The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Super Angulon 21 3/4 Condition Question

ShiroKuro

I have a chance to buy this lens locally for 1500.00 from a friend.
It is pristine except for a miniscule scratch /bump on the outer edge of the metal ring surrounding the front element where the lens hood attaches...

What I am wondering is about the discoloration behind the rear element .
Is this just an effect from the adhesive or is it something I should be concerned about ?

I am going to use this lens so the imperfection or whatever do not bother me . I just do not have the experience when it come to buying a vintage lens.
So wondering what your opinion is about the condition and the price .

Black serial # is in the 267 0000 's

Comes with box,lens hood, front and rear cap

Thanks for your input ,

Charles

Last edited:

helenhill

As YOU know I had one...
TOOK some Quite FAB pictures with it
I even had 11 x 16 prints made
My SA21 was in the very last 100 Batch made.
Tom Abrahmson had the one right after my Number /#2917099
Tom says everything after the 2500xxx series has more center Sharpness
and abit less Vignetting and lots of RETRO Character

The lens had three spots on the Front Element otherwise it was in EXC Condtion
I didn't even Notice those spots they were so small
but it was brought to my Attention when I tried to sell it. So i traded it at Kevincameras for something else (kevin is a Doll)

What I have LEARNED:
FRONT Element spots generally do not affect Picture Quality (depending on what it is_
REAR Element spots are more Likely to give YOU Trouble

My lens Cost: $1050.00 w/rear cap & a Beautiful Hood
Its still up for Sale at Kevincameras

Beautiful Signature the 21 SA

yada, yada.... Helen

Last edited:

ShiroKuro

Thanks Helen for the info .
I will call Kevin tomorrow... maybe I will end up with your old lens ; )

The spots are not on the glass but on the inside ... perhaps its schnideritis or its just normal for a lens this age ? Not knowing if there is problem makes me very hesitant to pay top dollar . Sounds like the one you traded to Kevin might be a much better deal .

Aloha .... Charley

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Charley,
I have dealt with Kevin and would trust him. If you decide to pursue the lens in the picture, why don't you email the picture to Don Goldberg, DAG. He is a top Leica repairman. I would trust Don's advice. [email protected] is his email.
I did have a 21 SA when I had my M8. I also used it on film M's. It is a wonderful lens with lots of character--as Helen has stated.

ShiroKuro

Thanks Cindy ....
Just sent an email off to DAG and will call Kevin after my morning coffee ...

Aloha ,
Charley

ShiroKuro

DAG wrote back instantly .... very cool of him to take the time ....
Here is what he had to say :

Charles,

from what the photo shows & from what I've seen of the 21mm S.A. lenses, looks like the grey spots are all within the black paint that's painted around some of the inner lens elements. I was told that moisture within the black paint causes the paint to eventually have these grey spots. Optically, nothing is wrong w/the lens due to these grey spots. This lens should be as good as the day it was made. Repainting the inner elements is very very difficult & I would leave it as is.

regards,

Don
DAG

Kevin was also very helpful ..

Thanks again Cindy and Helen ; )