Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4

Haya

Re: Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4

Hi LJ thanks for your input it's reassuring to hear that you can still enjoy the nokton 1.2 even though you own a noctilux !

I was reading a thread on LUF regarding the Summarit and thought maybe I am expecting too much from the nokton but now I'm pretty sure I made the right decision and I can't wait to get my hands on the lens <prays to the fedex gods for an early delivery>

about the cv 15/4.5 I don't know if I'll be able to code and filter it seems like a hassle to me especially since I live half way around the world and really have no experience with making any sort of modifications to my lenses I hope it will work just as well naked

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haya View Post
    about the cv 15/4.5 I don't know if I'll be able to code and filter it seems like a hassle to me especially since I live half way around the world and really have no experience with making any sort of modifications to my lenses I hope it will work just as well naked
    Haya,
    Naked is good on the CV 15 for most shooting. The only times that I have found the UV/IR filter and coding to matter are shooting things that do have a lot of IR "problems" already noted, e.g., synthetic black fabrics under tungsten light or even in bright sun. The only other place were some folks found it to matter for their shooting is with new foliage....it tends to give off a lot of IR and sometimes that may cause the colors of greens to look a bit odd. (Another participant on this forum and others, Jono Slack, has seen some of this, I believe.) For the most part, shooting with the CV 15 is just great and does not really need the filter/coding.

If you decide at some point that you might want to pursue that, a great guy by the name of John Milich (a member on this forum and others), mills a new LTM>M mount for the CV 15 that brings up the proper register for the lens tables in the M8 software, and it has the little wells in place to allow you to code the lens to mimic the Leica 16-18-21 WATE lens. I think he also has a filter holder piece for the lens to allow you to use a Leica 39mm UV/IR filter with it. It all seems to work very nicely for folks. (I did my own mods before John had his offering.) Just offering this up as a suggestion for some future consideration if you get interested.

In the meantime, enjoy shooting and sharing your experiences here.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

The CV15/4 crams in so much that a little purplish black may not seem out of place, and there are postprocessing tricks to darken those colors (the Jamie Roberts profiles for PhaseOne, in particular). I highly recommend the Milich mount for a durable coding (as a WATE or a 21 Elmarit), but if you don't want to do that, use Cornerfix to correct any image in which you don't care for the vignetting. This also corrects the red vignetting which occurs even without an IR-cut filter. Finally, the M-Coder solution, while not permanent, works pretty well to ink on the markings. If "halfway around the world" means Israel, I'll be back there in September and you are welcome to try mine.

scott

Haya

Thanks again LJ at least I know what to expect now with regards to IR I guess I'll just have to try it out and see if the images I take require the filter with time.

Scott thanks for the offer but it's a bit further east than Israel, I'm in Bahrain. I guess I will try out the cornerfix software and if it's not very practical I'll go for the Milich adapter!
    Last edited by Haya; 9th April 2008 at 06:45.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both the Milich adapter and the Milich IR filter holder/lens shade and I think my results speak for themselves.

CV 15/4 Super-Wide Heliar Photos

Post Thanks / Like

Those work for me.....great stuff, Maggie.

Were I doing the CV 15 stuff today, I would go with the Milich set-up (adapter and filter holder), but I did my mods on my own....replaced the LTM>M that shipped with the CV 15 with a Leica 28/90 mount I ordered online. Did my own coding (that M-Coder tool would have been handy, but was not available at the time). I used the O-ring technique to install the Leica 39mm UV/IR cut filter into the existing CV 15 tiny shade and all works fine. More of tinker exercise, and why I would recommend the Milich stuff today.

The CornerFix software tool works quite well also, so one can shoot naked and fix anything in post if they felt the need.

Things have come a long way since those early confusing days in Nov 2006 when some of us were mumbling (WTF?) about the magenta seen on folks in our indoor shots ;-)

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The only downside to the Milich filter holder is that it is comparatively large. A tiny lens without it, the CV15 becomes my biggest lens with it.

