The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mr. Lee is gone from Leica

jonoslack

Terry

Hi Guy
Quite agree, whether it's gonna happen or not is fairly immaterial, it wasn't going to do anything for sales of the M8, that's for sure.
Hi Jono,
But I think now where it is not clear if the upgrade program is dead or alive, if new M8s might include the upgrades, if full frame is coming or not and all the uncertainties that both Lee's disclosure and subsequent dismissal have brought on will indeed impact sales until there is some clarity.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm not sure we will see any real changes since these programs are already in process and such. Hopefully something will come from Leica on the upgrade program to see if it is still valid though. The R10 i doubt very highly anything will change that. It will be interesting to see what comes next.

Guy Mancuso

Hi Guy
Quite agree, whether it's gonna happen or not is fairly immaterial, it wasn't going to do anything for sales of the M8, that's for sure.
It was just very weird when this happened and not sure if this was the reason or part of it. Guess it really does not matter , gone is gone

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Ah, to hell with it. I just got an M3 and a Nikon Coolscan 5000 coming next week. I think, it's time to order some D76 and Rodinal and look for an M4.

My new Full Frame Digital M Leica systems......

P.S. I do want a quieter shutter for my M8...

robsteve

Subscriber
I wonder if any of it has to do with PMA? There was a bit of hype about something new and exciting at PMA and all we got was a press release with old lenses and the M8 upgrade program.

Was there something supposed to be at PMA that didn't make it?

Was the conflict in the board over where and when Leica should be announcing the new secret products in the works? Perhaps Mr Lee wanted to say more at PMA, but the board preferred to wait until Photokina.

Either way, PMA must have cost Leica a lot of money just to display old wares, not new and cutting edge like everybody else there.

Guy Mancuso

Robert PMA is not a consumer show . It really is a dealer show so it really is not a big announcement show for Leica per say. Canon and Nikon usually make there big announcements here since it is the biggest US show. Leica is a Photokinia announcement show for them since it is in Germany and consumer related. The 28 cron and 75 cron press releases where just to reintroduce them back to the press. The Summarits press release was just to keep that on top of the news. What got out that was not supposed too was any FF support coming in the upgrade program. That is were Mr. Lee leaked it to the press when no leica employee was supposed to even mention it until it's official announcement 8 months from now. When Jack and i walked in we mentioned Lee's comments in the article and obviously it did not go over very well to Leica management that he said something. I don't want to speculate on there feelings when we mentioned this but they were not good. We thought they already heard about it and most forums were already yapping about it. I think they were:wtf:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I never expected much at PMA from Leica. Photokina is the place for them to show their new equipment. Nor can I ever figure out why everyone assumed we would have a FF M this year. The important thing would be a full frame R10. Everyone talks about the M8 not having full frame and it's cost. It has the same size senor as Canon's 1D line (1.3) and they will only take Full frame EOS lenses. It price was right at the M8's until the dollar went into the dumper and it's 10meg. So I don't see a full frame M that critical now.

You want to talk about what was expected and was strangely missing at PMA ask Canon about the 5D replacement.

I just want to see Leica continue. They don't have to have "Oh WOW" products every year. Just a steady conservative product evolution with proven and tested technology.

Guy Mancuso

Yes i think a lot of Canon folks were really depressed nothing was announced to replace the 5d. I was a bit surprised also. I think Nikon finally showed them up a little.

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert PMA is not a consumer show . It really is a dealer show so it really is not a big announcement show for Leica per say. Canon and Nikon usually make there big announcements here since it is the biggest US show. Leica is a Photokinia announcement show for them since it is in Germany and consumer related. :
I was wondering if this was part of the conflict; Mr Lee wanting a big announcement at PMA and Leica wanting to wait until home turf. In Mr Lee's previous work at Best Buy, he would have seen a lot of attention paid to the consumer electronics show in Las Vegas. Perhaps he took PMA more seriously than he should have?

robsteve

Subscriber
I never expected much at PMA from Leica. Photokina is the place for them to show their new equipment. Nor can I ever figure out why everyone assumed we would have a FF M this year. .
John:

I think people were expecting something exciting from Leica because the dealers and the representatives were hinting of something big. As I said a few posts up, it was a bit of a disappointment that the big announcement was just the upgrade program and even that anouncemnet didn't come from Leica until a day or so into the trade show, rather than at the opening night.

Even the press releases were a bit late and were mostly about existing lenses. I still get the feeling there was something not right about PMA. It could be they just were not very organized.

harmsr

Workshop Member
I'll just relax, and wait to see what happens at Photokina.

Relative to Lee getting fired, I would strongly guess that he was having real issues with the productivity / loyalty in the company, and conflicts with the owner. When a CEO or other high level executive is let go in this manner, it is normally something very drastic which is tearing a company apart inside or an ethical issue.

I seriously doubt that the timing and manner in which he was let go, resulted from strategy or leaking information. That type of change is normally handled very differently.

Best,

Ray

David K

Workshop Member
Fellow takes a job as CEO of a company and as he's moving into his office the outgoing CEO hands him three numbered envelopes and tells him to open them in order as he runs into major problems. After a few months he encounters the first problem... opens envelope 1 which says: "Blame prior management"... which is what he does when called before the Board. Couple months go by and another problem arises... opens envelope 2 which says: "Blame economic conditions"... which also works fine for him. Third problem develops shortly thereafter and he opens envelope 3 which says: "Prepare 3 envelopes for the next idiot who wants this job" :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That is classic.
What would have done it for me would have been announcements of a quality improvement program and a revamp and modernization of service worldwide.
That I would have applauded!
I still have a feeling that the web site was the final straw that sunk his ship.
it is almost impossible to reposition the company that way given all of the other issues.