The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4

Maggie O

Did Sean get all his posts deleted in this thread? :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I appear to be answering non-existent questions like some kind of madwoman. :thumbdown:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Did Sean get all his posts deleted in this thread? :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I appear to be answering non-existent questions like some kind of madwoman. :thumbdown:
If you keep that up you may end up as a chapter in "Schott's Original Miscellany".

;)

Tim

ampguy

To me, this lens, and the CV 40/1.4 are great at F2 and up. For faster than f2, I prefer the Rokkor 40/2, Noctilux f1, Summilux any, CV Nokton 35/1.2 and Nokton 50/1.5. Just my preference.

ampguy

Hi Maggie and Scott,

What I do when testing lens for focus shift is put items to the left and right of the center subject focused on, at specific space intervals, usually about an inch or 2-3cm.

Maybe 2-3 items in front, and 2-3 items in back. This quickly tells me if I have focus shift, front, or back focus, and how much. I use a laser distance device, backed up with a tape measure from focal plane/sensor plane to lettering on front plane of objects.

Initial setup takes a while ~1/2 hour or so, but then I can snap away while logging notes.

I think the CV 35/1.4 focus shifts across apertures, like the Sonnar 50/1.5, but what concerns me most is the distortion, and occasional weird bokeh wide open.

btw - nice Hamer and AST photo in the original flickr set!

I am not evenly remotely methodical enough to do all that! :ROTFL:

woodyspedden

I think it probably has focus shift. If you look at the shots of your sister, the ones at f1.4 are soft, while the the f2 are nice and sharp.
Sean Reid did a review of the Nokton 35 1.4 and in fact used mine as one of his samples and I believe that Cindy Flood provided the other.

Both lenses back focused but one of the lenses was much worse than the other

Seems as though this backfocusing is part of what you get.

Otherwise a credible lens to be sure (and for this amount of money)

Woody

C

canon5dshooter

Does it only back focus when you stop down or when it is wide open? I was thinking of getting one of these to use on an M9 when I get an M9.

Thx

C

canon5dshooter

Thats fine with me I reckon. I would rather have it on target near the larger aperture values anyway.

Maggie O

Sean Reid did a review of the Nokton 35 1.4 and in fact used mine as one of his samples and I believe that Cindy Flood provided the other.

Both lenses back focused but one of the lenses was much worse than the other

Seems as though this backfocusing is part of what you get.

Otherwise a credible lens to be sure (and for this amount of money)

Woody
I provided the other lens Sean tested, and it was quite bad, so Stephen Gandy replaced it for me with another copy, which has no noticeable focus problems and has become a workhorse for me.

stevem8

I have to say I got one of these lenses in to test out and it is showing ZERO focus shift. I did controlled testing today and saw NO shift. It was sharp at 1.4, and got better when stopping down.

Its a sweet lens and Im not usually a fan of Voigtlander glass. So sweet in fact that I am buying one for myself. I just hope the one I get is a good one.

A

Aliesewly

Last Page

I love it at the stores in our area. Even if you are rightfully one of the first in line, everyone just glares at you like you shouldnt be there. I especially loved last year when I got a digital camera on sale at KMart. Got the last one, and everybody flipped. Then, the 2GB SD cards were on sale for like 12, I think. I had to make several attempts at getting over to their location because it was a popular spot for the elderly to hang out for some reason.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Has anyone worked the CV 35/1.4 on an M9 yet? How are the edges/corners?

Any opinions on how this lens compares to the Leica summilux (asph or pre-asph) or summicron (asph or pre-asph) versions?

Time for me to get a 35 on my M9, and thinking about the CV here.

Thanks,
Mike

ampguy

Hi Mike, I don't own the CV 35/1.4, but have heard it is a pretty good lens. From what I have seen on web images it compares well with Summicrons from F2 on (I've owned the 35 cron v3, v4, and asph), but does have more focus shift, and a bit of noticeable distortion, mostly with close up images.

As far as comparing with the pre-asph lux, the lux has more glow (mainly veiling flare) that some like, mostly when wide open, no noticeable focus shift, from which some samples of the CV lens may have. And no discernible distortions compared with crons.

I haven't compared edge sharpness, but wouldn't be surprised if the CV were sharper at edges than the pre-asph lux.

The CV can, in some circumstances, have a bit of harsh bokeh, if that is a concern. You can see this if you peruse some flickr galleries.

Also, min. focus distance of the CV is .7m, and is 1m for the pre-asph lux.

I haven't owned or used a 35 lux asph.

Hope some of this helps.

Here are some examples of what the 35/1.4 pre-asph does with the M8 at ISO 2500 wide open.

Has anyone worked the CV 35/1.4 on an M9 yet? How are the edges/corners?

Any opinions on how this lens compares to the Leica summilux (asph or pre-asph) or summicron (asph or pre-asph) versions?

Time for me to get a 35 on my M9, and thinking about the CV here.

Thanks,
Mike