Cornerfix works aces (provided you've got a good profile to work with), but unless you're willing to delete the original .DNGs the duplicate files eat up space crazy fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    The only downside to the Milich filter holder is that it is comparatively large. A tiny lens without it, the CV15 becomes my biggest lens with it.

Cornerfix works aces (provided you've got a good profile to work with), but unless you're willing to delete the original .DNGs the duplicate files eat up space crazy fast.
    Had not realized it was that large on the front end. My Rube Goldberg version keeps the CV 15 at the same size.....even use the supplied felt-lined lens cap on mine. Only downside is loss of lens shading to some degree, but I have yet to find it much a problem.

As for eating up extra space with files.....well, at 16TB of storage and growing, most of that is a "rounding error" in my thinking, but it does add up after a while

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I barely have 1TB of storage, so for me, space is a major concern.

Haya

mmm TB lol I need me some of those ! I have way less than a TB I think I need to buy more storage I just need to find something portable I can't leave my photos away from my laptop I always feel the need to browse my stuff!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sean, my offer to lend you my lens for testing still stands, FWIW.

On that note, does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about the backfocusing issue? I'd really like to be able to be reasonably sure of wide-open focus. When I get it right, this lens makes gorgeous photos.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    I use the Milich adaptor for coding, as for the filter, I stuck pushed a 39mm B&W filter into the built in lens hood with a little pritt on it around a year ago, and it's stayed put since then (I'm sure I could pull it out if I wanted to). The lens is just the same size as it was (and the original push on lens hood works).

I actually think that coding and filter IS a must - I shot without for 9 months, determinedly thinking it was only black synthetics which were wrong, but I think that most foliage is wrong, especially in the springtime.

I found that the slightly stronger B&W IR filter was better with the 15mm when coded as a WATE. (normally the Leica filters work better with coding on).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean, my offer to lend you my lens for testing still stands, FWIW.

On that note, does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about the backfocusing issue? I'd really like to be able to be reasonably sure of wide-open focus. When I get it right, this lens makes gorgeous photos.
    Same for me Sean. Your call

Woody

Haya

I'm gonna hijack this thread again regarding the 15mm Heliar I have a question to all of you who use the Milich hood w/ filter what do you use for a lens cap as the stock lens cap won't fit with the hood?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a big ol' plastic lens cap, a 48mm, I think, which fits over the hood.

Haya

Thanks maggie !!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% positive on the size. Also, I had to file the interior ridge out of it for it to really fit well.

Haya

well it's good enough that one can possibly fit a lens cap I wasn't sure if you had to remove the hood every time you wanted to cover the lens, Ill just have to take the hood with me to the camera shops and look for a cap that will fit, which will be a HUGE challenge living in the 3rd world and all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haya View Post
    well it's good enough that one can possibly fit a lens cap I wasn't sure if you had to remove the hood every time you wanted to cover the lens, Ill just have to take the hood with me to the camera shops and look for a cap that will fit, which will be a HUGE challenge living in the 3rd world and all.
    I hear ya. Or, as my friend Nicholas, who is from Trinidad, said to me when we met at university:

"Nebraska? Excellent! Another student form a 3rd world country!! We shall be fast friends!" (and we were, too.)

Haya

Haha! too funny

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael says the lens cap was Schnieder 68mm.
    Last edited by Maggie O; 14th April 2008 at 13:13.

Haya

68mm .... I doubt I'll find one that size ... I better start looking on line !

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine from B&H, IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michael says the lens cap was Schnieder 68mm.
    That is correct

Woody

Haya

Thanks I'll check the B&H site

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie,
    My Noctilux was backfocusing when I got it from Leica. Instead of sending it to Leica under warranty, I chose to send it to DAG (Don Goldberg). It cost me $135 to have it calibrated and shipped back. I could then focus right on at f/1. I think it is worth the money to have these tools spot on. I also sent my 75 lux to Don, and now it is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Maggie, this is going to sound boring, but it won't take that long. First find out just where your lens focuses at the center at f/1.4, f/2.8, f/5.6. The quickest way is to mark up a piece of lined note paper, by drawing a nice dark vertical line from top to bottom, and drawing large arrows from each side pointing at the very middle of the paper. Put the paper down on a flat surface and shoot down at a 30 to 45 degree angle from about two meters away The arrows are where you want to focus, and you can place the rangefinder crossing very accurately.

