The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summarits in stock at Dale Photo & Digital

dfarkas

Workshop Member
FYI:

We have a shipment of Summarit lenses coming in tomorrow. We're getting a few of each lens, except for the 75mm. So, if anyone wants 35, 50, or 90 Summarits, let me know.

Thanks,

David
Dale Photo & Digital

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks David for posting that. David is a really great guy and Dale labs is one of the best Leica Dealers and labs on the East Coast. I traveled with him in Germany for 12 days and we really hit it off as friends. Plus he has a few dollars of mine too. ROTFLMAO

David, that is great news about the Summarits. I was about to be mad you didn't call me before posting this - that is until I read you weren't getting a 75mm. I have a 75mm Summarit loaner for evaluation now and I am very impressed with it. I have posted some samples on LUF. Sorry I can't post them here yet because I don't have ftp access to upload them to my server at the present time. Anyway here is the link if anyone is interested until I can get them posted here.
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/38393-first-impressions-75mm-summarit.html

Guy Mancuso

Great news folks . Leica is sending me a whole set tomorrow to try out so I can give some feed back for you to digest.

Terry

Of course I am most curious to see what the 35 looks like vs. your version IV. But first I'm headed out to buy a safe to lock away my credit cards.

S

Shootist

Of course I am most curious to see what the 35 looks like vs. your version IV. But first I'm headed out to buy a safe to lock away my credit cards.
Buy a pair of scissors. They're cheaper then a safe and more effective.
Now if I could only find my pair.:rolleyes:

Guy, I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Summarits. I have been very pleased with the 75mm so far, but I am curious how it compares to other 75mm lens. I am also curious about the other focal lengths. If the 75mm I have been using is any indication, then Leica will do very well with this new line.

Guy Mancuso

Yes I do have all the lenses to compare against so should be interesting. I will post results here and on the LUF also as soon as the wars end over there. Sean will I am sure do the big test with everything involved and i will just try and compare some images against each just to see how they perform and give folks a idea on that. Full onboard lens testing i leave to Sean , that is work i don't want to do to much of. LOL I like to play too much.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
It will be interesting to see your opinions on the image quality.

Interestingly enough, lately, a lot of bandwidth seems to be utilized to describe concerns about M8 and M lens focus inconsistencies. The Summarits might be a nice option for folks who have concerns about wide-open focus with faster lenses.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

Too much bandwidth. But i understand some of it. Honestly i am a little tired of hearing it. It's like a load pitch going on in your ear.

S

Sean_Reid

Yes I do have all the lenses to compare against so should be interesting. I will post results here and on the LUF also as soon as the wars end over there. Sean will I am sure do the big test with everything involved and i will just try and compare some images against each just to see how they perform and give folks a idea on that. Full onboard lens testing i leave to Sean , that is work i don't want to do to much of. LOL I like to play too much.
Some days I don't feel much like doing it either. <G> I'll start testing all four Summarits later this week. As I mentioned on the LUF, it will be good to have various perspectives on these lenses.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

I agree and i like giving a plug to the dealers that go to the wall for people. David and Dale are right at the top of that list. BTW he asked me first if he could post that he has them in stock. That right there says a lot about David.

gogopix

Subscriber
Guy you're slipping
And the number of 'grab shots' is well below average!

But seriously, I am likely getting into a lot of trouble on the LUF site for daring to point out that the new, one third price Summarits might NOT be as good or even BETTER than the $3-5,000 standard lenses. My average price (thanks to to touting of great cheap lenses like the 135mm R Elmarit) is under $500.

One doesnt need it and I must say I have a collection of over 50 lenses after 50 years (only sold one, a 50mm 3.5 to Kit in Australia, and 6 months later bought it back! I am yes, a pack rat!)

Anyway, Guy one of the things that impresses me in Sean's reviews is his capture of the 'character' of lenses. I can remember you with some 80mm R Lux shots (fashion) that really captured what lens character meant.

I think this could be interesting here; not the tech stuff, but more like the audio philes who say LISTEN, don't measure

Here we should LOOK and perceive not measure.

It will actually show, I believe, that the Summarits come VERY CLOSE to having that character. but, we will not be sending our standard lenses to ebay.

regards
Vic

PS If you need comparators, like the 75mm lux, I can lend you mine

Guy Mancuso

Well I have a few character lenses that should do the trick here the 35 cron Version IV, 50 lux , 75 lux and the 90 apo. At least the 35 and 75 will show that character . I think these Summarits will perform very well to them but I have a sneaking feeling the bokeh may not be the same at 2.8. But at the same time at 5.6 all things being equal. Were really not going to find anything like the 75 lux here wide open or even the 50 lux and 35 lux wide open look . That i believe is just not going to happen . Let's face it 2.5 is not 1.4 but i still have a good feeling these will produce but in a different way than that creamy wide open look. Interesting to see how the 2 90's meet up there both very close in style. What I want to see is the bokeh and look of these compared to there expensive counterparts. What I think you will see people that know there stuff will have at least one or two of these in there bag. Than for folks that travel a lot or are outdoors a lot may have the whole set. But we all know there are speed freaks out there, I'm one of them. So some of us will still want that and Leica needs to still service us that are willing to pay for that speed and look.

Frankly as much as some hate the 75 frame lines and if you have a 75 lux than i would sit on that lens because not sure we will ever see one like that again. i should get the lenses tomorrow or Friday and i am just wrapping up this big project, it is a program book for a Model and Talent convention with about 1600 images that i need to clean up , crop than put into a Quark file and than copy and paste all the text plus design the book with other graphic. 160 pages and will output to 2 gbs of data. I am down to placing the ads in and outputting it so basically 95 percent done and than three shooting jobs before the lenses get here than i am free to play, also with my Zeiss 18mm too.

So i have a lot of testing to do with these 5 lenses , so the forum will be hopping with data. Plus Sean is getting them the same time so this will be great to bounce around our findings.

Don't worry about getting in trouble over at the LUF you are the least of there worries. They will probably ban me because of this site but the workshops needs a website for all of it's announcements and such. Jack and i plan to still be a member over there and post when i can. I also told Leica that i will post my findings on there also and anywhere else i am not already banned. :) This site is not here to steal anyone from anywhere but to give folks someplace to go also. And everyone is welcome and it does not bother Jack or i people talk about or even link to threads over there. This is about learning and sharing. The rest is BS