The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New statement by Leica on the M8

stephengilbert

Only "native born" Americans can be President. John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone. Can he be President?

Until the Supreme Court (or Leica) decides, we can't be sure what "extended" means. Especially since the message was probably written in German first and then translated into English. Maybe someone who cares enough should ask Leica.

jonoslack

Only "native born" Americans can be President. John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone. Can he be President?

Until the Supreme Court (or Leica) decides, we can't be sure what "extended" means. Especially since the message was probably written in German first and then translated into English. Maybe someone who cares enough should ask Leica.
:)
I certainly thought I knew what 'extended' meant, and :
"The camera’s warranty will be extended by another year after an upgrade"
would seem to me to mean that the extra year was 'another year' which started after the current warranty expired (of course, I could be wrong!).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually, that's not quite accurate. Only "Natural born US Citizens" can become president, and there is an important difference: Per the US constitution as "extended" in 1790: "And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens."

So McCain is safe :)

Cheers,

S

sirvine

If Leica doesn't run translations of public releases past an English-speaking lawyer, they are truly incompetent.

"The camera’s warranty will be extended by another year after an upgrade."

They should have said "another year following the date of the upgrade's completion", in my opinion.

robsteve

Subscriber
Actually, that's not quite accurate. Only "Natural born US Citizens" can become president, and there is an important difference: Per the US constitution as "extended" in 1790: "And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens."

So McCain is safe :)

Cheers,

That reminds me of a friend I have that dares not go to Cuba. His father was a Canadian diplomat stationed in Cuba during the late 1950's. My firend was born in Cuba and there is the chance if he ever sets foot there he will be put into the obligatory military service every male born in Cuba is required to do.

S

sirvine

Well, it would be an extension unless you have more than one year left on your original warranty. Hence the ambiguity.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see it as ambiguous at all.
Extending the warranty by a year lengthens it by a year no matter where it stands at the point of extension; that if they mean what it says.
The interesting point to me is if the camera were already out of warranty by a year, then it would be extended and used up at the same time.
-bob

LJL

Well, I agree that this wording is a bit more ambiguous than the wording of the original proposed program. On THAT program, it stated that there would be a 2 year warranty from date of upgrade completion. So if a camera were out of warranty, you got two years, just like a new camera. If your camera was still within the warranty window, you still only got two years beyond the upgrade completion, NOT beyond the original warranty.

This revised program merely says it is an "extension". I would read that to mean the warranty would cover things for one year from the completion date of the work. If your camera was out of warranty at that point, you get a new one year. If it was still within warranty, those warranties would run concurrently.

That is how I would interpret this, but after past communications and miscommunications, it still is not all that clear. I agree, Leica needs to have a competent German/English speaking lawyer understand and word this correctly.

LJ

Maggie O

So, wait until the original warranty is about to run out, get a shutter installed, and then, a year later, have new glass installed, and then, a year later, ;) have a FF sensor installed, and then, a year later...buy an M9.

There, a six year plan! Take that, Stalin!!!! SIX! HA!

Daniel

So, wait until the original warranty is about to run out, get a shutter installed, and then, a year later, have new glass installed, and then, a year later, ;) have a FF sensor installed, and then, a year later...buy an M9.

There, a six year plan! Take that, Stalin!!!! SIX! HA!
woo-hoo!!!

(0150, yes i'm still awake!)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Geez, that sounds like the best deal so far.
How about a Leica Subscription?
$2000 per year and they just keep you up to date and under continuous passport warranty.
At least they could change the color of the "dot" every year or maybe put the last two digits of the year on it so that you can show it off to the rest of the Hermes crowd.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't see any ambiguity to this at all: extension means extension, which is 1 additional year to what you already have whether that is 0 or 2 years... And it makes sense as a change from the original 2 years new warranty, which was a new beginning at the time of the work, which penalized someone who had the work done to a new camera. Guy and I pointed this flaw out to them at PMA...

Cheers,

jonoslack

I don't see any ambiguity to this at all: extension means extension, which is 1 additional year to what you already have whether that is 0 or 2 years... And it makes sense as a change from the original 2 years new warranty, which was a new beginning at the time of the work, which penalized someone who had the work done to a new camera. Guy and I pointed this flaw out to them at PMA...

Cheers,
Certainly that's what I assumed - interesting that the mention of CLA has gone . . . . let's hope the CLA hasn't gone too!

woodyspedden

Certainly that's what I assumed - interesting that the mention of CLA has gone . . . . let's hope the CLA hasn't gone too!
the point is that while there is much "logic" behind the assumptions, no one really knows the truth.

Come on Leica.........Clarify

Woody Spedden

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy just got this, clear as can be from Stephan Daniels...

"The camera's warranty will be extended by another year after an upgrade.
(This is the sentence we stated in the newsletter).

This means: on top of the (still running) original warranty (2 years) we will grant one year additional warranty for all functions of the camera after the upgrade. The newer the camera, the longer the warranty.

Before there was a two year warranty after the upgrade, but not taking into account the running warranty on the camera. Example: having bought an M8 yesterday would have resulted in no additional warranty. With the current scheme, customer will have 3 years in total.

Please let me know if it is clear now.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Stefan Daniel"

W

wilsonlaidlaw

If the CLA has gone, the sapphire glass will be the most expensive bit of glass since the Hubble Telescope (hope it works better). Unless they are going to replace the entire LCD and not just the cover glass/plastic, we all know that the current cover can be removed in less than 5 minutes work with a hair dryer. Yet again, Leica is doing a disservice to its clients by making ambiguous, contradictory and unclear statements - don't they ever learn?

Wilson

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Jack for posting that for me . I have 5 minutes to get back to shooting but wanted folks to know that info from Solms which i sent a e-mail this morning on clarification of the warranty

Morning Guy,

The camera's warranty will be extended by another year after an upgrade.

(This is the sentence we stated in the newsletter).

This means: on top of the (still running) original warranty (2 years) we will grant one year additional warranty for all functions of the camera after the upgrade. The newer the camera, the longer the warranty.

Before there was a two year warranty after the upgrade, but not taking into account the running warranty on the camera. Example: having bought an M8 yesterday would have resulted in no additional warranty. With the current scheme, customer will have 3 years in total.

Please let me know if it is clear now.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Stefan Daniel

Terry

That is very good news for me and other newer camera owners. Seemed sort of silly that someone who wanted an upgrade and was willing to pay for it but had a new camera would be at a disadvantage.