Then you just shoot two tries focusing carefully on the arrows at each f-stop, and see how the center of the sharpest focus region differs from where the rangefinder thinks it should be. And how that point moves as you stop down. If the error is constant at all f-stops, except fior a shift (and softening) at f/1.4, you could get the lens adjusted to focus at all apertures except wide open, and correct by a constant percentage at f/1.4. If the piece of paper is big enough, you can also see how the position of sharpest focus changes at the edges of the field (field curvature).

This may seem like adapting to the lens rather than making the lens do what you want, but at least you will know what it is doing.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Sean is going to be testing my lens and depending on what he finds, I may send it on to DAG or go with Scott's idea.

Here's a photo @ f1.4 here the focus is spot-on:

Normally, that bear is in my mom's room, but Bob brought it down to me the other night and presented it as a gift, right at my feet. He was so proud of his "kill."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

MnS, hunting:

The Nokton Classic MC, ISO160, somewhere between f1.7 and f2.8. Look how sharp the cat's whiskers and hairs are. Nice bokeh, too. IMNSHO.

Michael Rivers

I just received the 35mm 1.4 SC from Stephen Gandy and had some fun today in Burlington, VT. I bought the lens for B&W, but enjoy the color renditions as well.

35mm Flicker Set

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My Amp, April, 2008

The Nokton Classic, wide open on the M8. It could probably serve as a self-portrait!

Haya

Maggie I love the Hunting shot!

Great set Michael enjoy the lens

Sean_Reid

Wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you.

I ain't gonna work with Maggie's lens no more.

<G>! Sorry...couldn't resist. Door prize for the correct identification of both lines.

------

Seriously, thanks for the test lens. So far, it looks like its performing just like the other two samples I tested. I'll test Woody's lens next but I think we can start give the sample variation question a little less weight with this CV 35/1.4. Four samples are only four samples but if all four show the same performance then I believe we have a bit of a trend. People may have to accept that this lens is what it is, pros and cons and all. Of course, for decades people have been doing outstanding work with lenses that were not technically stellar.

BTW, Maggie, you are the most thorough packer I have ever seen. I thought I was extra careful when I packed but I am not in your league. And you even sent an extra filter just in case - very classy.

Woody, your lens arrived in one piece as well but you and I are just ordinary packers compared to Maggie.

Best,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ref. 1: "Maggie Mae," most famously sung by Rod "Frightful Scottish Fright Wig Scot's Hair" Stewart

Ref. 2: "Maggie's Farm," most famously written and sung by Bob "Frightful Minnesota Jewro Hair" Zimmerman, nee Dylan.

Interesting initial results, Sean. I look forward to reading a more complete report.

I figured that since the filter lives on the lens anyways, why not send it along?

Oh, and I have a confession. I got a ringer to pack the lens! A packing and shipping pro! (though I did once do a stint as the packing and shipping person at a robotics company) I have to admit that I've come to like that odd little lens, warts and all, so I wanted to make sure it arrived in good kit.

And now a photo from said lens, just because:

Shot @ f1.4, BTW. Extra points for identifying the books sitting under my "Oh look, it's The Doctor's 'Clever Speccs' glasses." (sadly, the photo on the desk is not one of my own, as my family seems to actively dislike my work)

Sean_Reid

I expected no less. Of course you know the great Maggie songs. But I didn't know that Dylan took on his stage name after marrying Joan Baez?! <G> (And after his stint as "Bobby V" in his own imagination).

I'm crashing and burning on the book ID.

