am not sure always what you see. Since i have admin rights i can do all sorts of things like move stuff, edit and such so sometimes it is hard to see what you are seeing.

the trick and I hope this is happening is that you come up with your name and than you should have 3 category options to make under your name which is the parent that you want to be under. I think that is what it is doing or should be doing . Jack should be back in the morning so he can double check me.

robsteve

Subscriber
I just followed your directions and found the category option. I will have to experiment with it.

Is there anybody that has set up other categories? The problem is when I link an image the previous and next buttons bring images with different titles or out of the series. Try it with your DMR series

Attachments

cmb_

Yes, I hesitate to use this now after looking at it. It doesn't seem to look like it will put it under my name. I don't want to junk up the site.

cmb_

Here is a screenshot of what I see for the Add Category. What do you think Guy?

View attachment 103

There is nothing in the Parent Category drop down list, so I am not sure where it will create it. Maybe by default it will go under my name but it seems it will just make a new category in the main list and that would not be good. So I will wait until Guy or Jack can look at this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Yes it should just follow under your name . Try it we can delete if it goes South . that is if you don't mind

cmb_

I tried it and it will not work. I get a message that I must choose a Parent Category but there is nothing in the drop down list in the Parent Category section. You will have to do something on your end I guess.

Oh well, no hurry.

robsteve

Subscriber
Read my post here, I think it explains how to use the gallery upload pretty well: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54
Jack:

I think I was expecting somthing that wasn't possible. I was looking for galleries that were not public and did not link to my other galleries.

For example, if Guy does a shoot for some Christian Organization and creates a gallery for them to look at, he may not want them seeing some of his images in a gallery of the miltary aparatus and vehicles he shoots.

Robert