More later...amazing packing...talk of the studio....<G>

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    I expected no less. Of course you know the great Maggie songs. But I didn't know that Dylan took on his stage name after marrying Joan Baez?! <G> (And after his stint as "Bobby V" in his own imagination).

I'm crashing and burning on the book ID.

More later...amazing packing...talk of the studio....<G>

Cheers,

Sean
    You know Sean as I read all of this I realize that I am primarily a mid-distance shooter and usually shoot at 5.6 or so. Perhaps my lens has the problem and I just don't see it based on the type of shooting I do. It will be interesting to see if, like all the others, my lens shows the same problem

Woody

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    You know Sean as I read all of this I realize that I am primarily a mid-distance shooter and usually shoot at 5.6 or so. Perhaps my lens has the problem and I just don't see it based on the type of shooting I do. It will be interesting to see if, like all the others, my lens shows the same problem

Woody
    Hiya Woody,

We'll know tomorrow.

Best,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Hi Again Woody,

Well, the good news is that your example of the lens is as good as any I've tested (better than some). The bad news is that it still behaves like the first two.

I don't think its sample variation we're dealing with, I think its just the way that lens model is.

Details at 11:00 (or sooner <G>).

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post

Woody
    Right, mid-distance at F/5.6 or F/8 and the lens should be fine.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Sean get all his posts deleted in this thread?

I appear to be answering non-existent questions like some kind of madwoman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did Sean get all his posts deleted in this thread?

I appear to be answering non-existent questions like some kind of madwoman.
    If you keep that up you may end up as a chapter in "Schott's Original Miscellany".

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

To me, this lens, and the CV 40/1.4 are great at F2 and up. For faster than f2, I prefer the Rokkor 40/2, Noctilux f1, Summilux any, CV Nokton 35/1.2 and Nokton 50/1.5. Just my preference.
    My Photography Blog here

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    If you keep that up you may end up as a chapter in "Schott's Original Miscellany".

Tim
    Well, it's a bit late for that, but perhaps I might make Schott's Miscellany 2008.

Burkey

Hello,
    I have a Nokton 35/1.4 on the way to use with my M8. Any suggestions what to code it? It's been suggested to code it like a "35mm f/1.4 Type 2 Pre-Asph" but that lens isn't listed on the most recent version found at http://whimster-photography.com/leic...des/index.html Any suggested coding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    . . . Burkey

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Maggie and Scott,

What I do when testing lens for focus shift is put items to the left and right of the center subject focused on, at specific space intervals, usually about an inch or 2-3cm.

Maybe 2-3 items in front, and 2-3 items in back. This quickly tells me if I have focus shift, front, or back focus, and how much. I use a laser distance device, backed up with a tape measure from focal plane/sensor plane to lettering on front plane of objects.

Initial setup takes a while ~1/2 hour or so, but then I can snap away while logging notes.

I think the CV 35/1.4 focus shifts across apertures, like the Sonnar 50/1.5, but what concerns me most is the distortion, and occasional weird bokeh wide open.

btw - nice Hamer and AST photo in the original flickr set!

I am not evenly remotely methodical enough to do all that!
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    I think it probably has focus shift. If you look at the shots of your sister, the ones at f1.4 are soft, while the the f2 are nice and sharp.
    Sean Reid did a review of the Nokton 35 1.4 and in fact used mine as one of his samples and I believe that Cindy Flood provided the other.

Both lenses back focused but one of the lenses was much worse than the other

Seems as though this backfocusing is part of what you get.

Otherwise a credible lens to be sure (and for this amount of money)

Woody

canon5dshooter

Does it only back focus when you stop down or when it is wide open? I was thinking of getting one of these to use on an M9 when I get an M9.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canon5dshooter View Post
    Does it only back focus when you stop down or when it is wide open?...
    Stop down. Mine is on at f/1.4 and f/2. See http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...-f1-4-a-2.html

canon5dshooter

Thats fine with me I reckon. I would rather have it on target near the larger aperture values anyway.